SB Audigy X-gamer vs. Onboard sound

ideviouz

Gawd
So I found my old Audigy X-gamer (1st generation).. but now I have a dilemma.

The X-gamer is a 5.1 but has Digital output which could be useful...

but my Abit IP35 Pro also has SPDIF digital outputs.. and has 7.1 audio (not that I'd use that many speakers)

which one would be better for sound in terms of quality???

I'm still waiting for Parts-Express to have free shipping before I get the Dayton 10" sub and still trying to decide on speakers.. :(

AND now that i7 appears to may have been released... trying to think if I should even bother building another q6600 system or just see how Nehalem is.. but that's another subject altogether..

Thanks in advance :)

ah welcome to my boat-
vista 64 here and an ip35 pro mobo too- I've also got my old Audigy (2zs platinum) and have had issues getting it to work well with games, movies, and music. I've not tried this past month, but when I built my system a few months ago I did have it in there and had endless driver issues-

I'd like to give it another go (if for nothing else than the front panel) but I could never get the front ports to work on Vista 64 with Daniel K or creative's drivers once released. EAX in games was a no go either.

I'm thinking of going to a DAC from the digital out on the IP35, or maybe going for a nice card like the Asus D2X as I've read good things~

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132005

Good luck-

ah welcome to my boat-
vista 64 here and an ip35 pro mobo too- I've also got my old Audigy (2zs platinum) and have had issues getting it to work well with games, movies, and music. I've not tried this past month, but when I built my system a few months ago I did have it in there and had endless driver issues-

I'd like to give it another go (if for nothing else than the front panel) but I could never get the front ports to work on Vista 64 with Daniel K or creative's drivers once released. EAX in games was a no go either.

I'm thinking of going to a DAC from the digital out on the IP35, or maybe going for a nice card like the Asus D2X as I've read good things~

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132005

Good luck-

Wow that's expensive... $200? Wouldn't it be better to just buy a receiver then?

well perhaps, but the issue is your then (possibly) feeding the receiver junk, so even if the receiver is an excellent amp, it will only further your ability to notice sound quality issues produced by the computer and internal interference.

This is a bit of a moot point if you're using the digital out - if that is the case just use the onboard digital out and let something else do the conversion work (like your receiver, or a DAC)

Okay... the answer has been inadvertently decided for me...
I can't find drivers for this old card online... not even on the Creative website...
so this card is basically useless... ;\
Although it looks like a X-fi card... ugh.

Okay... the answer has been inadvertently decided for me...
I can't find drivers for this old card online... not even on the Creative website...
so this card is basically useless... ;\
Although it looks like a X-fi card... ugh.

Try using Daniel_K's modded drivers.

Another thread about a similar topic (ok same topic) lead to this post from Surly73

Surly73:
I've been pleasantly surprised by the latest creative drivers on Vista Ultimate x64. I have an Audigy 2ZS and was originally debating the "unofficial" driver pack versus the latest creative release. I've gone with the latest Creative drivers and everything has been working fantastic - games and otherwise. I've even been surprised that many of the latest patches of older games don't even seem to need ALchemy.

I too would like to know what drivers he used, and perhaps what chipset that is on his motherboard as, although there shouldn't be conflicts here, I can't imagine what else would cause the disparity we're seeing with these cards and drivers on Vista x64

Back