SB turn off speedstep / downclock?

Database

Detroit Redbirds!!!
Has anyone figured out how to do this... When "idle" my processor clocks down to 1.6 ghz, I'd like to turn that off, I don't mind if it clocks down from my overclock to stock but I don't like it at 1.6 ghz.

I can have several VMs running in VMWorkstation, browsing the net, etc and it stays at 1.6? Anyone been successful while maintaining overclock? I'm using an Asus P8P67 Deluxe board.

shouldnt it clock up if you need it? I would think you would want that on. But you can try clicking the "Max performance" in the power settings themes, or make one that doesnt downclock the CPU.

Should be easy enough, but wasting power probably.

Why don't you like it at 1.6? It should clock right back up as soon as you're under load.

Do you notice slowness?

Why don't you like it at 1.6? It should clock right back up as soon as you're under load.

Do you notice slowness?

I would rather have it clocked up at all times, I don't care about power usage. I don't know if i notice slowness, doesn't seems quite as snappy as it should in VMs, I'd rather the VMs always have 4+ ghz available directly without having to clock up the processor.

I've tried setting max performance on the power settings and even disabled intel speedstep but I still see the same behavior...

If you have voltage manually set, which I do currently it uses the same amount of volts at 1.6 ghz anyways.

Do you notice slowness?

I don't see how you would notice slowness the cpu changes clock states faster than you can click the mouse.

And to the OP there must be some setting in the bios to disable it wait until someone with the same board post.

Also, I can sit here with CPUz open and watch it switch between 1.6 ghz and 4.6 ghz or whatever I have it clocked at at the time every SECOND basically... this is with VMs running. Again, I'd much rather just have it set where I want it. I've honestly never been a big fan of speedstep technology in desktops. It's fine in laptops to conserve power.

I believe it is EIST that handles the downclock. Either that or C1E - try turning both of those off in the BIOS.

I believe it is EIST that handles the downclock. Either that or C1E - try turning both of those off in the BIOS.

Thanks, I'll give it a shot here shortly and report back. Waiting on some updates to install on one of my VMs.

OK, I already had EIST off, Displayed as Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology. I turned off C1E as well, however the issue is still there :(

Any other ideas?

I just finished building a SB rig for my friend, maybe play with the wierd power settings/options in the bios and maybe the switches on the mobo has something to do with it.

If you turn off turbo, can you manually set a multiplier for it to use? Maybe that'll force a full-time clock setting? I don't have my SB yet (arriving tomorrow), so I'm just guessing.

If you turn off turbo, can you manually set a multiplier for it to use? Maybe that'll force a full-time clock setting? I don't have my SB yet (arriving tomorrow), so I'm just guessing.

If I turn off turbo I get no options to change the multiplier, that was my first thought as well.

Hm, still up for suggestions, I've tried everything I see even remotely close. Still no go, I'm starting to wonder if this bios is fucked up (it's the beta version out currently)

I guess I'll try to flash a different one tomorrow and see what happens.

It probably is the BIOS. I've seen the same kind of thing, but on an AMD setup. Get in touch with the motherboard maker and make them aware of the issue. Some of them will even send you a revised BIOS to help fix it.

Yes, flash your BIOS and take up some customer rep's time at the manufacturer so you can disable a helpful feature that doesn't negatively impact performance all for your peace of mind that your processor can wastefully do nothing really really fast. Sounds like a solid plan! :)

Try ThrottleStop. You can play with multi and set it to your desire.
You can play with Turbo Ratio Limit and Turbo Power Limit too.

2600kstasio.png

LE: also check in Windows Power scheme that Minimum processor state is 100%. Sometimes Windows interferes with BIOS settings.

Last edited:
also check in Windows Power scheme that Minimum processor state is 100%. Sometimes Windows interferes with BIOS settings.

This....

software can directly alter your hardware settings, and I would be good money that this is what is down clocking your cpu.

I say leave it the way it is.

Web surfing doesn't consume 100% cpu and neither do VMs running idle in the background. Keep in mind cpu frequency can switch back and forth thousands of times per second so whatever CPU-Z shows (or any other utility) is frequency at that exact moment of polling and it might change milliseconds after.

