SC:Conviction Demo on XBL (and some initial thoughts)

GushpinBob

2[H]4U
Anybody try it out yet?

I've played through it once and to be brutally honest I didn't really like it. The controls are radically different compared to the previous iterations and the AI seems to be a tad dumber this time around. The dynamic light saturation gets kind of annoying, especially when you're in an obviously dark area, and I now find myself missing the classic NVG used in the last games (the new sonar goggles are cool but they don't match up to the old style goggles). Gamesaves are checkpoint based with no "save anywhere/quicksave" feature, nor could I backtrack a level after loading the last checkpoint (though this could change in the full game).

I do like the "mark and execute" feature and all the neat animations Sam uses in hand-to-hand combat but this game feels like a radical departure from the previous games.

PS3 gamers, unless they make any major last minute changes to this game, I don't think you'll be missing out.

It was way different to Double Agent, demo was very short, AI is dumb, the gameplay feels great though. I'm looking forward to the finished game.

Downloaded the demo but haven't played it yet. Hated double agent and enjoyed the games before it. I will say I watched my brother playing this demo when I was at his house earlier today, didn't look that bad although the graphics didn't look that good(not bad but not good). Going to try the demo in a few hours when I get some free time.

Don't understand the hate/dislike for the demo at all; about the only dislike I can understand is the color to black/white thing (I personally like it). Demo is exactly what we've been told the game is going to be for almost a year now so I don't understand why people are surprised the game plays the way it does. Frankly i loved the demo so much I played it through twice (and will play it through more times without a doubt).

Few comments:
- Controls are different but they'll be easy to get used to; so I don't count that as a gripe.
- AI does seem a tad dumb but I've only played it on normal.
- Music is awesome and almost makes you feel like you're playing a bourne movie.
- Flow of the game feels near perfect (nothing is perfect), couldn't be more happy with this.
- atmosphere is good, I can imagine getting quite sucked into this game.

This demo has put every worry I might of had at ease. I'll definitely be picking this up on day one.

Last edited:
Played the demo last night. Overall it wasn't that bad, the tagging system is something I'm not a big fan of though.

One thing that did get me is that it didn't let me pick up people. I wanted to move them into the shadows like the old games.

Past that I'll end up picking this game up when it ships to give it a chance. Hopefully it will be worth it.

Back