SB Overclocking results?

Database

Detroit Redbirds!!!
What's everyone been able to do so far? I got mine at 4.6 ghz currently... how are things looking for you guys?

Using a CoolerMaster 212+ with just a single fan for now.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:
My 2600k is stable at 4.4GHz w/ 1.3v. I'll try for 4.6 tomorrow w/ 1.35, but I think 1.35 is going to be my limit because i want it to last 4-5 years :)

EDIT oh and with my H70 my temps at load at: 58/61/62/60

Andy muh man. Don't hold back. Whip that Sandy Bridge like a stubborn mule. I'm going to run mine at 1.4 if that's what it takes to get 4.8 - 5Ghz. I read somewhere the safe limit is 1.52v ... pretty high. That's from the Intel white paper on the sandy bridge.

5 years from now, a lot could happen. We won't be here due to Holocaust or, your cpu will be worth $50 dollars if that.

And in 5 years, no doubt we will have 16 or 24 maybe even 32 core CPU's.

pretty sure I'm going to lap the IHS on mine... if past is any indication they won't be flat at all and it will help with temps by a good 5-10 degrees on load without affecting resale. Cheap and easy to do. Q6600 rig I've been running for years has a lapped IHS and has been running 3.6 on air rock stable the whole time. These are pretty typical results

http://forums.legitreviews.com/about10788.html

I assume lapping would void any warranties or ability to return the chip right? Probably best to make sure it's working right before undertaking this endeavor. However, those results are pretty interesting...

Very interesting, yummy.

I pulled 4.6 this morning at 1.35 and was steady around 68-70, around 110Watts. Did you measure your wattage at 4.8?

how would I go about measuring wattage?
Using something like a kill-a-watt?

That part would be interesting, then I could know what my heat sink is trying to deal with.

Voltage is at 1.4 because of LLC. Its set to 1.375, but under load LLC is bumping up the voltage quite a lot to compensate. With out the LLC turned on I would start off at at 1.375 and then as load went up the voltage drop would be substantial and prime 95 would fail and then windows would fail

Current 2600k setup

48x100.mhz
1.4v
Temps are running high at 80c at 100% load
Noctua NH-U12P SE2 with both fans in place
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608014

at 4.5ghz temps were at 70c full load. Seems like anything higher than that and my chip seems to get exponentially hotter with every 100mhz increase.

curious what is your 2600k batch number ? compiling a list http://i4memory.com/f55/intel-core-i5-2400-2500-2500k-core-i7-2600-2600k-batch-numbers-list-27701/ :)

That post by Gibbers (from overclockers) - is that the final word on SB Vcore limits?
1.38v seems awfully low, considering what I've been seeing used on the various forums...however, if that's the recommendation for a 24/7 OC, I suppose it makes sense.

I managed 5.3 @ 1.6 v for some extreme benches. But never saw temps higher than the mid 80s. Using the cooler in my signature with a high output high pressure fan. It is too loud at full bore but for benching its alright.
I will try and get a better grip on temperatures when I get around to playing some more.

Last edited:
And what are the thermal limits of SNB? I like that they can handle higher voltages. Looking forward to socket 2011.

If your not getting 5Ghz on a 2600k, your not trying hard enough. ;)

I managed 5.3 @ 1.6 v for some extreme benches. But never saw temps higher than the mid 80s. Using the cooler in my signature with a high output high pressure fan. It is too loud at full bore but for teaching its alright.
I will try and get a better grip on temperatures when I get around to playing some more.

How is that board working for you? Mine is giving me alot of trouble...i think it may be a dud. A couple times it wouldnt post and would get stuck in a cycle just turning on then restarting, clearing the CMOS fixed it the first few times but now the CMOS either wont clear or the board is done. Also alot of the time pushing Del wouldnt let it get into the BIOS. You have any issues like this?

My 2500k does 4.6ghz at 1.35v or so...temps in 50's on water...absolutely could not get it any higher.

I managed 5.3 @ 1.6 v for some extreme benches. But never saw temps higher than the mid 80s. Using the cooler in my signature with a high output high pressure fan. It is too loud at full bore but for teaching its alright.

wow - that CPU is going to explode if you run it anywhere near 1.6v for very long

i7 2600K
Asus P8P67 Pro
Corsair H50

Running "OC Tuner" got me 4.3 out of the box. Ran F@H all night Sunday, and all day yesterday without any errors. Highest temp. was 72 on the 2nd core. CPUZ reported 1.3+ for voltage.

Shut down folding this morning to try some higher clocks. Set voltage to 1.3 and tried the 45 multiplier. Booted into Windows fine, and ran 3 loops of IBT on high without error.

Multi's 46, 47, and 48 all give BSOD during boot with voltages all the way up to 1.4. There may be other things I can try, not sure. Need to learns me more about this board and CPU.