Theres is NO WAY you can notice slowdowns from this feature.

I say leave it the way it is.

Web surfing doesn't consume 100% cpu and neither do VMs running idle in the background. Keep in mind cpu frequency can switch back and forth thousands of times per second so whatever CPU-Z shows (or any other utility) is frequency at that exact moment of polling and it might change milliseconds after.

Theres is NO WAY you can notice slowdowns from this feature.

I did notice (I thought) w/ "core 2's".........is it different w/ the new 2nd gen. i's/Core's?

Last edited:
Try ThrottleStop. You can play with multi and set it to your desire.
You can play with Turbo Ratio Limit and Turbo Power Limit too.

2600kstasio.png

LE: also check in Windows Power scheme that Minimum processor state is 100%. Sometimes Windows interferes with BIOS settings.

Yeah, i changed the Windows power settings already.

So have you turned off the power saving features??

yup, it's on high performance, i went through and set min and max password to 100%, etc... I'm about to flash the bios now to see what happens.

Why not run a very low priority task such as folding at home? This will keep the clock-speed up and and step aside when another process needs it. plus benefit mankind :)

Also, are you sure it is a real problem (no offence) but there will be latency in tools that report the clock-speed. the SB's have around a million transistors dedicated to power management, I really doubt there is going to be any real delay in speed changes.

Why not run a very low priority task such as folding at home? This will keep the clock-speed up and and step aside when another process needs it. plus benefit mankind :)

Also, are you sure it is a real problem (no offence) but there will be latency in tools that report the clock-speed. the SB's have around a million transistors dedicated to power management, I really doubt there is going to be any real delay in speed changes.

I'm not debating whether or not it's worth the hassle and I'm not stating really that it's a problem except apparently disabling it doesn't work. But it should be able to be disabled. I personally don't see the point if I have my voltage manually set why I would want to run at a lower clock speed.

I've found a few other threads on other forums with people wanting to do the same thing but I don't see anyone has solved it yet. I'm going to check out the physical switches on the board later.

Thread ressurection! Hoping somebody can help me out with this problem, since I still have it and it sounds like the OP does too.

I'm not debating whether or not it's worth the hassle and I'm not stating really that it's a problem except apparently disabling it doesn't work. But it should be able to be disabled. I personally don't see the point if I have my voltage manually set why I would want to run at a lower clock speed.

I've found a few other threads on other forums with people wanting to do the same thing but I don't see anyone has solved it yet. I'm going to check out the physical switches on the board later.

I'm getting unusually mad about this...

This is an issue, Intel's throttling isn't instant, thus it takes time to ramp up and thus consumes cycles. I cant speak to VM's --but I've got no reason to doubt his story-- I can say that when I'm compiling my company's mega-project the processor sticks at a throttled speed. This laptop is a Lenovo W520, with a 2620QM (throttled speed of 800Mhz, "stock" speed of 2.3Ghz, Turbo speed of 3.3GHz). Build times are noticeably faster when you force Turbo mode with throttle-stop.

I've disabled all throttling techs I can find in the bios, and I've got everything set to performance in windows power management. No dice.

If I don't hear back from you guys in the new few days, I'll post steps on scripting Throttlestop to run at log-in.

edit: gah, Throttlestop has stopped working for me...

Last edited:
Didn't notice this thread was raised from the dead. Ignore this reply.

Last edited:
This is an issue, Intel's throttling isn't instant, thus it takes time to ramp up and thus consumes cycles. I cant speak to VM's --but I've got no reason to doubt his story-- I can say that when I'm compiling my company's mega-project the processor sticks at a throttled speed.

It's not that it takes time for the system to throttle up, as that happens pretty much instantaneously, it is that the system doesn't think there is enough of a load to require full speed.

Normally just disabling EIST and C1E will take care of it, but on some boards it is not possible to disable all the powersaving features - it just isn't implemented in the BIOS (even though it may give you the options). It has been a problem in the past.

Last edited:
Back