Scythe Ninja 4 CPU Cooler Review

HardOCP News

[H] News
The crew at NikKTech took the Scythe Ninja 4 CPU cooler around the block a few times to see what it was made of.

So the new Ninja 4 CPU cooler is paired with a GlideStream 120 PWM fan that features a build-in manual speed controller and features a new T-M.A.P.S symmetrical square fin design supported by six 6mm nickel-plated all-copper heatpipes and an nickel plated all-copper base.

seems like good temps for an inexpensive cooler. I don't like the PWN switch. I am sure someone thinks its a good idea, but with the on board fan controls becoming so much more robust I don't see the point.
I wish they had shown some pictures of it installed to visually see clearance of RAM and PCIE-e slots

Whoa dude, D15-like performance for half the price? I'll keep this in mind for a new build...

With Scythe's revamped mounting system, a few of their offerings provide cheaper alternative to Noctua's products without sacrificing quality. The Kotetsu is a great alternative to the U12S, for example.

With Scythe's revamped mounting system, a few of their offerings provide cheaper alternative to Noctua's products without sacrificing quality. The Kotetsu is a great alternative to the U12S, for example.

The only thing I wonder about is the quality of the fan for long term use, but at least that can be replaced

Whoa dude, D15-like performance for half the price? I'll keep this in mind for a new build...

The price is very attractive, but it's not the first tower cooler to match the Noctua D15 for much less $... Phanteks' PH-TC14_PE has been going for $65 after MIR and it's pretty even with both, possibly even quieter. (I bought one ands the rebate came within a month FWIW, I was surprised)

The Ninja 4 might be hitting a new value high tho, AFAIK all the best coolers at around $50 were a small step down (and usually not dual towers, stuff like the TR TRUE Spirit 140 Rev B etc). OTOH I think it's not the best as far as RAM compatibility...

That's something Phanteks/Noctus nailed on their latest models. I think SPCR has reviewed all the latest gen Scythe coolers btw, they've got great comparisons vs others. They actually have the Ninja 4 slightly beating the D15 at the same noise levels. That's something that's often overlooked...

Not everything with fugly brown fans is the quietest in it's field, IIRC the Noctua PWM fans actually spin a little faster/louder than some of it's direct competitors'.

Last edited:
The price is very attractive, but it's not the first tower cooler to match the Noctua D15 for much less $... Phanteks' PH-TC14_PE has been going for $65 after MIR and it's pretty even with both, possibly even quieter. (I bought one ands the rebate came within a month FWIW, I was surprised)

The Ninja 4 might be hitting a new value high tho, AFAIK all the best coolers at around $50 were a small step down (and usually not dual towers, stuff like the TR TRUE Spirit 140 Rev B etc). OTOH I think it's not the best as far as RAM compatibility...

That's something Phanteks/Noctus nailed on their latest models. I think SPCR has reviewed all the latest gen Scythe coolers btw, they've got great comparisons vs others. They actually have the Ninja 4 slightly beating the D15 at the same noise levels. That's something that's often overlooked...

Not everything with fugly brown fans is the quietest in it's field, IIRC the Noctua PWM fans actually spin a little faster/louder than some of it's direct competitors'.

Actually, the NF-A15 fans included with the NH-D15 and U14S are tuned to 1500rpm speed. The ones you can buy separately are 1200rpm max, so there is truth to this.

Back