Sceptre x22wg-Gamer 22" LCD

Do yourself a favor and get a different monitor. You will thank me in the long run. I am willing to bet that you will return this monitor before it is six months old. Get a better brand. I am returning mine for the Samsung.

I just got this monitor in the mail today. I will be the first to say that I'm not an expert on monitors and have no clue what to look for in terms of flaws, but I have to say that so far this monitor looks amazing. I can see what people mean when they say the colors are off, but I'm sure that can be fixed with a tweaking and stuff.

Just wanted to say that this is well worth the $300 that I've spent.

Now this leads me to ask...how are you guys connecting your xbox360s to this? A component to dvi adapter?

All you have to do is a get the VGA adapter. No DVI is involved, its all with VGA.

I just got this monitor in the mail today. I will be the first to say that I'm not an expert on monitors and have no clue what to look for in terms of flaws, but I have to say that so far this monitor looks amazing. I can see what people mean when they say the colors are off, but I'm sure that can be fixed with a tweaking and stuff.

Now this leads me to ask...how are you guys connecting your xbox360s to this? A component to dvi adapter?

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-de-49-en-70-16s8.html

with rca input, buy apater for pc speakers.

http://www.cablegalaxy.com/showroom/4029.cfm

Official microsoft vga cable is like 40 dollars! I bought that 6 dollar offbrand one and it works perfectly, i've had no problems at all with it

looks great... no dead pixels

I have it hooked up dvi using my new 8800gtx. My previous setup, with the blurry picture, was VGA out from a Mobility Radeon 9600 (HP nc6000 laptop).

Trying two different VGA cables, I came to the conclusion, that the problem is either in the VGA connector for the Sceptre. It is a blurrier picture, at least with the VGA out of the Mobility Radeon 9600.

When I tried the same cable into the Viewsonic vx2235wm, it was much clearer. I think the digital to analog converter in the Sceptre is not as good as in the Viewsonic.

BUT... using DVI... the picture is crystal clear.

I am keeping the Sceptre and returning the Viewsonic... The HDMI, thin bezel, brighter screen, better contrast, and switchable input is too much to pass up, even if the VGA to digital converter built into the unit is not as good as Viewsonics.

I'll keep y'all posted. :D

hey azn fury....dont get the 360 vga adaptor, have tried it and was dissappointed. I went with this adaptor and couldn't be any happier. supports 1080p as well.
http://www.x2vga.com/

Hi Guys,

In the OSD menu, the "format" option is locked, i cant get into it to change my resolution. Anyone kno why its not letting me? Currently I am running my xbox via Neoya VGA converter to this monitor. http://www.x2vga.com/

What is happening right now is if i set this monitor to native, it gives me a crystal clear picture but is only about 5" by 7" in the middle of the screen. I understand that xbox only carries a 480p signal, but there has to be a way to this image to fit screen. If i put it on aspect its not nearly as clear. can anyone help??? thanks

anyone have any input on my previous question????

I read through a bit of this thread, and found that this monitor can downscale 1080p/i signals and do 1:1 mapping, but can this monitor downscale 1080 or upscale signals to fit the width of the screen while still keeping the the 16:9 aspect? I'm considering this monitor as a possible screen to play 360 on.

Xbox 360 via MS VGA cable looks fantastic on this monitor. I have the 360 set to 1920 x 1080 and it looks fine (besides a very thin black bar at the bottom of the screen). But absolutely no noticeable stretching at all. If anyone has any questions about the 360 on the x22wg-Gamer or would like me to upload pics to check out the aspect ratio let me know.

Xbox 360 via MS VGA cable looks fantastic on this monitor. I have the 360 set to 1920 x 1080 and it looks fine (besides a very thin black bar at the bottom of the screen). But absolutely no noticeable stretching at all. If anyone has any questions about the 360 on the x22wg-Gamer or would like me to upload pics to check out the aspect ratio let me know.

Hey there...

It would be awesome if you could take some screenshots. I don't know if this is possible, though. I only have an Xbox1, but am trying to figure out the best way to hook it up to the x22wg - vdigi? x2vga2? ... or something else? :confused:

Yes please. I ordered this monitor and awaiting for it to arrive. I am also thinking about getting an 360 later and hooking it up to this.

Hey there...

It would be awesome if you could take some screenshots. I don't know if this is possible, though. I only have an Xbox1, but am trying to figure out the best way to hook it up to the x22wg - vdigi? x2vga2? ... or something else? :confused:

IF you go back a page i posted a link to a very cheap vga cable for the 360 that works just as good as the expensive ones.

Ok, uploaded a few that I think will show the aspect ratio well enough.

