SATA HD install

Cigolon

Gawd
i'm trying to install windows on a western digital SATA II 250gig hard drive and i'm running into problems. to be honest, i've never installed sata anything before, always used IDE, so how/what do i need to do to get the windows install to recognize the drive?

i'm running asus A8ne socket 939 with a athlon 3200+ and 2.5 gigs of corsair ddr 400.

Does the BIOS detect it? If so, go to Settings> Control Panel> Administrative Tools> Computer Management, and select Disk Management.

It will have information on the disk there if the BIOS detects it; you may need to mount it and format it.

windows isn't installed. i'm trying to get it installed
bios does not detect it automatically.

model number is wd2500ks-00mjb0 for the hard drive; i'm thinking the sata II transfer rate may be too high for the motherboard and that i may need to jumper it down. the only problem is that i dont have the manual and so i'm not sure where i need to put the jumper to do that. i tried googling, but i can't pull anything up.

Sorry, I completely overlooked the "installing Windows" thing. I'm sure google can find the manual, I'm surprised it doesn't switch down by itself. In any case the A8N-E supports SATAII natively, so it shouldn't be a compatability issue. Standard questions to follow, have you tried all the ports, have you checked the power connectors, are you overclocking, etc.

Oh, and try a different cable. SATAII cables are actually brittle, and if you kink them you run the risk of breaking the wires.

i was actually going by what the tech support at asus said yesterday about the motherboard not supporting SATA II. i would just call them again today but its presidents day- and for some odd reason- they consider that as a holiday.

i found the manual on western digitals website. i'm an idiot for not checking there right away.

so. funny story. i'm not doing the actual tech work. my friend(who is new to computers) is actualy doing it. you said something about chcking the power connectors and i had it typed out "the connectors are fine" then i rememberd he may not know that was needed. so i walked over- and bam. problem solved.

once again- the simple things are always the problems.
he just shouted "i'm an idiot. thank god."

I like to think about that as the "Free Beer" clause, which stipulates that if you spend more than thirty minutes fixing something that isn't plugged in, Dude buys you beer. It's in the manual at the back if he doesn't believe you. Tell him to check in the appendix for "Aqua Vitae Gratis", and then grab a beer from the fridge.

Back