Seagate 1.5TB $130 FS at Newegg

Picked this up, thanks. Free ship + 2.75% cashback + no tax to NY

beats any BF deal by a longshot, plus I dont have to worry about rebates or tax.

make sure you get the new firmware from seagate before using this!!!!

make sure you get the new firmware from seagate before using this!!!!

Only if you have the affected firmware. There are two updates for two different firmwares. DO NOT use the firmware on a drive that it was not written for (there are a few out there already that work fine without the update).

Newegg has sort of made the SD1A patch public. Quote from them:

"Firmware Download Instructions
Drives with with part number: 9JU138-300, 366 and with firmware revision SD17 and SD15 or SD18. Can be upgraded to the FW fix SD1A."

It's on the "Product Tour" tab on the page. Do test the drive first to see if there are issues before applying. I think they try to get you to contact Seagate tech support to make sure you grab the correct firmware just in case.

FWIW, I have 9JU138-300 and SD17 but don't seem to have any issues so far, streaming media or copying files or any of that but I don't run raid like many of the people who are having issues. Knock on wood.

By the way, it's 120 now. The price gets lower every day, haha.

It was 140 earlier today, switched to 130... and now its 120? looks like i'll have to contact them to get my $10 back if this is the case, but it looks like the site is dead at the moment >.<

It was 140 earlier today, switched to 130... and now its 120? looks like i'll have to contact them to get my $10 back if this is the case, but it looks like the site is dead at the moment >.<
Yeah, I was going there to get a Western DIgital 1TB Black drive and couldn't get through to the site. I came here as a test and now I think I'll go with the Seagate instead. Damn, I hope this is a good decision, I always use Western Digital since I've only had one DOA and none that have failed after prolonged use. (Knock on wood).

see, i'm the opposite and have always loved the seagates.... had 2 WD's die on me, within a very small time frame. All 3 of my seagates, including the oldest at 7 years now, have been going strong. Of course, YMMV :) and all hard drives are prone to their own problems regardless of the manufacturer. Just had bad luck with WD personally.

EDIT: site is working now
EDIT: went into the live chat and they didnt have a problem making the adjustment since the order hasn't shipped yet. excellent :)

I hear yeah, I've gone through about over 50 for personal use over the years. I recently got rid of some eight year old drives that I didn't need. They still worked. Gonna go order that drive now, Newegg seems to be back.

FWIW - I have 5 of the Seagate 1.5TB now and they work great without any of the freeze folks are experiencing. My take is that certain raid controllers / configurations are having these issues. the mainstream RAID controllers, especially on board mobo ones seem to work fine (i've used it with both ICH10R as well as Nforce Media Storage).

At $120 now though is just ridiculous!

The question is.... will Newegg drop them more before the weekend is over?

I hear ya... if I had the $$ i would totally get 2 [or more!!! -- not that I have enough money for one, but my old maxtor is on its last legs -- been having a lot of problems lately so I need a replacement to make some backups, etc] not to mention I need the extra storage. you can't beat the price when retail is selling only 1tb drives for <$220 even as "sales". No tax, cashback, free ship... absolutely crazy

No need to wake up for the so called black friday deals, newegg wins its way to my heart yet again.

I also need a new XBOX hard drive... and its the same cost for a 120 gig drive.... ugh :-/

I'm shocked at the consistent drops in $ per gigabyte over the years. I paid this for my 500 GB a bit over a year and a half ago. I guess I'll be upgrading in 3 years when 10TB drives go for this price.

Tigerdirect has also dropped to $119, although they have $2 shipping. Interesting.

Dammit! Ordered one off eBay for $114 after cashback... Would've rather bit on this...

Back