SBS Exchange & email question...

dashpuppy

Supreme [H]ardness
Well I setup my domain on a new VM. 2010 SBS running perfectly got my domain running email working new wordpress working. NOW for some questions.

I have a email address at dashpuppy.com that I use for personal & communication from people.

On my old mail server I had a few email addresses one for my qnap to email me errors and faults and then another one that i used for forums that I am signed up on.

Is there a way that I can make a email address at my domain on exchange with SBS and be able to pick it up in my outlook on a NON joined to domain computer ?

OF course with doing this with a IMAP / POP server is simple, but now that i'm doing exchange, what are my options ?

You can connect outlook to exchange without being in the same domain, setup is the same, you'll just get prompted for userid & password when you configure and each time you start.

You just have to type in your password, with SBS typically it sets up Outlook Anywhere up for you anyway.

As for your QNAP just allow it to relay through the server, it doesn't need an account to do that.

You can connect outlook to exchange without being in the same domain, setup is the same, you'll just get prompted for userid & password when you configure and each time you start.

well my username @ domain ( on my laptop ) connected to the domain is a valid username @ email account, if i created a email account on the exchange will my outlook be able to retrieve the mail ?

it should. I connect my outlook to 4-5 different exchange servers (using profiles) all in different domains.

You just have to type in your password, with SBS typically it sets up Outlook Anywhere up for you anyway.

As for your QNAP just allow it to relay through the server, it doesn't need an account to do that.

I'll look into this too, will need to figure it out and also buy a ssl and then try to get my iphone to work on this too....

No need to buy an SSL especially if this is for personal use, you can use a free cert from startssl. I use them for a number of clients even.

SO i go into : exchange

exchange-mail-1.jpg

Then click New Mail box,

exchange-mail-2.jpg

what one do i select ?

No need to buy an SSL especially if this is for personal use, you can use a free cert from startssl. I use them for a number of clients even.

more info ?

Do I need a ssl for my iphone to connect to my server for mail properly ?

Sorry for all new questions, :)

Just use the SBS console to create a user account, it will create a mailbox as part of the process.

For the cert, go to https://www.startssl.com/?app=12
you'll have to verify your domain, they'll send an email code to the admin contact that is listed on your domain registration. Once you have verified, you'll be able to create the cert. You'll need to generate the request from your sbs box (I don't have a sbs 2011 vm running right now). IIRC, I think I had to do manually last time I tried, the wizard didn't work with the cert, so I had to install it manually in IIS and exchange.

Just use the SBS console to create a user account, it will create a mailbox as part of the process.

If I do this, won't it create a user on the domain ? I don't want another user, I just want a mail box.

NOW i need to also figure out where to find the settings for the mail server so i can add my sonicwall to send mail to me & my qnap & my word press..

oh, I misunderstood. You can't have just a mailbox, it needs to be tied to a user account. You can add another email address to an existing user on the SBS box, you aren't limited to just 1 per person.

oh, I misunderstood. You can't have just a mailbox, it needs to be tied to a user account. You can add another email address to an existing user on the SBS box, you aren't limited to just 1 per person.

Well that would work,

So say dashpuppy.com ( my domain ( duh )

Say i have [email protected] thats my username for my local & my email address.

I could add another email to that account on the domain and have 2 email addresses owned by dash ?

i want a few for my equipment say sonicwall qnap and my wordpress and my forumz mail.

??

yep, open the exchange console, under recipient config, click on mailbox, right click on your user, select properties, email address tab, and select add. add as many as you want. I'm sure there is some easy way to do it with powershell, but I'm still a console person until they take it away..lol.

yep, open the exchange console, under recipient config, click on mailbox, right click on your user, select properties, email address tab, and select add. add as many as you want. I'm sure there is some easy way to do it with powershell, but I'm still a console person until they take it away..lol.

If i make a mail box it will be the email address @ dashpuppy.com right ?

Will it auto populate into my one i already have ? or will i have to set it up in outlook ?

You aren't really making a new mailbox, just adding an additional email address to an existing mailbox. You won't need to do anything in outlook.

I guess I'm not following exactly what you are after then. If you want them to be separate mailboxes, you have to create an additional user account.

