Scariest problem I've had

PigCorpse

[H]ard|Gawd
Okay, so right when I got home, I naturally turned on my computer and walked away, expecting to see it booted. Instead, after posting and that big table of hardware info comes up, it says 'DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER" or something like that. So I was freaked out. I reboot, this time, it takes forever to detect the IDE drives. I could press Del for BIOS setup and all that, but I had to wait almost a minute. I go into BIOS and basically, none of the IDE drives were detected. I cleared the CMOS, didn't help. So I unplugged both IDE cables and it didn't hang when detecting the IDE drives but it said something about a CMOS checksum error and that it was now in safe mode. I went into the BIOS, made all my settings, and reconnected the cables and it was fine.

Anyone know why this happened?

CMOS checksum error usually means your CMOS battery is dying. You can pick a new one up at a place like Batteries Plus or even Walgreens.

However, the error that demands a system disk be inserted usually indicates the failure to find an operating system. Was the message more like "operating system not found"?

The cmos battery may be dying. HDD auto detect can sometimes be problematic too. Back in the day we used to circumvent this by manually setting the HDD parameters.

Well, I think the reason why it asked for a system disk was that the IDE drives weren't detected, thus, no OS.

I'll see if I can get a new battery.

Back