SD37P2-V2 Build, Grr.. BSOD installing OS

hyt3k9

2[H]4U
Well, I got myself a good deal on this one off Anandtech. I was throwing it together, when I started running into problems. The hardware install was a piece of cake.. love these cases! :cool:
The problems started when I tried to install Windows Vista Ultimate. Got BSOD's, Lockups and Black screens with errors saying system files corrupt or missing. Hit the Shuttle FAQ and saw that I may need to upgrade to a higher rev of BIOS. I did some research and concluded that the v211 is the best, and offers more support with my Q6600 with Vista installs. (Specifically addresses some of the install issues I was having)

In the meantime, I decided to dual boot WinXP and Vista together, so I proceeded to install XP and get the updates. All the sudden, out of nowhere, system BSOD on me in the middle of downloading updates. WTF? :confused: I went ahead and searched for a better chipset driver, added my audio and graphics drivers (didn't think this would matter, but was at a loss) and eventually got everything updated. Rebooted a final time with last update, and it BSOD on me again rebooting after an update was applied.

Damn, then it comes up with no problems after that.. I haven't found alot on the web about this particular model I have. I am wanting to hear from folks that own this model and get some information on their experiences. This board as best as I can tell is proprietary, and Shuttle does offer chipset drivers, but you always wonder if they are worth a shit or not. Also, device manager has uncovered an unknown PCI device.. WTF? I have loaded all the drivers, BIOS updates and Toolkits I could find on the website.. there are only 2 PCI-e slots in this case.. there isn't even a regular PCI slot. (Once again, Google failed me on this one as well, came across nothing)

Any tips, info.. unknown updates I can get pointed into the right direction on? I have scoured the web and Shuttle's website, and have uncovered enough information to get me here.. just need enough to finish this build and have a rock stable system. For the record, here is the gear installed.

Q6600
Shuttle 975x Mobo
2GB Ballistix (DDR2 800) is supported in latest BIOS
8800 GTX
74GB Raptor (This stupid thing sounds like a coffee grinder, LOUD as hell in this small case)

Thanks. :eek: (This may seem like I am rambling.. because I am tired, and been working on this thing on and off all day)
--------------------------------------------
Cliffs:
Got a nice used Shuttle SD37P2-V2 barebones off Anandtech
BSOD's installing Vista
Gave up on single booting Vista, decided to go with XP/Vista Dual boot
Now XP install is BSOD'ing
Updated BIOS to 211
Still getting random BSOD's after updates on XP during reboots, have had to use MS help article rebuilding the windows update folder like 3 times now.

Could be a RAM problem.

Download Memtest+ V.170, unzip it, burn the ISO file to a CD, and then boot from it, just like you would do with the XP install CD. Let Memtest+ run for at least three hours on each stick of RAM separately. If you start seeing errors, than your RAM is bad.

Could be a RAM problem.

Download Memtest+ V.170, unzip it, burn the ISO file to a CD, and then boot from it, just like you would do with the XP install CD. Let Memtest+ run for at least three hours on each stick of RAM separately. If you start seeing errors, than your RAM is bad.

Alright, will give that a try.Good thing DDR2 RAM is cheap, if that is it..
:)

UPDATE: Downloaded and ran Memtest 2.01. Pulled all my modules out but 1. RAM did 4 complete passes, no errors. (Ran approx an hour) Now it is still stuck in a rolling BSOD reboot when I try to boot up with that stick with no errors reporting. Can only boot up to Windows XP desktop in safe mode. WTF?

UPDATE: Been running Memtest now on that same stick for 4 hrs.. 12 passes, no errors. Can I assume this stick is good now?

Any other ideas?

Hate to be a pest, but hoping someone can offer something else here, since I am trying to finish this build today. Anything information you can throw my way would be greatly appreciated. :(

EDIT: Now it BSOD's on Safe Mode boot up. :( BSOD right after the Windows Splash screen, followed by quick flashing BSOD (Too fast to read)

The last thing I was trying to do, before this thing took a nose dive was trying to load Direct X9c for Everquest II install. During install of DirectX9c, it got almost installed an threw a "Direct X has not passed the Windows driver compatibility version" or something like that. I read that you can change the digital signing of drivers to "ignore" so I did this. Then it threw a RAM virtual memory low error, so I went into the page file setup and switched it from "custom" to "os controlled" this thing never came back up after that. I know I have a DX10 card, 8800GTX but Everquest uses DX9c not DX10.. so this shouldn't matter.

May be overheating since it is a shuttle.

Try to drop the cpu multi during install and then crank it back up after install.

Find out which the BSOD says. If you can, disable "Automatically restart" under the Startup and Recovery section. To get to that section, right click on "My Computer", select properties, click the "Advanced" tab and you'll see it there. Click the settings button under Startup and Recovery.

Find out which the BSOD says. If you can, disable "Automatically restart" under the Startup and Recovery section. To get to that section, right click on "My Computer", select properties, click the "Advanced" tab and you'll see it there. Click the settings button under Startup and Recovery.

Thing is, I cannot get to the desktop now. Tried reinstalling windows xp got a "ams" file missing on install error first time. Tried again, and got almost all the way installed, and it BSOD again, this time with no "real" message. It said something about Windows has to shut down, try to troubleshoot by swapping out Memory modules or Video Adapter.

