saving $$$ on WC

thekiefs

Limp Gawd
Well, with my system now running a little over 3grand (thats not even including the new 7800), I think one area I could save money is in my water cooling setup.

I plan to cool this:

Lian Li PC-60APlus
Intel Pentium D 820 2.80GHz
Corsair TWIN2X1024A-5400UL 1GB DDR2-675 XMS2-5400UL
Nvidia Geforce 7800 GFX

With this:

Aqua Computer Aquastream Modified Eheim 1406 12V
Black Ice Pro 120mm (front lian li grill)
Aqua Computer Aquatube
Aqua Computer Aquabay
Danger Den Copper TDX Block for Intel 775 Processors
gpu when released
Tygon R-3603 Lab Grade 1/2" Tubing

For a wc setup total of $311.44. Thats without any gpu cooler. Is there any place I could cut down, assuming I'm not going to go for extreme overclocking, just pass the 3.2 ghz of the pentium D.

The AC pump is not really a great choice for a DD waterblock. You are much better off getting the TDX / D5 combo that DangerDen has right now for a little over 100$. That should save you a good 50$ at least right there.

You can cut out the aquatube and the aquabay, resevoirs are really just cosmetic, they do have a few small benefits, but that tends towards ease of use more than anything else. Just get a T-line and a fillport from DD.

As for the tubing you could get Clearflex, or some vinyl tubing from home depot.

Overall that should cut the cost of the watercooling system down to like 175$ and would probably offer better performance anyways (thanks to the beefier pump).

probably not stock, but it is a smaller pump than the eheim so you shouldn't have a problem making a mount for it to fit on there.

If you want to save some more $ at the cost of modding and likely not quite as good looks, then go buy a 1986 Chevette (single 120mm) or 1977 Bonneville heater core. Mod in 1/2" barbs (either take off the copper pipe completely & resolder new barbs in, or just get a barb that one end fits into the pipe, & epoxy it in ;)), make yourself a shroud, and you can easily save $30-$50 depending on your previous radiator choice.

The Aqautube doesnt really "make things easier for you" any more than a normal $20 5 1/2" bay reservoir, except possibly make your cooling worse if you get the Aquajet ($10 piece of 1/4" pipe if you ask me ;)) set up improperly and is putting air bubbles in your loop, not taking them out like a reservoir is supposed to.

As for the 7800 block, depending on if Nvidia changed the changed the hole setup (from what I've seen, looks the same as the 6800 series), current 6800 series blocks should fit 7800s, we'll all find out in less than 2 full days once the first bits of information get out of San Fransisco on Tuesday.

Well I suppose I will put my .02 in. Actually the Aquastream isn't to bad of a choice. The version 3.5 controller will allow you to manually OC the pump without the use of an Aquaero. So essentially you get a pump that can be de-clocked to less than 1046 rates and approximating 1048 rates at the high end of things. This pump seems to work just fine with the Cuplex Pro which is quite similar to the TDX. However, the cost factor is higher, but it bolts right up to the AquaBay like it belongs there which it does. :) Another thing that some people have been doing is bolting on to the back of the AquaBay is the Laing DDC and some are using the Alphacool plexi top as it gives a lot of advantages to the pump in that you can hang on just about any fitting you want due to the G 1/4 threads. :D

The Aquatube really works well and it really has a rather unique look to it. IMHO I don't see you gaining a lot with 7/16 or 1/2 tubing unless you want ballz out cooling performance just for the sake of having the coolest waterblopck you can. So if you want extreme water cooling go with the 1/2" ID and if you want excellent cooling you can go with 6, 8, or 10mm ID tubing which is much easier to route and IMHO looks a lot cleaner. YMMV The Aquajet isn't really needed in a horizontal application. However as someone already pointed out it works just fine if set up properly (thanks ikellensbro :)

Another good choice is the Aqua Computer Cuplex Pro which as I indicated above is an excellent match for the Aquastream or actually just about any pump if you use 3/8 tubes with it. I think these blocks will retail for $65 and will be in Sharka stock by tomorrow afternoon.

The BI Pro rads will do you right! I currently have two of them in my loop along with a BI Dual 80 sitting above my PSU.

Top Nurse said:
Well I suppose I will put my .02 in. Actually the Aquastream isn't to bad of a choice. The version 3.5 controller will allow you to manually OC the pump without the use of an Aquaero. So essentially you get a pump that can be de-clocked to less than 1046 rates and approximating 1048 rates at the high end of things. This pump seems to work just fine with the Cuplex Pro which is quite similar to the TDX. However, the cost factor is higher, but it bolts right up to the AquaBay like it belongs there which it does. :)

The TDX still performs much better at increased flow rates. And the D5 has manual adjustment for the pump speed as well. When you want to save money why not go with the pump that is stronger, has the same features, but might be a tad less accesible?

