SB X-Fi Purchased at Best Buy Today ( Pictures Enclosed )

SixFootDuo

Supreme [H]ardness
$129 @ Best Buy

They currently, nationwide carry 2 versions of the card. $129 base model, which has audio card, software disc and case badge / rear card color coded connector sticker. Then the $199 Version with front audio panel and remote, maybe additional software.

The cards foot-print is exactly the same as the Audigy 2 ZS. The audio cpu is much smaller however.

Mp3's do sound much better. Hard to explain this. Software installed nicely. I did not have to uninstall my old ZS drivers. So no software driver issues. Software GUI is VERY Slick looking. So far, I'm impressed.

Pics below, enjoy

DSC01921.jpg

DSC01919.jpg

DSC01924.jpg

That is one nice looking card and I'm sure it sounds great as well. I haven't seen Best Buy receive it yet, though I'm in Canada and it will probably be another few weeks.

I wonder if its worth upgrading from an Audigy 2 ZS? I just listen to music and game sometimes..

Circuitbreaker8 said:
I wonder if its worth upgrading from an Audigy 2 ZS? I just listen to music and game sometimes..

What I hear about this card, if you have already have a Audigy 2 or higher and just listen to music and game sometimes, it isnt worth the upgrade.

*Shrug* to me it was more than worth the 129.99 I spent on it and I have an Audigy 2 ZS and a HDA X-Mystique 7.1. I play games ocassionally, play with music and listen to music, as well as watch movies on my PC. Im honestly pretty impressed with it, check out the review on guru3d he seemed to like his as well.

DPGX said:
*Shrug* to me it was more than worth the 129.99 I spent on it and I have an Audigy 2 ZS and a HDA X-Mystique 7.1. I play games ocassionally, play with music and listen to music, as well as watch movies on my PC. Im honestly pretty impressed with it, check out the review on guru3d he seemed to like his as well.

Hmmmm...I just can't imagine how it would sound "better". Not to mention how crappy Creatives software is...don't know if I want to deal w/ a new card from them just yet.

DPGX said:

Isnt the Mystique suppose to be the best card out now, and even better than the X-FI series? Or is that all hype?

I totally understand people that are a little hesitant to purchase these, but from what Ive seen on tech forums around the net so far, I've yet to see negative feedback on anything from anyone who owns an X-Fi. Yes the software folder on my hd is 494 megs but I installed everything the card had available with it. The software is completely re-written from the Audigy series and quite a bit more refined from my experience with it.

The Mystique was considered one of the best cards out prior to the release of the X-Fi. The X-Fi wasnt available to compare the two at the time and generally the Mystique may appeal to a different market (those looking to hook their soundcard via SPDIF to their external home theater receivers will likely purchase these still). Dont get me wrong its a great card still, I loved mine, but for my purposes I enjoy the X-Fi more. The DSP is far and away the best consumer level DSP used on a soundcard to date (one thatll actually handle EAX Advanced HD calls, it also handles 128 voices in games which is nice as the next best thing is 64 voices). Check out a few of the reviews when you get a chance, its not all hype, but as with any product on the market there will be some hype surrounding it. Its marketing, thats what they do of course :)

Circuitbreaker8 said:
Not to mention how crappy Creatives software is...don't know if I want to deal w/ a new card from them just yet.

I want to get an X-Fi card to upgrade my original Audigy. All I want to know from the OP is how well the software installs. I like Creative cards, but damn; their software sucks!!

So SixFootDuo, how is the software?

I did a clean install after purchasing mine but the software installs fine. The control panels are nice that switch when you change modes between gaming, entertainment and audio creation... It keeps everything pretty organized, but I havent had any problems yet and the whole software suite seems more responsive than the Audigy series software.

I got mine today from BB as well. I upgraded from an A2 ZS and am very impressed with the sound quality. I also agree that the software install went smooth and have had no issues at all. BF2 sounds cool as ever with the settings set to ultra high and for the x-fi. It seems to me from reading around here that the ones doing most of the complaining, don't even own the cards. To me, that's more suspect than someone who does own the card and says everything "sounds" better (because I think everthing does as well!).

Shawn

It will prolly be sometime before anyone can find something to complain about. But so far, everything works perfect and sounds great.

I noticed in Worlds Of Warcraft that the different sound channels, meaning, the ambience, music, sound efx, etc was better defined. I could hear each of the games sound channels better. Foot steps, wind, weapons clashing, etc.

