SATA Cable Flexibility

Nihilanth99

2[H]4U
Just how flexible are SATA cables? To what lengths can I safely go in terms of cable management and bundling? I've never gotten a straight answer on this, so I've always been delicate, perhaps overly so. Is there anything to worry about regarding shielding and interference?

Thanks.

SATA Cable Flexibility

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just how flexible are SATA cables? To what lengths can I safely go in terms of cable management and bundling? I've never gotten a straight answer on this, so I've always been delicate, perhaps overly so. Is there anything to worry about regarding shielding and interference?

Thanks.

The common sata cables I have been using are flexible enough to bend safely within reason. I have read sata cables can be up to 1 meter in length. Despite satas' flex, I do not recommend pinching them together in a tight "S". Please allow for a little strain relief. For what I have seen the weak point in sata cable managment is the attachment sockets themselves. At least with the early versions of sata, the sockets could break under the sata male connectors' strain. I have never seen EMI issues in sata wires yet.

Here is an sata entry from Wikipedia for more info.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA

Thank you.

Back