Erasmus354 said:
The TDX still performs much better at increased flow rates. And the D5 has manual adjustment for the pump speed as well. When you want to save money why not go with the pump that is stronger, has the same features, but might be a tad less accesible?

Well the guy said he wasn't in to extreme OC. ;) Since there are no direct comparisons yet of the TDX vs any European designs we have to do some sleuthing and cross comparing, but it appears that the only thing the TDX has over the Cuplex Pro is a 1/4 thread and thus a tube capability of greater than 3/8 ID. And to be quite frank the D5 is butt fugly :D

"And to be quite frank the D5 is butt fugly "

I'll take butt fugly and higher prformance over pretty and just so so performance anyday.......... :eek:

That's why I still use ugly ole heater cores instead of those pretty looking radiators......... :D

Yea, the d5 is pretty ugly, but if it preforms better, for less of a cost, who cares? With some modding as you said, I'm sure the D5 will fit on the back of the aquabay especially since its smaller.

Top Nurse, are you sure you won't need the Aquajet for a horizontal mount? Won't condensation become an issue?

And as for accessability, as long as it works I could care less. All I need is a solution to moderately cool down a pentium D and a 7800gtx, for some overclocking fun, at a small price.

Also, what kind of additives do you use with your water. I know when filling up my res I should buy distilled water, but should I buy a tube of something like FluidXP? As it stands, heres my setup....

Danger Den D5 Combo
Black Ice Pro 120mm
Aqua Computer Aquatube
Aqua Computer Aquabay
Danger Den Copper TDX Block Combo
ClearFlex 60 Tubing 1/2"
Aqua Computer Aquajet
Fluid XP+ Non-Conductive Coolant

$276.75

dont get fluidxp, buy a gallon of distilled water for like $0.79 at the grocery store and add some zerex to it.

Top Nurse said:
Well the guy said he wasn't in to extreme OC. ;) Since there are no direct comparisons yet of the TDX vs any European designs we have to do some sleuthing and cross comparing, but it appears that the only thing the TDX has over the Cuplex Pro is a 1/4 thread and thus a tube capability of greater than 3/8 ID. And to be quite frank the D5 is butt fugly :D

I was simply referring to the two pumps being used with the TDX block, nothing with the cuplex pro...you cant seriously think that the TDX will perform better with the Aquastream than with the D5.

Bio-Hazard said:
"And to be quite frank the D5 is butt fugly "

I'll take butt fugly and higher prformance over pretty and just so so performance anyday.......... :eek:

That's why I still use ugly ole heater cores instead of those pretty looking radiators......... :D

Well to each his own. :)

Erasmus354 said:
I was simply referring to the two pumps being used with the TDX block, nothing with the cuplex pro...you cant seriously think that the TDX will perform better with the Aquastream than with the D5.

No the D5 would be better because it generates more flow, but the Aquastream or DDC seem to work fairly well as well.

ugly ole heater cores.........err, forgot about those

yea, nevermind, those are a little too..ugly

Ugly, but oh the performance....... :D

Weapon core with dual Weapon shrouds for push/pull fans.

DSC01742.JPG

DSC01781.JPG

Naughty naughty! BitchBreaker is going to be unhappy you called his kid ugly ;)

A nice reasonable coolant is distilled H20 + a bottle of AC Fluid that will last about 3 water changes and still keep your loop clear as rain water.

whiteboy said:
Yea, the d5 is pretty ugly, but if it preforms better, for less of a cost, who cares? With some modding as you said, I'm sure the D5 will fit on the back of the aquabay especially since its smaller.

Top Nurse, are you sure you won't need the Aquajet for a horizontal mount? Won't condensation become an issue?

And as for accessability, as long as it works I could care less. All I need is a solution to moderately cool down a pentium D and a 7800gtx, for some overclocking fun, at a small price.

Also, what kind of additives do you use with your water. I know when filling up my res I should buy distilled water, but should I buy a tube of something like FluidXP? As it stands, heres my setup....

