Sata II vs Sata III Cables?

I recently did have a problem with a SATA II cable not agreeing with a SATA III port. My hard drive would sometimes disappear. I swapped the cable for a SATA III cable I've problem free ever since.

you had a bad cable, simple as that, nothing to do with SII or SIII :rolleyes:

If you haven't already, go get yourself some Kamachi SATA5ex cable, they are made in Japan. The VR version suppose to boost random read/write speed up to 5x, while the VS version will boost Sequential read/write up to 5x. The cable core are made out of a hybrid fiber/copper and Dickanium, and the booster-shield made out of unknown material that the Japanese Engineer accidentally discovered from science project they did 4000 years ago, the combination of ancient material with cutting edge technology are truely breathtaking. These Kamachi cables are being secretly use by NASA, so you know it's good stuff, head over to fleabay and get yourself some right NOW!

HDMI actually does have 2 types of cables (Unlike SATA), Category 1 (Standard) and Category 2 (High Speed). At 1 meter or so any HDMI cable will do, but in longer lengths and at higher resolutions (actual frequency ranges) there are physical differences which come into play.

Yes, but almost every hdmi cable is high speed as the standard ones only support 720p or 1080i, no 1080p.

I hate to bump this thread, but rather than start a new one, I figured I'd ask in this one. So my laptop has two Sata III ports according to HWiNFO and some other apps I've used, but the SSD that replaced the optical drive only runs at Sata II. I realize there's no special cable when it comes to desktops, but is there even a remote chance that the caddynI'm currently using could be limiting the throughput of my Plextor M3? I only ask because I'm seeing newer caddies listed with Sata III specs like this one - JEYI H123 9.5mm SATA 2.5"Hard Drive SSD Optical Drive Bay Caddy Notebook Laptop | eBay

Considering this is a laptop, I should probably be happy with the speeds I'm getting, but wanted to ask anyway. Thanks in advance :)

plextor.jpg

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Considering this is a laptop, I should probably be happy with the speeds I'm getting, but wanted to ask anyway. Thanks in advance :)

plextor.jpg

Those speeds are completely normal for SATA-II as there will be some overhead due to the 8b/10b encoding that SATA uses to transfer data, so getting the full 300MB/s (of real data, not including overhead) is not possible.

Those speeds are completely normal for SATA-II as there will be some overhead due to the 8b/10b encoding that SATA uses to transfer data, so getting the full 300MB/s (of real data, not including overhead) is not possible.

Hehe I know they're normal, but that's not what I asked about :)

So my laptop has two Sata III ports according to HWiNFO and some other apps I've used, but the SSD that replaced the optical drive only runs at Sata II. I realize there's no special cable when it comes to desktops, but is there even a remote chance that the caddynI'm currently using could be limiting the throughput of my Plextor M3? I only ask because I'm seeing newer caddies listed with Sata III specs like this one - JEYI H123 9.5mm SATA 2.5"Hard Drive SSD Optical Drive Bay Caddy Notebook Laptop | eBay

Could be.

I know I'd be paying the 25.00 to find out. :)

Good Luck!

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
If I recall correctly, the only difference there has ever been with SATA cables was the connector retention. That being said, just buy whatever sata cable is the right length, color, and connector angle for you from monoprice and be done with it for cheap.

If I recall correctly, the only difference there has ever been with SATA cables was the connector retention. That being said, just buy whatever sata cable is the right length, color, and connector angle for you from monoprice and be done with it for cheap.

As long as the cable is properly manufactured to spec, there is no difference. The cable retention clips started appearing about the time SATA2.0 was ratified. That said, there are some cheap cables from China that are 32-36AWG which fail at higher speeds. These are NOT in-spec cables. proper cables should have conductors between 26-30AWG.

You guys are missing the point.

He's asking about the CADDY....not the cable.

Did everyone have that bad of a night? LOL!

Could be.

I know I'd be paying the 25.00 to find out. :)

Good Luck!
I think I'm going to give it a go, mainly because you're the one who told me to give it a try lol.

As long as the cable is properly manufactured to spec, there is no difference. The cable retention clips started appearing about the time SATA2.0 was ratified. That said, there are some cheap cables from China that are 32-36AWG which fail at higher speeds. These are NOT in-spec cables. proper cables should have conductors between 26-30AWG.

Yeah, we all know about the cable part, which has been discussed throughout the thread. I was looking for insight related to micro sata throughput of a caddy :)

I think I'm going to give it a go, mainly because you're the one who told me to give it a try lol.

Yeah, we all know about the cable part, which has been discussed throughout the thread. I was looking for insight related to micro sata throughput of a caddy :)

If it is a passive caddy which is built to spec, there should be no difference in speed (the caddy is essentially a cable). If it is an active device (SATA & USB.etc on the interposer) then all bets are off and it depends on which bridge they chose.