So, for now it looks like I'm "stuck" with 4.5 :)

I'm running 4.6 @ 1.325v (1.336 with vdroop correction @ load)
This gives me a load temp of 66/67

VCCIO 1.125
VCCSA 1.0
PLL 1.825

I cannot get 4.7 @ 1.35v or even 1.36

I'm not so sure I want to push too close to 1.4 (taking into account vdroop correction) So I might just settled at 4.6 since I can do it at 1.325, and maybe even lower.

Also, I'm not running the bios w/ PLL overvolt correction, and I hear that helps.

Question to everyone, has setting VCCIO to 1.15-1.2 helped getting to 4.7 or 4.8?

How is that board working for you? Mine is giving me alot of trouble...i think it may be a dud. A couple times it wouldnt post and would get stuck in a cycle just turning on then restarting, clearing the CMOS fixed it the first few times but now the CMOS either wont clear or the board is done. Also alot of the time pushing Del wouldnt let it get into the BIOS. You have any issues like this?

My 2500k does 4.6ghz at 1.35v or so...temps in 50's on water...absolutely could not get it any higher.

Look for the F6x bios. It removes the hard wall. I had to play with it a bit to get it to take, but make sure you manually load optimized defaults after the flash, then change whatever settings you want. I had a hard limit at 48 before that bios.

Anyone care to post some comparasion benchmarks i7 9xx vs i7 2600k clock per clock? or even multy gpu setup? thanks!

Come on? someone :( ?

Last edited:
Look for the F6x bios. It removes the hard wall. I had to play with it a bit to get it to take, but make sure you manually load optimized defaults after the flash, then change whatever settings you want. I had a hard limit at 48 before that bios.

Thanks for the tip...got it up to 4.8ghz now at 1.4v. Seems to have made the board alot less finicky with failed overclocks as well.

Thanks for the tip...got it up to 4.8ghz now at 1.4v. Seems to have made the board alot less finicky with failed overclocks as well.

Lower those voltage more, you should be able to have stable 4.8 at 1.35 volts

i have a stock 2600k with a hyper 212+ and its idling at ~32 and maxing around ~53. is that normal? coming from a e6600 that ran at 3GHz idling at 24 and maxing at 55 with a stock cooler, so it just seems a little warm to me, esp with an aftermarket heatsink.

if it is normal im going to go ahead and OC. I just want to make sure I got this heatsink seated and pasted correctly.

Lower those voltage more, you should be able to have stable 4.8 at 1.35 volts

Windows loading screen freezes at 1.35v.

Anyone know if the new F6 BIOS posted on Gigabyte's site includes the fixes from the F6x beta?

i hit a wall at 4.2 with my 2500k and p8p67 pro stock voltage 4.3 wont boot windows even with more voltage. also confused i have vcore set to auto but in windows while folding cpuz is showing 1.33 vcore. i am scared it give it more then +.05 because if auto is 1.33 then +.05 would be getting close to 1.4.

have a few settings on mobo adjusted but not any voltages yet. my last OC was q6600 with rev 1 p35 board so most of these settings are all new to me. still learning, i think all the automatic stuff is what scares me the most. like 1.33 vcore when set to auto. anyone with same board can you post all your changes so i have an idea what else i need to tweak next.

i hit a wall at 4.2 with my 2500k and p8p67 pro stock voltage 4.3 wont boot windows even with more voltage. also confused i have vcore set to auto but in windows while folding cpuz is showing 1.33 vcore. i am scared it give it more then +.05 because if auto is 1.33 then +.05 would be getting close to 1.4.

have a few settings on mobo adjusted but not any voltages yet. my last OC was q6600 with rev 1 p35 board so most of these settings are all new to me. still learning, i think all the automatic stuff is what scares me the most. like 1.33 vcore when set to auto. anyone with same board can you post all your changes so i have an idea what else i need to tweak next.

Have you updated to the latest bios for that board? 4.2 seems pretty low for the max.

Stable at 4.8, at 1.35v.

Tried a few times for 5.0, but could get to it...probably needs 1.4v

Stable at 4.8, at 1.35v.

What are your bios settings ? LLC cpl ect ? intel eist ? EC1, turbo mode on or off ?

Database: currently i have bios 1003. i have tried 1053 with the same results. ya of course i had hopes of 5ghz but kinda expected to at least hit 4.4-4.5 at worst with vcore bump. i think i might be missing something because 4.2 is rocket solid and 4.3 wont even boot windows with everything i have tried so far. i have a cosair A70 max temp so far is 48C folding over night at 4.2

so far the only voltage settings i have changed is:

LLC: High

Phase Control: Extreme

i would bump the vcore more but i am concerned with the 1.33 vcore i see in cpuz with vcore set to auto in windows. at idle vcore drops to 1.00X something but under load shoots up to 1.33X

Stable at 4.8, at 1.35v.

What are your bios settings ? LLC cpl ect ? intel eist ? EC1, turbo mode on or off ?

Turbo/Speedstep/HT: enabled
PLL overvolt fix: enabled
LLC: extreme
Phase control: extreme

Vcore: 1.35
VCCSA: 1.0
VCCIO: 1.125
PLL: 1.825
CPU Spread Spectrum: disabled
C1E: enabled

anything else?

Back