As I said earlier, the GUI ( grafix user interfacce ) is very slick and well thought out.

Driver install was effortless. After installing all of the software, then rebooting. I ran "Test Install ( Software )" and everything passed. The reason I did that was because with my old Audigy 2 ZS, after I installed the software and a reboot, I swear, I ran the test and it came back with errors. I had this same problem with that sound card in 2 or 3 new systems, different cpu's and motherboards. So that says something positive to me.

So far, games sound great, MP3's sound a lot "crisper" and better defined. I am no expert and can only share my personal opinon based on what I've heard since this afternoon. But,then again, when you spend money on something, you "want" to hear, see, taste, smell better regardless. There is a name for this, but it escapes me.

As far as the X-Ram goes. I don't see it getting wide support so I don't think that is a feature people really need to go and buy. You will see X-Ram support in upcoming games no doubt but I bet it is something that you see Creative funding / pushing for with costs and hardware coming out of their pockets. Time will tell. If you look at the big picture and take costs into account its nothing you really have to worry about.

So far, Im impressed with no bad tastes or doubts about this upgrade.

Kristina

I got mine today as well, and like all creative cards I install just the card w/ minimum installation and works great, installs the consoles for the three modes really simple like 3 clicks.bf2 does sound great as well. And the crystallizer thing really works I been blasting alice in chains and corrosion of conformity all day (happy b-day lane RIP). Also i have the creative 5.1 the subwoofers sounds like 500x better than it did with the audigy2 value, made my movies sound like the friggin theater

Lazy_Moron said:
Isnt the Mystique suppose to be the best card out now, and even better than the X-FI series? Or is that all hype?
I just upgraded to the X-FI Platinum from a mystique today and might say I absolutely love the X-FI. Now dont get me wrong the Mystique is a great card but I prefer having all the options that the X-FI has for sound enhancment.

I M O As of now Creative software's no longer sucks! It installed and runs flawlessly on my box :D

justin82 said:
I got mine today as well, and like all creative cards I install just the card w/ minimum installation and works great, installs the consoles for the three modes really simple like 3 clicks.bf2 does sound great as well. And the crystallizer thing really works I been blasting alice in chains and corrosion of conformity all day (happy b-day lane RIP). Also i have the creative 5.1 the subwoofers sounds like 500x better than it did with the audigy2 value, made my movies sound like the friggin theater

I'm sold :D

Can't imagine how good my Klipsch Ultras will sound :D

Lets all reserve the negative judgement until there's more feedback ;) .

I've now read a good 7 or 8 threads where former ZS owners swear the X-Fi sounds better in both music and games, couple that with better 3D positional audio and we might have the makings of a winner.

And yea, lets hope there are less complaints with X-Fi drivers :)

SixFootDuo said:
It will prolly be sometime before anyone can find something to complain about.

Wait a sec... ... ... You are familiar with these forums, right?

HAHAHAHAH

I could start linking to various whines, but I am too lazy. I mean why does creative have to make this card and therefore cause you to post, which in turn makes me look like a lazy bastard for not linking to the appropriate examples. CREATIVE oh how I loath YOU!!!! (Am I complaining yet?)

After installing X-Fi when setting Audio option in BF2 to X-Fi - Ultra high and clicking apply I was crashing immediatly to desktop!

I applied the latest web update for the console: 2_00_31 and still no joy. On the soundblaster.com downloads I found another 22mb download and after installing this 2_07_0003 update it is working OK now. Definitely sounds better in BF2 vs Audigy 2 ZS after some brief gaming.

Hope this helps somebody else with any BF2 problems!

Gawd, I swore to myself never to buy creative again. AOl ads in my software discs isn't making the decision any easier

I hated that too.. but apparently there is no longer any AOL advertisements in the software according to the guru of 3D.

why is there a gaming port on it? didn't they do out years ago?

Big Fat Duck said:
the only difference between the xtrememusic card and the fatality card is the X-ram, right

Base card yes, but you get an internal I/O Drive, Remote and more software as well. Gamespot listed the shipping software.

Donnie

Sadly, it's beyond my soundcard budget. I'll have to settle with the audigy2zs for now.

Picked one of these up today and wow -- im floored. Was using an Audigy 2 and the differnce is nite and day, I feel like i've got new speakers. I notticed the differnce immediatly with my Promedia 5.1 standard speakers, headphones are greatly improved as well. I havent heard a jump in quality like this since Live > Audigy.