If it is a passive caddy which is built to spec, there should be no difference in speed (the caddy is essentially a cable). If it is an active device (SATA & USB.etc on the interposer) then all bets are off and it depends on which bridge they chose.
It's an internal caddy for a laptop and has to be powered.

You wouldn't know unless you looked at his link.

Seems I'm the only one who understands today and I vote "Go for it" but if it doesn't work blame it on RebelExtrm02 and mrwoobel. LOL!

Hehe I know they're normal, but that's not what I asked about :)

It doesn't matter, the caddy you are currently using "might be limiting it" when it isn't because it is SATA-II.
Even if you get a newer SATA-III caddy, it won't help a damn thing as your SSD is still on the SATA-II standard.

Even if your existing caddy is limiting it, we'll be talking a couple of MB/s of a difference at tops.
The SSD you are using in your existing caddy is SATA-II which is the existing bottleneck, and is again, why I said that the speeds you are getting are 'normal' for it.

Maybe you should try to understand what you are even asking. :rolleyes:

Even if your existing caddy is limiting it, we'll be talking a couple of MB/s of a difference at tops.
The SSD you are using in your existing caddy is SATA-II which is the existing bottleneck, and is again, why I said that the speeds you are getting are 'normal' for it.

Maybe you should try to understand what you are even asking. :rolleyes:

Actually, the Plextor M3 is Sata III ;)
Maybe you should try to understand what you are even reading :rolleyes:

Hope the caddy port is sataiii, I know my laptop the bay is sata2 and the msata is sata2, only the internal drive is sata3.

Actually, the Plextor M3 is Sata III ;)
Maybe you should try to understand what you are even reading :rolleyes:

You never stated that the Plextor M3 was SATA-III once, from what you wrote you made it sound like it was SATA-II.
This is what you wrote:
So my laptop has two Sata III ports according to HWiNFO and some other apps I've used, but the SSD that replaced the optical drive only runs at Sata II.
Um, yeah, you made it sound like your SSD is SATA-II; that sentence in no way conveys that your SSD is SATA-III at all.
For fuck's sake, maybe you should try to improve your writing skills and quit conveying information so cryptically/incorrectly before acting like an asshole to everyone who is coming here to help. :rolleyes:

You never stated that the Plextor M3 was SATA-III once, from what you wrote you made it sound like it was SATA-II.
This is what you wrote:

Um, yeah, you made it sound like your SSD is SATA-II; that sentence in no way conveys that your SSD is SATA-III at all.
For fuck's sake, maybe you should try to improve your writing skills and quit conveying information so cryptically/incorrectly before acting like an asshole to everyone who is coming here to help. :rolleyes:

I'll give you that, but I can't believe there is a single person on [H], who doesn't know the M3 (pictured above) is Sata III. Haha you sound angry :)

I'll give you that, but I can't believe there is a single person on [H], who doesn't know the M3 (pictured above) is Sata III. Haha you sound angry :)

I got my ass kicked in Contra by two wimpy humans, wouldn't you be angry?! :D
Yes, after looking up the M3, it is definitely SATA-III, but next time, just say that just "your caddy is SATA-II, not the SSD", or something along those lines.

Oh well, hope it works out for you. :)

but next time, just say that just "your caddy is SATA-II, not the SSD", or something along those lines.
That's the ticket.

Blame everything, except you misreading, for the problem. :rolleyes:

That's the ticket.

Blame everything, except you misreading, for the problem. :rolleyes:

Go back and re-read post #57, old man. ;)
Seriously, I didn't misread anything, he really did made it sound like the SSD was SATA-II.

But still, I guess I need to buff up on my knowledge of current SSD models, because I didn't know the M3 was SATA-III. :eek:

I was at Fryes today looking for a couple sata cables and noticed that some are rated SATA II and some SATA III. When I asked the employee about it he said the cable has no impact on data transfer speed.

Your first mistake. Frys hires employees who don't always know very much. Try NewEgg instead, and read the user reviews.

Oh fail, for some reason I thought you had to use Sata III cables with Sata III ports....why am I using this stupid 90 degree connector again?

If you buy your cables from Best Buy, they will tell you that you MUST have the Monster Teflon SATA3.0+ Oxygen-Free Copper Digital Time Division Frame Aligned Cables w/ Carbon-Fiber Super Dielectric Insulation. If you don't, your music won't sound as clear, your movies won't be as sharp and your Word documents will be missing letters!

Seriously, I didn't misread anything, he really did made it sound like the SSD was SATA-II

I guess this Old Man is the only one that read it correctly. LOL!

Blame it on what ever you want....you're just making yourself look worse. :)

I guess this Old Man is the only one that read it correctly. LOL!

Blame it on what ever you want....you're just making yourself look worse. :)

Um...

the SSD that replaced the optical drive only runs at Sata II.
Sorry, but he did make it sound like the SSD was SATA-II.
I guess the only thing that could have avoided that assumption was knowing that the M3 is SATA-III.

I disagree. His question doesn't make sense if you think it's SATA2. And why would he revive that thread ?

Back