SATA - Safely Remove Hardware

LyL18

Limp Gawd
Am i supposed to have this icon on my taskbar, where I can remove my hard drive? Or am i supposed to install something more... Thanks

raptor5ux.gif

I too have this same problem and its quite annoying for my Obessive self, any help on this topic would be much appreciated,

well without context, it looks an awful lot like my USB jumpshot compact flash reader
the OS doesnt deal well with drives disappearing and reappeaaring as you plug them in and out with "hot pluggable" protocols, like usb and firewire, even SATA or SCSI with hotswap

so there are proceedures to let diskmanagement know that they have been recognized and or going to be unplugged

is there anyway to designate a drive non swapable so that it reads it as an IDE protocol or is that noot possiible

"In WinXP, use Disk Management (diskmgmt.msc from the Run prompt) to change
the Properties for your thumb drive. Right-click on your Removable disk
icon, click Properties. On the Policies tab you can choose between Optimize
for quick removal or Optimize for performance. I'm not sure, but I think
the quick removal option closes the open files after each operation; the
performance option leaves them open until you click the Safely Remove
Hardware icon."

try the above, but insert your external HDD (I assume) for the thumbdrive mentioned
an IDE drive shouldnt even be effected by this without some very special sideband hotswap carriers, way back when in Win98 there where some hotswap provisions, but they are long gone

and

http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/howto-07.html

If you have an USB device attached to your system, you will notice an icon in the Notification area, which - when clicked - will give you the option to Stop your hardware, before you unplug it.

It is possible that you never unplug this hardware. So how do you get rid of the icon? As far as I know the only way is to right-click the notification area, and selecting Properties. Under the Notification area heading, click Customize. Find the Safely Remove Hardware icon and select Always hide in the Behavior column next to it (press OK and Apply to back out).

lyl: this is normal for SATA. One of the protocols of SATA is that it is hot-pluggable. Are you running an nForce chipset? The nForce's SATA was the first chipset I used that supported hot-plugging SATA(the Intel 875/865 boards I've used didn't pop up with the remove hardware icon)

So, what you're seeing is perfectly normal. Should you so desire, you can unplug your harddrives at any time. (Or, plug them in...which is really convenient for me when I install the OS for the first time)

As for how to remove that icon, I think ice czar might have told you.....however there's no performance loss by having that icon there, as the drives will run at full performance unless you tell it to do otherwise.

Back