Two of the dashboard:

...And one of Gears:

Dont mind the quality of the pics, looks much cleaner/sharper/better in person. Plus my camera's not that great. As you can see there's a thin black bar at the bottom of the screen when scaled to 1920 x 1080 res. I hardly even notice it in game. And there's no noticeable stretching whatsoever. Looks great to me on this monitor.:)

I would have thought that black bar would be bigger. 16:9 aspect at 1680 wide would be 945 high, so the black bar would be 105 pixels high, does it look that big in person?

Has anyone had any problem w/ the dvi connection? Read many complaints on the DVI port giving out after a few weeks os use.

Has anyone else had problems with horrible blacks/grays on this monitor? Certain shades of gray on my screen look amazingly grainy and distorted. In fact, it looks like the screen is fuzzy, kind of like when you have that "snow" effect with bad TV reception. It's difficult to explain exactly. I have fiddled with the display settings for hours, and the only way to make the fuzziness somewhat unnoticeable is to set the brightness way too high so blacks look like gray. In the Nokia Monitor Test app, on the brightness tests, you can't even see the 1%, 2%, and 3% boxes.

My previous monitor was a 19" BenQ FP91G and it looked MUCH better than this Sceptre. This thing is so bad that I wonder if it's defective.

I have had to RMA two of these monitors back to Newegg due to the DVI port going bad on me. Not very good at all.

I was wondering, I am about to order this monitor and do you only get the HDCP from the HDMI port or can you get that from the DVI port as well. I was wanting to use the DVI for my PC with Vista and my 8800GTS and the HDMI with a PS3.

Edit: OK, sorry I just finished going thru this thread and answered my own question.

hey all - i've searched and searched and can't find the answer anywhere, so i'm hoping y'all can help. i've got the sceptre 22" gamer, and was assuming the usb ports should work out of the box (but they don't). monitor's been set up for weeks now, working great and looks awesome, but i'm not getting anything from the usb ports. were there some drivers somewhere i missed??

help - and thanks in advance!

hey all - i've searched and searched and can't find the answer anywhere, so i'm hoping y'all can help. i've got the sceptre 22" gamer, and was assuming the usb ports should work out of the box (but they don't). monitor's been set up for weeks now, working great and looks awesome, but i'm not getting anything from the usb ports. were there some drivers somewhere i missed?? help - and thanks in advance!
The USB signals do not run through your HDMI, DVI or VGA connection. The USB ports on the Sceptre first need to be hooked up to your computer to work via a USB cable. The Sceptre just acts as a port replicator the way some USB keyboards have multiple USB ports on them. This is a real minor feature on the Sceptre in my mind, although it can remedy some cable clutter on the computer desk.

I have had to RMA two of these monitors back to Newegg due to the DVI port going bad on me. Not very good at all.

same here... good think i got it at costco :) i went back in and picked up the viewsonic 22in display

dvi port took a shit :(

I have read through a lot of this thread but not all. I am looking at this monitor. Right now I have a viewsonci 2030b and I was not happy with it. The picture looked fine but there was an issue with the edid data and my nvidia card and I couldn't see anything on the screen until windows started. That meant I had to use a different monitor to get into the bios with until I found a program that let me hack the edid. Now I am stifled about going with another VS monitor and was looking at either this one or the KDS K-22MDWB

I have a X22 Gamer that I play PS3 via HDMI. This works very well. I also have my Dell D620 laptop in a docking station that uses DVI to attach to the monitor. This also works very well. However when I use a VGA the monitor is washed out and slightly blurry. Is there any fix out there for this? I mainly want to attach two monitors to the docking station, one via DVI and one via VGA.

OK, I got mine today. I didn't have much time to play with it before work. I had just enough time to hook it up to my pc thru the DVI cable (DVI to HDMI cable coming in second shipment) and it worked. I booted windows and played the spider-man 3 trailer in quicktime. I did notice the backlight bleed at the top and bottom and I already knew about the poor viewing angles. I let my screensaver come on and didn't notice dead or stuck pixels (mostly a black screen). For the few minutes I tested it I was happy but after this weekend I will give my full opinions about it.

I had been watching HDTV through the HDMI port and the other day it just blacked out on me. Happen to any of you guys?

Got mines today. Extremely sastified. HDMI 1080p works wonderfully with my PS3. Saw a The Wild on it and it was wonderful. The DVI connection works, and hopefully it stays that way. There was no dead pixel as far as I can tell.

The only bad thing which I've found was the bleeding. LOL this thing is the master of it. It has a Halo effect, it is extremly bad. The upper and lower part is just to much when the screen is black. I really don't care, but some people are picky and should be warn.

