screen goes blank with "No Signal" showing, bad card?

infamus

Gawd
every once in a while while playing some games, mainly Warhammer40k (the RTS not the online one) and COD4 the screen will go blank and the monitor will say no signal but the PC stays on and doesnt freeze, then other times the PC will freeze and some vertical lines with all mixed matched colors show up. are either my video cards going bad, or is this a software problem.

specs below

xp pro 32bit
8800gts 512 in SLI
e6750 cpu
680i sli board

I have the same issue with a gtx 260 and a gtx 280, can't figure it out. No freezing though.. just video signal drops.. then comes back on after a couple seconds.. does this over and over.

I doubt it's a software problem. Try one card at a time to figure out if one of them is dying.

And doox00, your problem could very well be a cable issue since it happens for both cards and the signal gets back. Try switching to VGA or simply try another cable.

I have the same issue with the gts 512 in my sig. I'm not sure if it's a thermal issue or what. at first I noticed it playing wow. I thought it was only wow. then when I quit playing wow. now I'm getting it in ETQW.

at first what it was doing was giving me a solid color and locking up. grey/pink/purple or just plain blank (no video).

I talked to EVGA they told me to up the fan speed but it's happened after that soooo Idunno. I've been pondering RMAing it but I'm not certain that what I will get back will be any better

I doubt it's a software problem. Try one card at a time to figure out if one of them is dying.

And doox00, your problem could very well be a cable issue since it happens for both cards and the signal gets back. Try switching to VGA or simply try another cable.

Not a cable since it works with 4 other video cards, 8800gt, 8800gts 640, 8800gts g92 and a 4870x2. Plus I did try another cable and another power supply, same results.

I had a similar problem in the past - mine was due to the card not being properly seated in the PCI-Express slot. You could try removing them and wiping the connectors (be careful of ESD, though).

I had a similar problem in the past - mine was due to the card not being properly seated in the PCI-Express slot. You could try removing them and wiping the connectors (be careful of ESD, though).

It locks in with my gigabyte motherboard. and I have video until the drivers are loaded. I have swapped out cards like 20 times now also.. always producing the same results with the gtx 2x0 cards. At the desktop like now its been fine with the gtx 260, once I load a game though is starts going out constantly. the gtx 280 went out even at the desktop over and over, just got worse in games. I have swapped out power supplies also, same results.

I Had this problem.. AND I FIXED IT!

Re-install the proper drivers for your monitor.

Ensure that if you have any NVIDIA/ATI drivers or even RivaTuner, that the EDID is properly set and that the HORIZONAL and VERTICAL REFRESH RATES are REPORTED CORRECTLY PER THE MANUFACTURER!

Your screen may be shutting off to protect itself. Properly reported EDID's and Refresh Rates to the Graphics Card FIXED THE PROBLEM!

Ensure that if you have any NVIDIA/ATI drivers or even RivaTuner, that the EDID is properly set and that the HORIZONAL and VERTICAL REFRESH RATES are REPORTED CORRECTLY PER THE MANUFACTURER!

Your screen may be shutting off to protect itself. Properly reported EDID's and Refresh Rates to the Graphics Card FIXED THE PROBLEM!

That is a very interesting thing to say, because the BenQ FP241W monitor had infamous blackout issues which mystified everyone including BenQ, except for one person who said something like what you just said. Unfortunately, he was so vague about what this means that nobody could figure out how to fix the problem.

For example, I haven't the foggiest notion what an "EDID" is. And probably 99 out of 100 readers even in this forum probably wont have any notion how to check and fix their refresh rates. I have a VAGUE idea of where it is in the nVidia Control Panel but I'm not sure I could do it properly if I had to.

Edit: also, OP I notice your monitor is a Soyo 24". If it's the $hitty monitor I think it is, it is probably your monitor going bad. It was that cheap for a reason...

So, no answer from Eldamus? There are probably thousands of users wanting to know how to do what you did.

ok well I rolled back the drivers from beta to the official released one. screen stopped turning off but now after some time in a game the screen will flash to giant pixel groups and freeze the computer. I am sure this problem is the video card so I am starting the RMA process with XFX.

Originally posted by evilasofa:
That is a very interesting thing to say, because the BenQ FP241W monitor had infamous blackout issues which mystified everyone including BenQ, except for one person who said something like what you just said. Unfortunately, he was so vague about what this means that nobody could figure out how to fix the problem.

For example, I haven't the foggiest notion what an "EDID" is. And probably 99 out of 100 readers even in this forum probably wont have any notion how to check and fix their refresh rates. I have a VAGUE idea of where it is in the nVidia Control Panel but I'm not sure I could do it properly if I had to.

I'm a little late.

I forgot about this thread until I googled my username. Lol

Open up Rivatuner and make sure the driver for your monitor is configuring the horizontal and vertical refresh rates to the specifications that your *specific* monitor has. You can edit them manually if you have to, in Rivatuner.

I assumed we were on a fairly hardcore computer hardware site, and that the vast majority of users have the capability of googling something as easy as "Rivatuner" and "EDID monitor". Hell even with Linux, EDID is common terminology.

But no biggie. Good luck!

Back