Regards,
Mike

Circuitbreaker8 said:
I'm sold :D

Can't imagine how good my Klipsch Ultras will sound :D

That's what I want to find out. I upgraded to the ZS from a Digifire 7.1less than a month ago and I can't say I'm that impressed with the bass output on the ZS(that and some of the music like Turbonegro/suicidal tendencies hurts my ears when I turn it up to 65+ when it didn't with my old card), however everything else sounded better. Now I want to see how well the X-fi does, just deciding whether or not I want the Xtreme Music version or the Fatal1ty version, especially since all my 5.25" drive bays are occupied alread. Either way I'm really wanting this(one of these) card(s).

Brok3n said:
all I wanted was a pepsi and she wouldn't give it to me.

As much as I love them, Instituionalized wasn't one of my favorite(well kind of but many other better ones) however that is a discussion for Musicians & Music. ;) I am curious to hear feedback from people who made the move from and Audigy series card with the Klipsch setup(or simialr) and if the bass performance/hit seemed better/harder... Either way I'll find out for myself anyway but I'd still like to know. Also how does the Extreme music perform in games?

do the mp3s sound better than an audigy 1 player on stereo headphones?
if yes please explain

Just got my X-Fi Platinum 2 days ago and I am amazed of the new clarity. I upgraded from a digifire 7.1.

Only issue i have when I play a game (BF2), I like to watch along my local news on my DELL 2005 widescreen. I can only have the audio for the game, but can't hear the news. When I exit the game, all sounds are now garbled and I have to click the default button to reset the audio.

Upgraded from an Audigy 1 Gamer to the X-Fi XtremeMusic a couple of weeks ago myself. Only just caught the thread on it here tonight.

I got mine at BB. At the time, it was either to go with the the Audigy ZS or the X-Fi, since they were side by side on the self, and for about the same price. So I went with the new X-Fi, not having read anything about it yet at the time.

I was concerned at the time if I could even install it in my system, because of the only available slot on my systems being a 64 bit PCI-X, but it installed OK, and the software loaded up without a single problem. As for the sound, I have absolutely no complaints. I now have to upgrade my speakers from my old Creative 5300 5.1's to maybe 7.1 Klipsch's. :D

weird, guess i still had a cookie from creative when i almost ordered fatality board for 199. i went today and it came up for 199 so i pre-ordered it. when are these cards supposed to ship? i was gonna get the platinum today but wanted the xram for the same price instead. :p

xxBlackCrossxx said:
whippy, do you think the i/o drive and the remote are worth the extra 60 bux?

I have a 5.1 setup with my Logitech z-680. The only thing that I hate about creative sound cards are they don't want to put the optical and SPDIF connectors on the card it self, its on the i/o drive :(

I haven't really used much of the remote coz I already made presets with the 3 modes that I can shoose with to load.

To answer your question, I'm pretty happy with it.

I thought that had X-ram on it cuz of that samsung mem module right above the xfi chip.. :eek:

SixFootDuo said:
$129 @ Best Buy

They currently, nationwide carry 2 versions of the card. $129 base model, which has audio card, software disc and case badge / rear card color coded connector sticker. Then the $199 Version with front audio panel and remote, maybe additional software.

The cards foot-print is exactly the same as the Audigy 2 ZS. The audio cpu is much smaller however.

Mp3's do sound much better. Hard to explain this. Software installed nicely. I did not have to uninstall my old ZS drivers. So no software driver issues. Software GUI is VERY Slick looking. So far, I'm impressed.

Pics below, enjoy

DSC01921.jpg

DSC01919.jpg

DSC01924.jpg

All the cards have memory. The 2 lower cards both have a 2meg samsung chip, my fatal1ty and the top card use a 64 meg MT 48LC32M16A2 instead.

Wildwhippy said:
I have a 5.1 setup with my Logitech z-680. The only thing that I hate about creative sound cards are they don't want to put the optical and SPDIF connectors on the card it self, its on the i/o drive :(

I haven't really used much of the remote coz I already made presets with the 3 modes that I can shoose with to load.

To answer your question, I'm pretty happy with it.

cool thx. i just upgraded my z680 to the z5500. i still have slight hum in the sub. i cant pinpoint where the intereference is coming from. i only get it when pod is in 6ch analogue mode. you get sub hum? anyway, thx for reply, i just preordered the fatality for 199 so ill just wait and see.

Back