SATA installation problems.

bander

n00b
When I do searches for this I cant find anything that specifically awnsers these questions.

Anyway Im buildiing a brand new computer for a friend and I went with a SATA setup despite haveing no experiance with it because everything I read said that SATA is supposed to be more advanced and easier then IDE. After its all put together I realize taht installing windows on SATA is anything but simple. After doing a lot of research I found out that the only way to do it, short of creating a custom xp installation disc, is to connect a floppy drive, put sata drivers on a floppy, inserting it during windows setup after hitting F6 and then install windows.

Problem is I cant find these drivers anywhere. Most places say they should be on the motherboards driver disc, no such luck ( mobo is Gigabyte GA-K8vt800, HDD is WD cavair SATA 250 GB drive) no can I find these drivers on Gigabytes or WD's web sites. Where coudl they be?

And a little problem. If I have HDD plugged in SATA chanel 0 from before startup, during POST the computer will completely freeze up when it gets to "Veryfting DMI Pool Data......." it dousnt do this in channel 1. any thoughts

thks

thks for the promp reply. Ill let you know how it works when and if I turn up a floppy drive. God I thought I was done with those for good....

Sry but that dousnt work. Inside the folder is a VIAmRAID folder, and inside that is specific drivers for all the operating systems. First I But in just hte contents of hte winxp folder into a floppy, then I put the entire VIAmRAID folder into a floppy. Both times, durning setup, when I tell it to go to the floppy for 3rd party drivers, it searches the floppy then says "txtsetup.oem could not be found" press any key to continue.

I am getting really desperate to get this working as ive had the computer ffor 6 days now without finisshing it. Any help would be appreciated.

edit: maybe I should have asked this first. Is it even possible to have a computer system with a single SATA hard dive? Every article, help sheet, and forum topic about SATA that I could find is about installing on on a system already running and IDE hard drive. Not a single place mentions setting up windows on a SATA hard drive.

bander said:
Sry but that dousnt work. Inside the folder is a VIAmRAID folder, and inside that is specific drivers for all the operating systems. First I But in just hte contents of hte winxp folder into a floppy, then I put the entire VIAmRAID folder into a floppy. Both times, durning setup, when I tell it to go to the floppy for 3rd party drivers, it searches the floppy then says "txtsetup.oem could not be found" press any key to continue.

I am getting really desperate to get this working as ive had the computer ffor 6 days now without finisshing it. Any help would be appreciated.

edit: maybe I should have asked this first. Is it even possible to have a computer system with a single SATA hard dive? Every article, help sheet, and forum topic about SATA that I could find is about installing on on a system already running and IDE hard drive. Not a single place mentions setting up windows on a SATA hard drive.

hi there its possible to only have 1 sata drive, im using the asus a8v and was my first time using a sata drive...ended up taking me 3 days to figure out how to get it working

i dl the drivers from asus's site and theres a program called makedisk.exe in the files that u dl...click on that (heh luckily i had a spare floppy but i had to actualy buy floppy disks'....) and save it to a floppy then instal xp but hit f6 when it ask if u want to install scsii drivers

for my mb the drivers were reveresed. see my sata drive is plugged into the fast track sata controller but the fast track drivers didnt work i needed the via something drivers (both were on the site)

I went to asus' site and all the software I could find for the a8v is a bios update utlitiy and manuals couldnt find any drivers, could you link directly to the via drivers you used, I still cant find any for my hard drive

thks

Back