SATA DVD-RW

AdamNesvick

2[H]4U
Ok, I am tryin to get away from PATA completely, are there any out there at a good price?

I know plextor makes one, but I'm cheap :D

AFAIK, Plextor is the only one that makes SATA optical drives, and it seems that people have nothing but problems with them

My friend just bought it and it works perfect on his ASUS A8N32-SLI.. I'm going to purchase this Plextor SATA DVD-RW drive for my next rig I'm building right now to see how it goes. Most of the people that write the reviews for these horror stories and have problems are using older SATA controllers/chipsets. I also noticed that Plextor just put a new Firmware update for it on their website that solves most of the problems people have been having.

My PX-716SA has been working great since I bought it last September with the system below

Got a Plextor PX-755SA 16X model here running on an ASUS A8N-SLI motherboard and loving it.

http://www.plextorshop.com/products/755SA.htm

Its fast, quiet, and SATA, so 3 wins in my book.

If you snag one, make sure you update the firmware to at least 1.04 as most of them are still shipping with 1.02, also load up on 16X Verbatim media for the best results.

tazzmissionx said:
AFAIK, Plextor is the only one that makes SATA optical drives, and it seems that people have nothing but problems with them

wrong

Samsung has them too

when it comes to verbatim be careful, don't buy media made in India, those are made by Moser Bauer, horrible quality.

when it comes to Verbatim made in Taiwan, those are not made by Mitsubishi Chemicals either, they are out sourced to either CMC or Prodisc, you can find out wich one you by Serial number on inner ring. CMC made Verbatim media usually burns better.

For best results always get Taiyo Yuden media, you can sometimes find them in Best Buy, most Fuji made in Japan are Taiyo, Panasonic made in Japan is Taiyo, and some Sony made in Japan are Taiyo.

nekrosoft13 said:
wrong

Samsung has them too

when it comes to verbatim be careful, don't buy media made in India, those are made by Moser Bauer, horrible quality.

when it comes to Verbatim made in Taiwan, those are not made by Mitsubishi Chemicals either, they are out sourced to either CMC or Prodisc, you can find out wich one you by Serial number on inner ring. CMC made Verbatim media usually burns better.

For best results always get Taiyo Yuden media, you can sometimes find them in Best Buy, most Fuji made in Japan are Taiyo, Panasonic made in Japan is Taiyo, and some Sony made in Japan are Taiyo.

The packs of Verbatim I'm using come up as Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, and work better than anything else I've tried with this drive. Other brands that are rated 16X wont burn above 10-12X on this thing, only the Verbatims hit that speed and make good quality burns for me.

I didn't know there were differences in Verbatim disks, so its something I'll keep an eye on, but so far, I wouldnt use any other brand except TY, but I never remember what to look for when I'm out shopping for blanks as far as country of manufacture versus brand..

As far as which drive to buy, its a crapshoot really. This 755SA works mint for me, though others have had issues, even when using an approved motherboard. Read all the reviews you can find on both models, then pick yer poison. If possible, do like I did and buy local so if there's an issue, its easier to return or exchange.

Good luck!

not a single verbatim made in Taiwan is made by Mitsubishi Chemicals. ZERO, NADA.

they use the same technic(or very close it), they still have the same Media ID.

but if you look at the inner circle, if the serial number starts with PAPA, then the disc are made by CMC.

If the serial number looks something like this 123456+789012 (notice the +) then its made by Prodisc.

you can only find real verbatims in very small numbers in Europe, and Asia

I looked up the Samsung and it's model # SH-W163A that I find as SATA. But I can't seem to locate a US e-tailer, anyone have a lead?

nekrosoft13 said:
not a single verbatim made in Taiwan is made by Mitsubishi Chemicals. ZERO, NADA.

they use the same technic(or very close it), they still have the same Media ID.

but if you look at the inner circle, if the serial number starts with PAPA, then the disc are made by CMC.

If the serial number looks something like this 123456+789012 (notice the +) then its made by Prodisc.

you can only find real verbatims in very small numbers in Europe, and Asia

The ones I have here don't match either of those, DVD or CD.

I dont see PAPA or any + symbol mixed in with the letters/numbers on the inner circle.

Oh well, I'm not gonna lost any sleep over it in any case. These blanks work fine in this drive and thats all that really matters. I knew going into this anyway that to burn a DVD at 16X and have it be a quality burn that the media would need to be more than the typical blanks at WalMart. Plextor recommended these, and they work mint, wherever they were made. :)

Odd that every program I have that will tell me manufacturer says Mitsubishi, are they all just reading it wrong or is someone somewhere lying about it? ;)

As for the Samsung model, I can't find anyone anywhere who lists it. If its brandy new it might be a little bit still it gets into the channels. I know the Plextor one can be bought at NewEgg or even at BestBuy, but it was "released" quite some time ago now.

