Sata 3 Card for X58

mlapgw

Gawd
I have a p658xd motherboard.
I recently purchased a Crucial M4 512gb ssd drive. It has been sitting here for a few weeks, I have not installed it.

Sadly I understand from reading that the Sata 3 on my x58 board isn't that great.

Would it help if I purchased a card like this to plug the new SSD into? Would the difference be noticed or something I'd only see if I was into benchmarking?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816115072

If something like this would be the better way to go I'd be willing to spend up to $75.00 in case there is a superior card.

In case it matters, it is the computer in my sig, I will use it for gaming and AutoCad LT.

Just plug your SSD into the Intel SATA II ports. You will not find any cheap SATA III ports that are better than the Intel SATA II ports.

If you're wiling to spend a bit more, the IBM M1015 converted to the LSI 9211-8i IT HBA or IR MegaRAID works great. You'd just need 2 Mini-SAS to SATA cables though.

Just my honest opinion but it's the best purchase I've made in a long time for storage.

It will offer SATA3 sequential speeds but will impact response times negatively. Better stay on Intel SATA2.

It will offer SATA3 sequential speeds but will impact response times negatively. Better stay on Intel SATA2.

I haven't seen this at all with testing. What are the target access/response times supposed to be for SATAIII SSDs & HDDs?

I haven't seen this at all with testing. What are the target access/response times supposed to be for SATAIII SSDs & HDDs?

There is no such thing as a target for SATAIII, its all relative. However since the Intel SATAIII ports are right off the CPU (straight shot), that means less latency and therefore better random access times.

Last edited:
There is no such thing as a target for SATAIII, its all relative. However since the Intel SATAIII ports are right off the CPU (straight shot), that means less latency and therefore better random access times.

Ah, thanks for the clarification. I guess I don't notice much of a difference as far as access time goes.

It's pretty well know that there's nothing under 400.00 that will be better all around than the ICH10.

Buying a new MB is a cheaper solution.

ASmedia 1061 is a good Sata3 controller. Decent performance and available on Ebay for $12

Thank you for the information. Guess it sounds like the on board Sata 3 on my motherboard may as well not even be there. Makes me sad.
I did put a bid in on a IBM M1015 flashed to an LSI9211-8i on ebay. It is still a handful of days away from concluding, I suspect I will be out bid by then.
It is likely I'll have to do what is recommended here and plug into the Sata 2 ports until I'm ready to build a new computer, which may not be for a while.

It's pretty well know that there's nothing under 400.00 that will be better all around than the ICH10.

Buying a new MB is a cheaper solution.
Yeah $400.00 or more would definitely kill the idea for me.
In my case buying a new motherboard may not be a cheaper solution when you factor in I would also have to buy a new Hex core processor and ram as well.

Back