Scythe Ninja getting Hot

Hawk

Gawd
I bought a Scythe Ninja 2 weeks ago because the stock HSF was load and well, stock. It kinda barely fits into my case but does and my CPU is a [email protected]@1.5V and it runs under load at about 57C which is to hot for my liking. And 39C Idle. I currently have the fan at the front blowing out and the fan at the back for intake but since it's a vantec stealth 80mm and no fan on the HSF I was told I should get a 120mm fan for the HSF and change the fans for the airflow so both blow in.

The stock fan is 2x faster but 2x more noisy. So what's the best solution to get the temps down.

My system is:

-A8N-SLI Vanilla
-Galaxy 6800GS 256mb@500/1360
[email protected]@1.5V
-Enermax 535W Whisper II
-Coolermaster Centurion 1
-1x Vantec Stealth 80mm fan + 1x Stock fan
-Western Digital 40gb Cavilair (About 5 years old and ran outta money when buying computer and plan on getting a samsung HDD)

So anyone help me out for the best cooling sytem with fans.

P.S. Should I just open the side of the case and let it cool that way or is it kinda unsafe?

Front case fan should blow in, back case fan should blow out, 120mm fan on the Scythe should blow to the back case fan that is blowing out.

You get 57C without the 120mm fan on the heatsink? or with it?

I agree with above, and you can take the side off if you want. The only thing you'd have to worry about is dropping things that might hit components inside the computer, or if you have pets/little kids...

I don't have a 120mm fan :D So i'll change the fans and see the outcome :)

Hawk said:
I don't have a 120mm fan :D So i'll change the fans and see the outcome :)

So there is no fan on teh heatsink? You should get one, they make really quiet ones.

You shouldn't run the ninja passivly on overclocked processors. It can handle processors at stock voltage fine, but at 1.5v you're really pushing it...

You need to pick up a 120mm fan for it.

Well do. After school tommorow i'll buy one :) So the layout should be like this:

< < <

All blowing towards the back?

The Vantec fan is 2050rpm. Is that enough for a case fan or a CPU fan?

Yes it is, I think it's quiet though. Compared to what I used to have with my old computer it's invisible :D Never get a dell comp :p

EDIT: Nowhere in New Zealand sells Panaflow fans so that tpye of fan is outta the question... :(

120mm Yate Loons and Nexuses (Nexii?) seem to be highly recommended for their noise/CFM ratio as well.

Well i posted the reply just before I left and just got back and compared a Scythe 120mm fan to a Vantec Stealth 120mm and the Scythe one was quieter and 50% cheaper :D Anyway the vantec one was quiet but made a small high pich sound. even though I bet I wouldn't be able to hear it, the cheaper the better :D

Another question, this time about a VGA cooler. Does the Arctic Cooling NV Silencer 5, Geforce 6800 series cooler act better than a stock 6800GS cooler and alot quieter? Because it says . sone and I don't know how loud the 6800GS card cooler is.

Thanks!

yeah, nv silencers are good. I'm using one on my 7800GT. What's good about it is it pushes the hot air out of the computer, not back into the computer so it could also help prevent CPU from overheating.

and also the stock 7800GT fan was pretty loud.. I would have the computer running, then stick my finger in the fan to stop it, and it would almost be completely silent. NV silencer is not that loud.

I just installed a NV Silencer on my 6800GS yesterday. It is MUCH MUCH quieter than the stock fan. It took me 30 minutes because the instructions were complete shit to a newb like me. You dont need that bracket for the 6000 series.

Now that the Silencer is on my vid card, the stock HSF on the 3200+ Venice is the loudest part so im ordering the Scythe w/ 120mm fan from SVC.

Well after a shit load of frustration and bending the case and having to unbend it with my trusty wrench :D (hint to BF2 :D) Anyway the great news is that the CPU runs 10C cooler!!! from 40C to 45C idle it's now 25C idle!!! I'm going to run 3DMark06 but before that I need to plug the Video cards cable in because I forgot :D

Now i jsut need a new 80mm fan to replace the stock fan and get a new VGA cooler and it's perfect!!

Back