Scalding: Galaxy 8800GT 512mb w/ Giant Cooler $239

no sinks on the card..... dead card...
Why does RAM necessarily need heatsinks?

The system RAM in my pooter doesn't need it, the RAM on this card is rated to 1 GHz (runs at 900 MHz stock), and the RAM gets direct airflow in this config as opposed to the stock cooler.

no sinks on the card..... dead card...

This may mean something for the mosfets, but doesn't have to. Most of the passively cooled/uncooled parts of the board don't generate as much heat as you think and can tolerate higher temperatures. Have you ever actually checked the difference between cooling your ram chips with great ramsinks vs. having them uncooled? It's almost always under 10% difference.

If I were going to buy it, I would install them as I overclock, but running stock speeds, as long as there's a little case airflow, I'm sure this card can run for years before any damage is done.

Looks like the fins on the heatpipe guide the air to blow on the ram to me.

The cooling solution looks decent, but I'd rather wait for a deal on an XFX or eVga card and slap a thermalright HR-03 GT on it.

This was supposed to be a better than reference board. The extra power connectors and 3 stage mosfets. But the other thing was the HDMI/SPDIF audio passthru and jumpers for Vcore adjustment.... but the connector/jumpers are missing on this model.

So this is NOT the Galaxy that the reviews were showing great promise with recently.

Oh well, keep waiting.

Sinks on the ram is overrated.

Lol...definitely going to have to disagree with you there, the beauty of this model is it allows you to place aftermarket ramsinks with efficient TIM that are actually going to be worthwhile
You'd have to be a fool to believe not using *quality* ramsinks is better than using them, try it out for me and tell me what kind of overclock you achieve on your vram :p

So this is NOT the Galaxy that the reviews were showing great promise with recently.

Oh well, keep waiting.

Link?
I can only find one or two reviews of the galaxy cards, mainly for the 256MB version.

As for sinks I plan on adding my own sooner or later; I doubt they'd be necessary at stock with a fan blowing on them directly.

I don't see why people are so interested in the warranty. Most of us are going to void it in a matter of days.

Link?
I can only find one or two reviews of the galaxy cards, mainly for the 256MB version.

As for sinks I plan on adding my own sooner or later; I doubt they'd be necessary at stock with a fan blowing on them directly.

I don't see why people are so interested in the warranty. Most of us are going to void it in a matter of days.

I don't see how most people would void eVGA or XFX warranties for instance (covering, OCing, aftermarket cooling).

I'm assuming OEM also means it is just the card without any accessories?

I know eVga allows you to use aftermarket coolers without voiding the warranty. Maybe XFX as well??

Lol...definitely going to have to disagree with you there, the beauty of this model is it allows you to place aftermarket ramsinks with efficient TIM that are actually going to be worthwhile
You'd have to be a fool to believe not using *quality* ramsinks is better than using them, try it out for me and tell me what kind of overclock you achieve on your vram :p

I havent had any ramsinks on my 8800gt and have the ram clocked at 1900 for a month now

Max overclock and a card dying from lack of ramsinks is two different things. I stated I'd rather have this cooling solution with airflow over the ram as compared to the ram trapped under the stock hsf with the thick thermal pads which I don't think is very effective. That's why I think ramsinks are overrated in reference to a card dying. Has nothing to do with max overclock, and everything to do with the reference cooling solutions ability or inability to really keep the ram cool.

rams usually have their own throughput limits which enable them to run at higher levels than stock, they don't necessarily require rams sinks to keep them cool. Only once that effective clock limit is breached, will we see any sort of instability!!

rams usually have their own throughput limits which enable them to run at higher levels than stock, they don't necessarily require rams sinks to keep them cool. Only once that effective clock limit is breached, will we see any sort of instability!!

That's something I've suspected even though when ramsinks first came out I saw reviews claiming SMALL gains on overclock. At the voltage level supplied by the bios I think you will reach the overclocking wall and not a wall that is determined by the temp.

This was supposed to be a better than reference board. The extra power connectors and 3 stage mosfets. But the other thing was the HDMI/SPDIF audio passthru and jumpers for Vcore adjustment.... but the connector/jumpers are missing on this model.

Oh well, keep waiting.

If you look closely at the photos it does appear to have the vcore adjustment jumper, the HDMI stuff is missing.

If you look closely at the photos it does appear to have the vcore adjustment jumper, the HDMI stuff is missing.

Vcore adjustment would be nice - any results on the web from upping the voltage on this thing?

Well, it's ordered.

I guess I'll grab a pack of ramsinks eventually, but can anyone tell how many are necessary?

From the shots on NCIX, I counted 4+4, (4 Mosfets, 4 RAM chips?) which I'm not sure is entirely accurate.

Confirmation?

I think there are 8 ram chips.

I can only find one review of the card and they review the one that has the HDMI stuff onboard.. I ordered one yesterday so i guess ill have to find out myself whether the vcore adjustment helps or just kills the card or something :D

Ok, I've found six now. So eight makes sense. I guess I'll need 12 ramsinks then, eh? (4 MOSFETs, 8 RAM chips).

Damn. They're sold in multiples of 8 :(

Any suggestions for best purchase of Ramsinks would be? I'm assuming standard copper finned would do, but I haven't dealt with ramsinks or anything really for around five years.

