School Me In Laptops.

harsaphes

Supreme [H]ardness
Morning. I'm selling my MBP and going Windows. Gaming and browsing ect. I've looked at all the usual suspects but what I am uniformed about is the GPU.

Some units have a 980M and some jump to a 1060. Obviously a 1060 is more powerful but do I really need that?

I don't need overkill I just need to make the right decision.

Thanks.

We need to know what you are doing. A 710 is overkill if all you're doing is web browsing or office work.

Also, most laptops are terrible. They are over priced, under-engineered batteries with small mainboards attached; built like hand grenades that may last 2 years if you are lucky. They are not designed to be serviced, so often times a simple problem means full replacement.

I used to work both as a technician and an account manager for a major OEM and I would never EVER buy any laptop seeing how little effort is put into manufacturing and supporting them.

But that's just me.

Well OK then. I mean this is the Mobile Computing Forum right? Someone here must use a laptop for gaming/work.:)

For my work computer I actually have a Lenovo P50 fully loaded. Works great for my needs, I decided to move away from my old work setup (S30 Workstaiton + T460s Laptop) to have just one system. At home after I got a nice tax bill to pay I decided to consolidate my systems and sell off my desktop and snagged an Alienware 15R3, I went ahead and put in my 1080ti I had into an alienware graphics amp and I am pretty happy with the setup. More then likely down the road I will probably build another desktop but will wait for the new stuff both Intel and AMD should have by the end of the year.

Back to my original question...Am I going to be happy gaming/browsing with a 980M?

Back to my original question...Am I going to be happy gaming/browsing with a 980M?

You should, what kind of laptop are you looking for? Is size a factor? What kind of games do you plan to play?

14 or 15 inch...Civilization,Tomb raider and such.

A 980m should be just fine. I assume 1920x 1080? You probably will find more selections with a 1060 right now however and if you wanted something thinner/lighter I would go that route.

Get the best machine you can afford.

You & the games that you play will grow.

If you can afford the lappy w/ the 1060 - do it.

You will not regret getting the best box you can afford vs. always regretting a weak ass box.

Ok guys...MSI,Razer or Dell/Alienware...about a 2000 budget. Could go to 2300ish....or Maingear?

Last edited:
I just bought my son a new laptop for school, and what we did was go to Bestbuy and play with a few of them to get a feel for the newer laptops. The touch screens, 2-n-1's, ultrabooks and so on. We eventually settled on a Lenovo due to the look and feel combined with the specs. Now this is mainly a school laptop for a 20 year old mechanical engineering student, but also a PC gamer that has a decent gaming PC. So the Lenovo is the thin type with only a 940m running the 1920x1080 15" screen and it seems to run things just fine. Civ 6, Overwatch, etc all run fine. The games that do not appear to run fine are like GTA5, some of those weird ass total war games and some others, which he typically plays on his PC. So go to a store and make sure you like the touch/feel of the laptop. We spent about a K with the added 3 year accidental damage thingy. It is an i5, 8Gb, 256 GB SSD, 940m, blah blah blah...

I'm not a laptop gamer, but I've considered it & read about 2 premium brands suggested in another thread & dismissed the idea due to cost.

I don't think I would go with any of those 3 brands personally.

Did you search this topic on this forum before posting?

I did 2 simple web searches & still can't find the brand that I'm trying to remember listed...

mobile gaming laptop at DuckDuckGo

customizable gaming laptops at DuckDuckGo

The Best Gaming Laptops of 2017 | PCMag.com

Really? Those three companies are highly rated and well regarded for laptops. Why would you not buy from them? And the link you posted lists the Razer as their first choice.

Previously, I said: I'm not a laptop gamer, but I've considered it ~ ~ dismissed the idea due to cost.

I was just throwing you some search links in case you hadn't done much research...
- PC mag is a consumer rag, not an enthusiast site... Razor is probably an advertiser w/ them.

Did you look @ the links for Sager & Xotic?

Last time I looked @ this, Sager & one other were the only truly up-gradable laptops (never heard of XOTIC 'till today).
ie: start w/ 980 vid card & change to 1080 later (hypothetical)

Morning. I'm selling my MBP and going Windows. Gaming and browsing ect. I've looked at all the usual suspects but what I am uniformed about is the GPU.

Some units have a 980M and some jump to a 1060. Obviously a 1060 is more powerful but do I really need that?

I don't need overkill I just need to make the right decision.

Thanks.

The GTX 980m and GTX 1060 6GB (laptop) offer roughly the same performance, give or take ~5FPS in games. The GTX 1060 3GB (laptop) slides in roughly in-between a GTX 970m and a GTX 980m.

The website I'd recommend checking out for detailed breakdowns and performance specs/info on gaming laptops, especially their GPUs, is this one: https://www.notebookcheck.net/

Especially this section: https://www.notebookcheck.net/Benchmarks-Tech.123.0.html

Laptop GTX 1070/1080 are practically the same in gaming performance as their desktop counterparts.

If you can deal with open box, this is (by far) the cheapest deal on a gaming laptop with a GTX 1070: https://slickdeals.net/f/10121444-a...en-box-ymmv?src=SiteSearchV2_SearchBarV2Algo1

Back