SATA hot swap issue MSI Pro-E

baneonrt

Weaksauce
I can't seem to get hot swap working on the esata dock on the top of my 690 II advance. It worked just fine with my previous P45 chipset based setup.

It's an MSI X58 Pro-E motherboard. AHCI is enabled for all ports in the BIOS. I have tried loading the latest X58 chipset drivers as well as the matrix storage manager just in case. If I reboot with a drive attached it will show up. This is a fresh installation of Windows 7 HP x64.

Any ideas? Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks,

Steve

Install the Intel Matrix Storage Manager and it should work. :D

Edit: Also you must have enabled AHCI before you installed the the OS for it to work.

Last edited:
Thank you for the suggestions. I had set up the bios before installing windows and I also had already tried the matrix storage manager before my original post.

Any other ideas. I don't usually post questions like this but I'm stumped.

Thanks again,

steve

If you have your eSATA dock connected to the Intel controller with AHCI enabled, I dunno what to tell ya.

But if you have it connected to your MB's JMicron 363 controller's onboard SATA port, you probably need the correct drivers.

Go here and get the latest drivers for W7.

If you have your eSATA dock connected to the Intel controller with AHCI enabled, I dunno what to tell ya.

But if you have it connected to your MB's JMicron 363 controller's onboard SATA port, you probably need the correct drivers.

Go here and get the latest drivers for W7.

Yep, it's connected to the intel controller. I haven't yet tried all the ports but I don't see any reason why they'd be different.

I also haven't yet tried the 363 controller. The cable routing isn't as friendly for that port but I might just have to deal with it.

Thanks,

Steve

I also haven't yet tried the 363 controller. The cable routing isn't as friendly for that port but I might just have to deal with it.

Is the JMicron port the blue one next to the IDE connection as in this picture?

AFAIK all the Intel ports will have AHCI enabled and act the same.

I have a JMicron IDE/SATA/eSATA controller on my P6T and I run my externals on the MB's eSATA port.

The JMicron works just fine but some seem to be confused as to which controller are controlling which drives.

AFAIK there's nothing else to do to enable hotswap on the Intel controller except enable AHCI.

Is the JMicron port the blue one next to the IDE connection as in this picture?

AFAIK all the Intel ports will have AHCI enabled and act the same.

I have a JMicron IDE/SATA/eSATA controller on my P6T and I run my externals on the MB's eSATA port.

The JMicron works just fine but some seem to be confused as to which controller are controlling which drives.

AFAIK there's nothing else to do to enable hotswap on the Intel controller except enable AHCI.

Yes, the JMicron port is the blue one, along with the one on the back panel. The rest of the ports are controlled by the Intel chipset.

Is this typical of all X58 motherboards? Does hotswap work on the intel controlled ports on any of them or is it a board specific issue. Now that I think about it my friend has an Asus X58 board and we were not successful in hooking up a standard esata drive. I have no details on what ports are connected to what internally on his computer though.

Steve

Is this typical of all X58 motherboards?

Pretty much for the better boards.

AFAIK the Intel chipset will only handle 6 SATA ports and many MBs have more than one controller to add ports for SAS, eSATA, and IDE.

Does hotswap work on the intel controlled ports on any of them or is it a board specific issue.
Hotswap is one of the features included in AHCI and I see no reason that yours doesn't work in that manner. Intel defined AHCI so I would say all X58 MBs will be the same.

You shouldn't need to but have you scanned for hardware changes in the device manager after starting the eSATA drive?

Back