Danger Den D5 Combo
Black Ice Pro 120mm
Aqua Computer Aquatube
Aqua Computer Aquabay
Danger Den Copper TDX Block Combo
ClearFlex 60 Tubing 1/2"
Aqua Computer Aquajet
Fluid XP+ Non-Conductive Coolant

$276.75
I've already modded an Aquabay for use with the D5:

*click on thumbnails for a bigger pic*

It looks cool but you end up with a lot of mini bubbles... which has been discussed in this thread: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=910709

whiteboy said:

That would depend on how high the water level is and where the intake to the Aquatube is. Generally it is superfluous in a horizontal pplication. However, some do put them in for condensation if they have a low water level.

CAD OC'er said:
I've already modded an Aquabay for use with the D5:
It looks cool but you end up with a lot of mini bubbles... which has been discussed in this thread: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=910709

Are you speaking in reference to the Aquajet or the Aquatube? This is a well known issue with the Aquajet when trying to run high flow pumps through them. However, some people have alleviated the problem by proper placement of the input and output to the Aquatube even with the use of the DDC. I think this is the reason that Innovatek doesn't sell an Aquajet type tube for their Aquatube style reservoirs seeing how they use G 1/4 threaded fittings.

However, BitchBreaker is believed to have solved this problem by tilting the tube slightly in relation to the centerline of the threads. PM him for details. :)

Top Nurse said:
Are you speaking in reference to the Aquajet or the Aquatube? This is a well known issue with the Aquajet when trying to run high flow pumps through them. However, some people have alleviated the problem by proper placement of the input and output to the Aquatube even with the use of the DDC. I think this is the reason that Innovatek doesn't sell an Aquajet type tube for their Aquatube style reservoirs seeing how they use G 1/4 threaded fittings.

However, BitchBreaker is believed to have solved this problem by tilting the tube slightly in relation to the centerline of the threads. PM him for details. :)
I'm posting about Aquatubes in general. BTW: I have tried it with and without the Aquajet.
And from what I read of BitchBreaker's and nigley's posts is that they had reach exactly the same conclusion as I have: Increased flow = more bubbles.
The only real solutions are to slow down the flow (lower performance) or remove all air from the wc system.

Well I'm not suprised as Aquatubes were designed for lower flow systems. I suspect that is the reason that Aqua Computer has never changed to G 1/4 threads even when given a large order for them as specials. However, nigely was able to use the DDC without having any bubbles produced so it may be the way you have your tubes routed. Ask him via PM for details.

in relation to the heatercores, i got 1 and really want shrouds like that!!! where can i get sum so i can have sum push and pull action, LOL.

Hmm, so at this I would have to say I am a little confused.

Now I understand there seem to be some compatability issues with the D5, Aquatube, and Aquajet in regards to small air bubbles. First off, the Aquatube doesn't seem to support 1/2" tubing, as the aquatube was seemed to be designed for a low flow setup, as Top Nurse said. I guess that means it requires some modding, of which only "Bitchbreaker" can do this. I DID plan to have a 1/2" setup, but will that have to change?

Or should I just go with my original setup with the modified eheim and not have the headache of trying to figure this out. But that would mean my Danger Den TDX wouldn't be properly supplied. And that means I would have to get a new CPU block, with less preformance and more money (that AC bad block). ugh, really confused, what should I go for lol,

Oh, and now that danger den is having their BI blowout, should I go with a bigger rad, or am I just fine with the single 120mm to fit in the PC-60aplus

the only thing I'm 100% sure about right now is my gallon of distilled water and my Ac fluid, lmao

i dont want a combo...i already have a heatercore i just need a shroud!!! how much do they usually sell for?

Just go ahead and contact them, they will deal with you on whatever you need. I'm not sure what the shrouds are going for, as I've been testing with them from the first proto type to the finial product release, but I'm sure it a extremely fair price......... :)

If you really want an Aquatube so much that you're willing to get an AC 1046/1048, then you could get a Swiftech 6002 instead, as if you look at some performance vs. flow charts, the 6002 performs incredibly well, even with very low flow rates. Then again, you could get a 6000 and everything else 3/8", which the Aquatube is able to be fitted for, and still get pretty good performance.

You might even be able to still use the Aquatube with a 3/8" pump such as the Laing DDC, although a D5 with 3/8" barbs still might be too much flow for an Aquatube. The 6002/6000 are also only $45, less than a TDX or any new AC block, and use simple mounting plates that can be changed for any socket. If you think it's too "ugly" for you, then just paint it whatever color(s) you like.

Tisk Tisk Tisk is right..how dare u poke fun at 1 of my chiller's? Do u have any idea the amount of time and money goes into 1 of them unit's? no u dont...and beside's it's not in it's case,u woudletn want to see a vapochill LS out of it's case eather..it's a ugly sight.there is a reason u have Noobie next to your name :eek:

Back