Got mines today. Extremely sastified. HDMI 1080p works wonderfully with my PS3. Saw a The Wild on it and it was wonderful. The DVI connection works, and hopefully it stays that way. There was no dead pixel as far as I can tell.

The only bad thing which I've found was the bleeding. LOL this thing is the master of it. It has a Halo effect, it is extremly bad. The upper and lower part is just to much when the screen is black. I really don't care, but some people are picky and should be warn.
It is bad at stock settings, but you can lower your black level and lamp to 0 to cancel out the bleeding effects.

I also just purchased this monitor. I am connected to my computer through DVI and I am connected to my PS3 via HDMI. I was just wondering the best settings for the monitor for the connections. I am having a hard time getting the PS3 settings right so if people could toss up there configurations I would greatly appreciate it.

I have heard that the dvi port go out on these monitors. And i have had one for a week or so and i was wondering if i should rma this back and get a benQ with hdmi on it. I'm not sure but i don't want to keep sending it back to the company if it does break.

Thanks

Well i decided to send mine back to newegg and get the benQ FP222WH monitor because i didnt want to keep sending the Sceptre one back to be fixed.

Mine broke yesterday. All of a sudden I was getting red/green distortions in the picture. I tried it on another PC, and used another DVI cable with no improvement. It's being sent back to Newegg for replacement tomorrow.

Mine went back to CostCo today. I left for the weekend, leaving my computer on during this time. Came home today to a blank screen. Played with it a bit and noticed the DVI port no longer worked. VGA worked just fine both from my desktop and laptop.

I'll order another one to try again. Luckily the delivery time for CostCo in Southern California is only a few days.

I'll let you know how it turns out. That one was otherwise working perfect. No dead pixels, etc.

Oh well,
Tim

So how does DVI look compared to VGA? I plan on using my ps3 and my computer on it, but I'd rather not use DVI if it's going to die on me. :x

Ok, uploaded a few that I think will show the aspect ratio well enough.

Two of the dashboard:

...And one of Gears:

What connection are you using? That's definitely not HDMI. I'm using HDMI with my PS3 and there are no black bars, so it's a compressed (squeezed) image and it's fucking pissing me off!

Has anyone else had problems with horrible blacks/grays on this monitor? Certain shades of gray on my screen look amazingly grainy and distorted. In fact, it looks like the screen is fuzzy, kind of like when you have that "snow" effect with bad TV reception. It's difficult to explain exactly. I have fiddled with the display settings for hours, and the only way to make the fuzziness somewhat unnoticeable is to set the brightness way too high so blacks look like gray. In the Nokia Monitor Test app, on the brightness tests, you can't even see the 1%, 2%, and 3% boxes.
I get this as well with a particular gray on a moving image. Rainbow Six Vegas is a perfect example. It's a complete mess. However, it's flawless everywhere else.

Nope, that's definitely not HDMI. That's the Xbox 360 in those pics, there's no HDMI connector on the 360...yet.;)

I have the 360 hooked up to my monitor through Microsoft's VGA cable at 1920 x 1080 resolution and it looks fantastic. No noticeable stretching that I can see.

So the Sceptre monitor can compress through VGA as well to fit 1080 pictures?

I'm going to attempt this with my PS3. I'd rather have a lesser quality connection (VGA) than have a stretched picture (HDMI).

Thanks.

*NOTE*
Anyone using the Sceptre x22wg-Gamer with a VGA port, please refute or confirm this experience.
*END NOTE*

The VGA decoder (built into the Sceptre itself) is not very good. My experience with VGA is terrible. However, now that I am using DVI, it looks crystal clear, bright, and the colors look great :D

If you will be connecting via VGA, go with another brand ... Viewsonic looked great when I was using VGA-out from my laptop, but the Sceptre did not.

my 2 cents

BTW: all you guys talking about connecting your PS3 to via HDMI are making me FLIPPIN' JEALOUS! I may cave and get the PS3 (but gotta wait for better game support!)

*NOTE*
Anyone using the Sceptre x22wg-Gamer with a VGA port, please refute or confirm this experience.
*END NOTE*

The VGA decoder (built into the Sceptre itself) is not very good. My experience with VGA is terrible. However, now that I am using DVI, it looks crystal clear, bright, and the colors look great :D

If you will be connecting via VGA, go with another brand ... Viewsonic looked great when I was using VGA-out from my laptop, but the Sceptre did not.

my 2 cents

BTW: all you guys talking about connecting your PS3 to via HDMI are making me FLIPPIN' JEALOUS! I may cave and get the PS3 (but gotta wait for better game support!)
Thanks for the info. I guess I'll go DVI and hope I don't get bad luck like some of the guys here. And yeah, not to rub it in, but I'm looking forward to trying the ps3 out on this monitor. :cool:

Back