SD37P2: RAM Discrepancy

Fionavar

Weaksauce
I have just pre-ordered a SD37P2 and the retailer is set to test the system. The question I have is that the config @ Shuttle has it with DDR 800 (PC2-6400) and my provider cannot run it stable with that RAM with his engineering sample ... so I called Shuttle’s US Tech Support and they told me that though they are pairing their systems with DDR @ 800 mhz they are clocking it down to 667! So I asked, does this mean they are going to release a BIOS to enable the use (which the Intel chipset natively supports) of the RAM at that speed? He said yes, they are working on a heat issue and hope to release a BIOS upgrade. So ... has anyone else heard this? I am trying to figure out whether to go with 667 or 800 and if this is the case, I’ll go with the 800 and increase once the BIOS is released.

Update: Well here’s an update that is even more interesting: It seems that they have pulled the 800 and repelaced it with the 667 (http://sys.us.shuttle.com/BuildXPC.aspx?id=1180). So does this mean that there will be no support for 800?

Looking at the specifications of the SD37P2, it isn't capable of it:

(4) 240 pin DDR2 DIMM slots
2GB per DIMM (Max 8GB)
Dual-channel DDR2 533/667 support
ECC memory support
--Shuttle

Nor is the 975X chipset:

Support for 667 and 533 MHz DDR2 DIMMs
--Intel, look at their D975XBX Motherboard.

I emailed Shuttle about this before as I was considering it myself; I got this in response:

Dear Sir/Madam:

Thank you choosing Shuttle.

Regarding your concern about SD37P2 issue, please follow the procedure set out below.

It can't use DDR2-800!
The web information is wrong!
We will release our website ASAP!
Please look for this web
http://global.shuttle.com/Product/Barebone/SD37P2-Spec.asp

See this thread for more information.

Thanks oDii. Some of the problems are that this document from Intel illustrates that the SD37P2 is supposed to be able to run DDR 800. As well, the Bad Axe version of the D975XBX makes me wonder if that is what Shuttle is running with - or wanted to. The changes @ Shuttle from 800 to 667 and the Tech Support input of a BIOS in the works does not help my confusion!

As I need to make a decision by early next week - does anyone ultimately have a RAM recommendation for a SD37P2? 667 or 800? Any reason why? I'm grateful for any feedback.

667, because conroes don't benefit much from ddr2-800. unless you want to oc, there really is no need for ddr2-800 w/ a conroe system. there's a review on anandtech that investigates conroe vs am2 ddr2 performance, check it out. you'll notice that there is a noticeable difference between 533 and 667, but not from 667 to 800.

Back