Just create a user... with a mailbox. It's not that hard.

Create an OU just for email only users or whatever and create them there... or add aliases. That's pretty much all ya got.

Lets see If I can figure it out.

If you want the emails to sit in a seperate mailbox - create a new account witht he email address and a mailbox then in the Exchange console give yourself full access to the mailbox.

Then on the laptop create your exchange account and then add in the mailbox in Account settings > More settings> Advanced.

If you want a non domain laptop to work it should work if you give it the exchange account settings - if auto discover works then no problem, if not manually create the account with the details being sure to go to More Settings > Connection > and adding in the exchange proxy settings.

Finally if you are using the self sgned SSL from the SBS you will need to install it on the laptop before it works - you can download the installed from the server in \\SERVERNAME\Public\Downloads. use the zip file, extract and run the exe.

Or I missed out completly on what your after. I send WAY too much time on SBS so fire any questions you want :p

ahh the perks of sbs and the 75 user cap. I'm going to highly doubt your going to makes out the 75 user limit just by yourself. Create multiple users and be done with it.

Just create a user... with a mailbox. It's not that hard.

Create an OU just for email only users or whatever and create them there... or add aliases. That's pretty much all ya got.

I don't want to create users then I would go over my 5 ( free ) users that come with sbs

talking to dave last night I could make aliases HOWEVER that's not going to work to well either.

If I have [email protected] my main email and everything else forwards to that, then I have a issue with folders and rules. I tried this lastnight, with my ipad I see the mail however it all goes into inbox until I open outlook then it gets all sorted and put into their folders. Same thing with owa/

SBS 2011 cals work on the honour system, so while you only have 5 device or users it isnt counting like 2003 did. only the 75 user limit is enforced.

SBS 2011 cals work on the honor system, so while you only have 5 device or users it isn't counting like 2003 did. only the 75 user limit is enforced.

You sure that isn't the other way around? I was under the impress that SBS 2011 worked on the you have this many system.

I know in SBS 2008 it was pretty damn picky about not having enough CALS.

I could be wrong, been a while. I try to avoid SBS like the plague

sounds like the rule you created might be client side, you need to make them server side rules so they run as soon as mail comes in. Try creating them from OWA rather than outlook, that pretty much forces them to be server side.

Nope - 2003 is the counting badly one.
2008/11 they changed it to the honour system. as long as you can present cals if asked. MS is a happy place :)

sounds like the rule you created might be client side, you need to make them server side rules so they run as soon as mail comes in. Try creating them from OWA rather than outlook, that pretty much forces them to be server side.

REALLY! will that work ? Will owa have to be opened all the time ? or will it basically be filtering non stop ?

If that is the case this will work :)

It should work - downside though is ipad wont monitor those folders unless you tell it to -not even sure if it counts it on the icon.

Just edit the outlook rule - if its displaying the desktop alert or something like that it will be client only, remove it and its server processed :)

It should work - downside though is ipad wont monitor those folders unless you tell it to -not even sure if it counts it on the icon.

Just edit the outlook rule - if its displaying the desktop alert or something like that it will be client only, remove it and its server processed :)

I don't see anywhere in the owa to make rules.. to move mail to certain folders...

I don't see anywhere in the owa to make rules.. to move mail to certain folders...

options in the upper right corner, then rules, then new rule in the drop down. First option (at least on sbs2008, is 'move messages from someone to a folder'.). you can also create your own, I think those first options are just templates.

options in the upper right corner, then rules, then new rule in the drop down. First option (at least on sbs2008, is 'move messages from someone to a folder'.). you can also create your own, I think those first options are just templates.

there is no rules option...

weird. I'll fire up my sbs 2011 lab vm when I get home and see if it's moved.

saw good, apparently after doing this fix to fix the shadow copying, it fixed outlook too.

1. Open an Administrative command prompt.
2. Change directory to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\BIN
3. Run PSConfig.exe -cmd upgrade -inplace b2b -force -cmd applicationcontent -install -cmd installfeatures

NOW my sbs will backup over network share and not fail, AND the new outlook is now in place.

Will def have to put this into my internal wiki :)

Back