I ended up running the Memtest on this one particular stick of RAM about 4 hours, 15 passes.. no errors. Bottom of the Shuttle is really hot.. fans were kicked down to medium.. maybe the suggestion about it overheating is the problem for now. (I believe there are prob multiple problems, but this one seems logical)

Any other ideas? In meantime, trying another reinstall with the fans on "explosion speed" :)

Damn, this is f**king frustrating. But I love it. :D

EDIT: Have the voltages set to the following: 1.26v CPU, 1.56v Chipset, 1.84v RAM. CPU Idle: 40C - Chipset Idle: 37C (Windows install shouldn't heat shit up in there to point of crashing though, should it?) I had a thought, this is a G0 stepping Q6600, should I try to increase the voltages to possibly increase stability. I am NOT overclocking this now.. and voltages are all on AUTO. Maybe, the default voltage isn't enough on this board...
How do I underclock my processor? Just reduce the multiplier from 9 to anything lower? Or adjust the FSB down from 266?
Last night I was getting BSOD that said "Timing in clock cycles" or something.. but I haven't seen issues with this since the BIOS upgrade last night that was supposed to correct that
stuff.

UPDATE: I see nothing in BIOS that allows me to adjust down the multiplier. Maybe taking a quick look over some of my BIOS settings.. maybe something set wrong?? Looks right to me.

-----CPU Settings-----
Voltage set to: AUTO (1.26v)
Delay Prior to Thermal: 16 min (Choices: 4 min, 8 min, 16 min, 32 min)
Limit CPUID MaxVal: Disabled (Choices: Enabled or Disabled)
Execute Disable Bit: Disabled (Choices: Enabled or Disabled)
Virtualization Technology: Enabled (Choices: Enabled or Disabled)
CPU L1 & L2 Cache: Enabled (Choices: Enabled or Disabled)
CPU L3 Cache: Enabled (Choices: Enabled or Disabled)
Gate A20 Option: Fast (Choices: Normal or Fast)
System BIOS Cacheable: Disabled (Choices: Enabled or Disabled)
Video BIOS Cacheable: Disabled (Choices: Enabled or Disabled)
Memory Hole at 15-16M: Disabled (Choices: Enabled or Disabled)
Spread Spectrum: Disabled (Choices: Enabled or Disabled)
-----On Chip Serial ATA Settings-----
SATA Mode: IDE (Choices: IDE, RAID or AHCI) **Not running RAID, so chose this option
On-Chip Serial ATA: Enhanced Mode (Choices: Disabled, Enhanced or SATA Only)
SATA Port Speed settings: Force GEN 1 (Choices: Disabled, Force Gen 1 or Force Gen 2) **I am using an 8MB Raptor which I believe is SATA 150. (Gen 1)
-----Video Adapater Settings------
PCI Express Maximum Payload size: 4096 (Choices: 128, 156, 512, 1024, 2048 and 4096) **I am using a 768MB 8800GTX
PCI-EX Clock: Fixed 100MHZ (Choices: Sync by CPU clock or Fixed 100MHZ)
PEG Force X1: Disabled (Choices: Enabled or Disabled)
-----RAM Settings-------
DDR2 Voltage set to: AUTO (1.84)
DRAM Timing set to: Manual -- CAS Timing 5, DRAM RAS# to CAS# 5, DRAM RAS# Precharge 5, Precharge delay (tRAS) 18 (I kicked these down as stable/speeds as possible) **I am using 4GB Crucial Ballistix PC1066 Sticks (Only 1GB stick for this troubleshooting process, that has undergone extensive Memtest reporting)
System Memory Frequency: 667 (Even though 211 BIOS allows support for 800) **Figured slower is more stable

Maybe i should try Shuttle forums then? :(

EDIT: Just reinstalled Windows XP again. Clean install, installed all current device drivers, then all windows updates. BSOD on reboot from updates. Details on BSOD below (No BSOD code, just the troubleshooting tips and the stop code, and a disk.sys error at bottom? First time I have ever seen a status code on bottom of a BSOD before) This is a freshly formatted WD Raptor (74GB / 8MB Cache) is SATA Controller on the board bad?? I am not loading any F6 SATA drivers during WinXP Pro install, since Windows seems to see my drive during install fine, formats it, partitions it and installs to it. Even boots off it after Windows install. Weird.

Check to see if you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.

*** Stop: 0x0000007e (0xc0000005, 0xf76322eb, 0xf79f63ac, 0xf79f60a8)
*** disk.sys - Address F76322EB base at F762B000, Datestamp 41107b59

UPDATE: I am throwing in my other 74GB / 8MB WD Raptor now, and replacing this one to rule out the SATA controller onboard. If it BSOD's this time, I plan to try my ATI X1900XT card in this mobo (since it is a crossfire board) to see if any improvements. If it is still puking up BSOD's after all that.. one would assume something has to be wrong with the board, right?
Any other ideas are appreciated..

Is there anywhere in the Bios to turn of automatic shut down when temp is too high? Or adjust the critical temp upwards?

I still think it is overheating and thus rebooting during the install.

is core2duo supported on this motherboard? I know early 975x boards can't electrically support core2duo CPUs, much less a quad.

I have version 1 of the same shuttle. I have had similar problems w/ BSOD while overclocking, and was solved by increasing the voltage to the ram. These shuttles are notorious for dropping ram voltage and are picky with windows. I'm dual booting XP and Vista on my machine w/ an E6600, 8800gtx, and two large SATA hard drives.

If you aren't running anything off of IDE then set the on-chip SATA to "SATA Only".
Check your bios and disable ECC for the ram. This is somehow defaulted to be on and may be causing some issues as well. I would also set the ram timings to AUTO.

Try one of these at a time until you get it stable. And create an account and post this on Sudhian forums. At least half of the people on there use shuttles.

Back