Whichever you get, just read up everything you can before shelling out the money and you'll end up very happy with whatever you get. Getting all the information is key. I went Plextor due to past experience both with their products and their customer service, which was outstanding. I'd try to find reviews on that Samsung drive and if its solid, and cheaper, there's no reason not to go for it, and enjoy a 4 gig burn in about 6 mins. :D

Limahl said:
The ones I have here don't match either of those, DVD or CD.

I dont see PAPA or any + symbol mixed in with the letters/numbers on the inner circle.

Oh well, I'm not gonna lost any sleep over it in any case. These blanks work fine in this drive and thats all that really matters. I knew going into this anyway that to burn a DVD at 16X and have it be a quality burn that the media would need to be more than the typical blanks at WalMart. Plextor recommended these, and they work mint, wherever they were made. :)

Odd that every program I have that will tell me manufacturer says Mitsubishi, are they all just reading it wrong or is someone somewhere lying about it? ;)

doesn't matter what they say, its still not real media

it all started when people realised that CMC made media and some Verbatim have the same serials, and after long time of test, and info gathering, its true, Verbatim oursources their media to CMC and prodisc

here are few threads
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=187234&highlight=verbatim+cmc
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=188011&highlight=verbatim+cmc
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=128909

just read those threads, and you have either one of those serials on the clear inner hub, you have to look very close, hub is clear so are the letters, it only shows under the right light angle.

if those don't match, then you might have made in India Moser, which are much worse.

i respect this forum for hardware (amd, intel, boards and video cards), but when it comes dvd-burners and media nothing beats CDFreaks

nekrosoft13 said:
doesn't matter what they say, its still not real media

it all started when people realised that CMC made media and some Verbatim have the same serials, and after long time of test, and info gathering, its true, Verbatim oursources their media to CMC and prodisc

here are few threads
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=187234&highlight=verbatim+cmc
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=188011&highlight=verbatim+cmc
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=128909

just read those threads, and you have either one of those serials on the clear inner hub, you have to look very close, hub is clear so are the letters, it only shows under the right light angle.

if those don't match, then you might have made in India Moser, which are much worse.

i respect this forum for hardware (amd, intel, boards and video cards), but when it comes dvd-burners and media nothing beats CDFreaks

Good info to know, thanks for the links!

If these would appear to be the worst ones though, then I wonder why they burn so well at 16X and show better quality burns than any other 16X media I've tried???

Heh, I should prolly stop wondering about it and confusiing myself and just be thankful they are working so well if they are indeed some of the crappy ones. :D

Again, thanks for the information though, can never have enough of that usually!

even when most verbatim are not real, they are still pretty much highest qaulity.

verbatim made in taiwan are either CMC or Prodisc, but they work close with Mitsubishi, to use the same technology in their factories.

While other media (Memorex, Imatation, Some TDK, other CMC made media) can't use the same tech, and their media are much much much worse.

MCC made by CMC and CMC made in same factory, don't burn the same. I know its confusing.

bottom line, the best media out there right now is Taiyo Yuden(8x Taiyo burned at 16x has better results then 16x verb at 16x), but, they are quite hard to find. Also theres allot of counterfeit Taiyo media out there.

I only use

Taiyo Yuden, Japan made Maxell, and Verbatim (usually i try to buy CMC made)

on a side note: sorry if i made any spelling mistakes, English is not my first language

@nekrosoft : good info. You post @ CDF? My nick there and @ CDRLabs is Bhairav.

Basically, Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation's media arm, Verbatim, had their own factories in Singapore and Ireland. The Irish plant is shut down, IIRC, and the Singapore plant has been retooled to produce DL media, as well as HD-DVD and Blu-Ray discs.

Therefore, Verbatim has outsourced production of the SL DVD media to CMC and Prodisc in Taiwan and Moser Baer in India -> they use MCC stampers and QC, therefore the differing quality. They also source discs from TY in Japan, so if you get those (mostly in Europe), awesome.

Quality reports vary.. some drives and people report excellent results from the Prodisc DVDRs, others from CMC, and still others from MBI made Verbs.

Personally, as I'm from India, MBI don't have the rights to sell their OEM'd Verb discs here, we get MBI's own media, which is quite good. All the Verb media we get here is CMC OEM'd, quite decent as well.

Back