SATA and Serial ATA

Ben83red

Weaksauce
what is the difference, and i think my mobo uses Serial ATA how do you get the SATA with 3gb sec transer rates. since Serial ATA is 150 mb/s. Sorry if i sound like a complete dumbass, but i just woke up and need caffene.

SATA 150 uses the SATA interface, but the drives are ordinary PATA with an sata bridge. Basically no benefit over PATA except easier cabling, hot swappability, and more bandwidth - not that any drive can saturate an ATA 133 bus.
SATA II (3.0Gbps) is true serial ata (as opposed to using an sata bridge) and supports additional features like NCQ, port multipliers, and more.
What motherboard do you have? If it doesnt have SATA II ports, you're out of luck. If it does have SATA II ports, you still need an SATA II drive to take advantage of things like NCQ. But dont expect transfer speeds to magically increase if you use SATA II ports. The channels might be capable of 300mb/s instead of 150mb/s, but the drives wont be able to sustain transfer speeds remotely close to either of those.

The SATA (Serial ATA, for short) specifications do not distinguish bridged solutions (those that use ATA to SATA bridge chips) from so-called native SATA devices.

Also, SATA II is not a specification, but merely a committee which discussed the development of second-generation SATA features. Shortly following the committee's meeting, the SATA 2.5 specification was born. SATA 2.5 mandated most if not all of the second-generation features discussed. This includes NCQ, 3 Gbps transfer rate, port multiplier, etc.

That said, any controller or device claiming "SATA II" compatibility does not necessarily include support for all SATA 2.5 features. However, one that claims SATA 2.5 support is guaranteed to include all said features.

If you want second-generation SATA features like 3 Gbps (300 MB/s) transfer rate, your hard drive and hard drive controller must support it. There are controller cards for these features available if your motherboard doesn't support them.

RavenD said:
SATA 150 uses the SATA interface, but the drives are ordinary PATA with an sata bridge.
With the exception being Samsung disc drives which do not use a bridge.

wallijonn said:
Seagate hard drives have never used a bridge either, from day one. That does not however make it any more or less of a Serial ATA device, from a connectivity standpoint.

wallijonn said:
Samsung SP P80 (except for JJ SKUs) use a bridge chip. JD WD SKUs use a bridge chip, as do Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 SATA units.

Back