Saving the battery...

CBlakeNS

Gawd
I have a new HP dv 6000 and im trying to make my battery last as long as possible. What are you reccomendations.

When the battery is full charged should I unplug it and let it "un charge itself"' or will it not hurt it to keep it plugged in?

Thanks,
Blake

With modern laptop batteries i think there are mechanisms in place to prevent damage by overcharging, but i tend to unplug mine anyway as a precaution.
My dad used to leave his plugged in all the time and his battery doesn't last very long at all now.

With modern laptop batteries i think there are mechanisms in place to prevent damage by overcharging, but i tend to unplug mine anyway as a precaution.
My dad used to leave his plugged in all the time and his battery doesn't last very long at all now.

Yeah that is what I figured, but I was just trying to get other peoples opinions!

Modern batteries and charging systems have largely gotten rid of the "memory" issue for laptops batteries. Keeping them plugged in most of the time is not really all that bad for them. Discharging them as completely as the laptop allows and then recharging them fully, once a month, seems to be all that is required to keep the battery in good shape.
Plus most laptops give you a big performance drop when not plugged in.

Batteries lose a significant portion of their charge every year anyway. it's probably not worth the trouble to unplug it.

If you insist, it would probably be better to remove the battery instead of unplugging the computer. That way, you don't put unnecessary charge/discharge cycles on your battery. Supposedly this is also beneficial because it removes the battery from the warm environment of the laptop battery bay but I doubt that makes much difference.

Back