Ok, I've found six now. So eight makes sense. I guess I'll need 12 ramsinks then, eh? (4 MOSFETs, 8 RAM chips).

Damn. They're sold in multiples of 8 :(

Any suggestions for best purchase of Ramsinks would be? I'm assuming standard copper finned would do, but I haven't dealt with ramsinks or anything really for around five years.

Swiftech MC14 or Enzotech ram sinks. Performance-pcs has both and Enzotech is a little cheaper although they look to be identical. You can also pick up individual Microcool sinks from them for the mosfets, but they are aluminum.

I guess most of you guys didn't read the comments, but it was said to be the wrong picture and be the 256MB card pictured and not the 512mb card advertised for sale.

I guess most of you guys didn't read the comments, but it was said to be the wrong picture and be the 256MB card pictured and not the 512mb card advertised for sale.

Uh....no.

Per NCIX:
[
NCIX Forum Admin: This is the correct photo, as it was taken by our staff this afternoon from inventory. We expected a stock cooler...

go figure...
]

Swiftech MC14 or Enzotech ram sinks. Performance-pcs has both and Enzotech is a little cheaper although they look to be identical. You can also pick up individual Microcool sinks from them for the mosfets, but they are aluminum.

Hm...so different heatsinks on the mosfet than the ram? Er, why? Just that you can buy them individually or what?

I guess I'll probably try a set each of the low- and high-profile Enzotechs. (I'm a little uncertain about the high-profiles [or even the low profiles for that matter] fitting under the normal GPU heatsink on the ram chips...) I'll order _after_ I measure though.

In the same thread a reply from NCIX:

"This is the correct photo, as it was taken by our staff this afternoon from inventory. We expected a stock cooler...

go figure..."

Edit
Doh beaten to the post, oh well heres a review of a similar model, i think its probably the same except for the HDMI port

http://en.hardspell.com/doc/showcont.asp?news_id=1900

pretty good deal, for the money saved by already having a decent stock heatsink it makes the deal even sweeter. just get some aftermarket ramsinks and you guys should be good to go, just too bad it isnt the hdmi version that would be real sweet.

Since I already have a DVI->HDMI cable (HDMI-input monitor), I really don't care about HDMI-out. Actually, I prefer Dual-DVI.

But, I guess it might be preferable for some people. Occasionally, while the moon is blue.

Since I already have a DVI->HDMI cable (HDMI-input monitor), I really don't care about HDMI-out. Actually, I prefer Dual-DVI.

But, I guess it might be preferable for some people. Occasionally, while the moon is blue.

im not sure if this is the case with the hdmi version of this card but i think with a direct hdmi port you would be able to transfer sound and picture through the card oppose to a adapter where it would only be picture since dvi ports cant carry sound. i don't think any nvidia cards are capable of doing this but if im not mistaken some of ati's cards can transfer sound and picture through the video card via direct hdmi output.

Remember two months ago when everyone swore these cards would be released in the $239 range.... now that one is finally the price we were expecting at launch, we call it "scalding"... Not a bad find, considering how things are going, but I'ma keep waiting before using any 88gt cards in my builds.

Hm...so different heatsinks on the mosfet than the ram? Er, why? Just that you can buy them individually or what?

I guess I'll probably try a set each of the low- and high-profile Enzotechs. (I'm a little uncertain about the high-profiles [or even the low profiles for that matter] fitting under the normal GPU heatsink on the ram chips...) I'll order _after_ I measure though.

Yeah just so you can get them individually instead of having some leftover and paying more by buying a second set for the mosfets.

Seriously considered it but if there is a problem with these cards it will be a pain to RMA.

Yeah just so you can get them individually instead of having some leftover and paying more by buying a second set for the mosfets.

Eh, I need some spare anyway. I'm sure I'll find some use for them. Perhaps 3-5W LED sinks or something on a motherboard. But thanks.

Remember two months ago when everyone swore these cards would be released in the $239 range.... now that one is finally the price we were expecting at launch, we call it "scalding"... Not a bad find, considering how things are going, but I'ma keep waiting before using any 88gt cards in my builds.

I know that feeling, except winter break is approaching rather quickly and I'd like to be able to play some games after my 7900GT bit the dust.

Originally, I'd thought the gouging would end in a couple of weeks, but it just got worse. I don't think we'll see much of a change before January and after that I won't have much time to game.

Seriously considered it but if there is a problem with these cards it will be a pain to RMA.

u got 25 days after receiving it to test it. with a video card , especially when u put it thru the paces with benchmarking and overclocking im sure u will weed out any issues in 25 days. my experience is, if it doesn't break down in a month, it wont in a year.

if u want those life time warranties... i dunno bout u , but i upgrade every year.

resell value? again , u can pay more to buy something for resell value like evga then.

u get what u pay for right?

If my MSI 8800GT doesn't ship from Dell anytime soon, I'll be canceling and getting this. Never had a problem with a video card dieing on me....I hope the time won't come, especially with this one!

If my MSI 8800GT doesn't ship from Dell anytime soon, I'll be canceling and getting this. Never had a problem with a video card dieing on me....I hope the time won't come, especially with this one!

with the number of people waiting in back order, and u not knowing how far u are in line? i'd cancel.

my guess is you wont see your card til after christmas

Back