SB Live! OEM card ... No disc, anyway to install?

ditzilla

Limp Gawd
Hi all

OK, specs in sig. I have one of those Asus M2N-Plus SLI Vista Edition boards with the astoundingly bad in every way onboard sound. It's not just that the sound is bleh? or quiet? or anything like that. It's the constant SCP. Uninstall driver, reboot, reinstall driver. Change (plug/unplug anything usb including keyboard/mouse; adjust the volume) and first you lose your mic and the rest of the sound is like it's coming through a bowl of rice crispies. Why Asus thought it was a good idea to somehow have the onboard sound be some type of USB device, I'll never know. I only know that much from uninstalling the drivers, rebooting and getting the Windows "has found new USB device type little "bubble" information. Especially since it DOES interfere with anything else you use that's USB - which these days is just about everything?!

Anyway, someone, after hearing my tale of woe, got me a very cheap creative sound blaster Live! card ... but no cd. Go to the site, it's unsupported, no driver. Model #CT4830 - this is the Live! Value/Player Compaq/Intel/IBM/NEC oem card.

So, I don't even know if this would work or should be put in this computer as 1) its, athlong; 2)it's XP Prol 3) it's in general a very new system.

I've never even attempted anything like this before - I've never needed to. But I'm an online dj, so my sound has to be at least clear, both music and the mic.

I did find on the Creative site the LiveDrvUni-Pack(ENG).exe, version 1.0.0.1 for Windows XP and Windows 2000, original file name setupcr.exe, product name Sound Blaster Live! Driver Pack II, special build description 1.00.01 ... I got all that from right clicking on the exe (yes, I d/l it, just don't know what to do next:confused:) and looking at the version information.

You typed all of that just to ask how to run a downloaded exe file?

Hi Mister X

Well, I typed all that - if you're referring to the .exe information I found in Version - because a) I'd read another topic where someone didn't have the original driver cd and was having a horrific time trying to get his soundcard installed properly and b) because this being an older, OEM Intel? type card, I wanted to know if it was even possible or plausible to try to get it installed in this computer.

I know, I type too much. But I try to give as much information as I can when I'm asking for help. Hopefully saves people replying with ... what's the motherboard, what's the card, which driver do you have, etc. I'm trying to help you possibly be able to help me, as I've never done this before. And there is the added factor of the motherboard's onboard audio being usb and getting that fully uninstalled/disabled and whatever card I get installed/enabled so I finally have reliable, clear sound and a stable computer to go along with it.

ditzilla:

I appreciate that fact that you are trying to be thorough but I dunno that it is warranted here because all you had to do was execute the file you downloaded to answer your own question.

Back