SBS-01 bookshelves for my computer?

sativa

Limp Gawd
I want to get some new speakers for my computer and I've decided to get something that I'll be able to use a home theatre setup once I graduate. I was thinking about a 2.1 system because I really don't need surround sound and the wiring would be a nightmare w/ my current desk placement. But I would like to be able to upgrade to 5.1 later...

My search has led me to the SVS SBS-01 speakers (i'd get the sub in the summer)... I could get the center and rear speakers after I graduate.

But i really don't understand how to hook them up for use with a creative x-fi xtrememusic card... Do I need an amp? How does the wiring work?

Well, you would need an amp. And a 1/8" mini stereo to dual RCA cable to connect to the amp.

You're probably going to want to get a cheap reciever.

I'd check for refurb onkyo or hk recievers.

You could probably get a cheaper amp, but it sounds like you're going to want a reciever in the future anyways.

Vertigo Acid said:
Listening to one right now and no complaints whatsoever, cept the lack of a phono stage.

excuse my newbness but whats a phono stage.

sativa said:
Thanks... Yeah i saw it earlier but I don't know if i want to buy refurb... let me know how it is.

unfortunately my speakers are backordered till march so this receiver is gonna be gathering dust lol. oh well its too good of a price to pass up.
Well, it's the same 1-year warrenty onkyo is offering ordering refurb direct from them. I'm happy with mine.

I've never used the SVS speakers, but you have the general idea down. From the computer to a receiver. From the receiver to the speakers. Quite simple really.

When Vertigo Acid says phono stage, that's just a "special input" on the receiver that is designed for a turntable. It does a few extra things that the audio from a turntable usually needs.

Do yourself a favor though, and try and listen to the speakers first hand if you can. I can't tell you how bad it is to buy 250$ speakers only to find out they are cheap and not worth the price paid. Either that, or make sure the company has a good return / satisfaction guarantee.

~Hope this helps

towert7 said:
I've never used the SVS speakers, but you have the general idea down. From the computer to a receiver. From the receiver to the speakers. Quite simple really.

When Vertigo Acid says phono stage, that's just a "special input" on the receiver that is designed for a turntable. It does a few extra things that the audio from a turntable usually needs.

Do yourself a favor though, and try and listen to the speakers first hand if you can. I can't tell you how bad it is to buy 250$ speakers only to find out they are cheap and not worth the price paid. Either that, or make sure the company has a good return / satisfaction guarantee.

~Hope this helps

Yes it does. Thank you.

I broke down & ordered that receiver vertigo... didn't want to pass the deal up. azn let me know what the condition of yours is & whether or not you received a remote w/ yours.

can anybody direct me to a place where i can get quality wires? I don't want to pay 60 bucks for some crap I don't need, but I don't want some that will wear out too quick or have interferance problems. Thanks

Wires as in speark wire, or wires as in interconnects?
partsexpress.com has a decent selection of cables, http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?&DID=7&WebPage_ID=59

I own a few of their speaker cables and interconnects, and the build quality is very impresses for the price. I can not speak for sound quality, because im not at a point where my cables are the limiting factor ^_^. Just needed something that was built good, and would last.
Oh, the partsexpress cables are made by dayton audio.

You can also buy bulk cable and make your own if that's what you want, or just buy bulk cable and use it as is..

~Enjoy

Thanks.

So interconnects are the cables that would go from my sound card to the receiver and the speaker wires go from the receiver to the speakers... ?

sativa said:
Thanks.

So interconnects are the cables that would go from my sound card to the receiver and the speaker wires go from the receiver to the speakers... ?
Yes, exactly.

sativa said:
Thanks... Yeah i saw it earlier but I don't know if i want to buy refurb... let me know how it is.

unfortunately my speakers are backordered till march so this receiver is gonna be gathering dust lol. oh well its too good of a price to pass up.

umm opening the box, expecting some scratches/dents... but looks brand new... comes with everything packed and sealed like they are brand new too... very nice and sturdy design... decently weighted too.... I am impressed!

good job azn, sounds like a good deal. congrats.

so what kind of interconnect between the receiver and sound card should I use? I have an X-Fi extrememusic so I don't have the 5.25" bay thing.

sativa said:
good job azn, sounds like a good deal. congrats.

so what kind of interconnect between the receiver and sound card should I use? I have an X-Fi extrememusic so I don't have the 5.25" bay thing.
You can use either digital or analog.

If you want analog stereo, just connect a "3.5mm to dual RCA" cable to one of the inputs on the receiver. There are other ways of doing this which will yield the same result, but this is the easy way. example

If you want analog surround sound for games which support surround sound, then you will need to connect 3 analog cables to the "extension input" of the receiver if you have one. This uses three "3.5mm to dual RCA" cables.

If you want digital, you will need either a "3.5mm mono to single RCA" cable, and connect that to the digital coaxial input on the receiver. example
Or buy a cheap adapter which converts 3.5mm to a single RCA. example Then just use a standard digital coaxial cable.

3.5mm is often called "mini". Both mean the same thing.

~Hope this helps

here's a picture of the back of my unit (heh, 'unit')

txsr303r9pn.jpg

crap i think i should have ordered the 503.. those speaker outputs don't look right at all :(

sativa said:
crap i think i should have ordered the 503.. those speaker outputs don't look right at all :(

Why? Regular wire clamps, used on most non-expensive amps/receivers. Also, you can just get some wire and not worry about RCA interconnects.

towert7 said:
If you want digital, you will need either a "3.5mm mono to single RCA" cable, and connect that to the digital coaxial input on the receiver. example
Or buy a cheap adapter which converts 3.5mm to a single RCA. example Then just use a standard digital coaxial cable.
BTW, if anyone needs one of those, I'd be happy to make one. I bought a pair of 3.5mm mono connectors when I made one for my setup, and now have one left over. Pics if you'd like :)

Ahriman4891 said:
Why? Regular wire clamps, used on most non-expensive amps/receivers. Also, you can just get some wire and not worry about RCA interconnects.

well i'll be using these speakers w/ them (SBS-01):

satlg8gz.jpg

connectionlg9kf.jpg

Connect your analog outs to the DVD 5.1 inputs. Remember to setup Bass Management on your X-Fi, and enable the +15dB Bass Boost for proper LFE.

sativa:

It looks like the binding posts on your speakers will accept bare wire w/o a problem. So just something like this:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=100-142

or, even better, like this:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=100-150

would work fine. You'll just clamp the wire @ the receiver end and bind it at the speaker end. You don't even need to order the wire online--you can get decent 16-12 GA wire in RadioShack. I would suggest either 14 or 12 ga wire--I am using 16 ga, and I feel that the clamps on my Onkyo hold it just a tiny tad flimsily--I think a thicker wire would work better.

Back