Seagate 1.5TB Hard Drive $103.99 Shipped w/15% CB at TigerDirect

I'm hearing a lot of bad things from the 1.5 TB HD from TigerDirect.. Should I just settle for the 1 TB one?

Aren't the shipping stories and my picture enough? Don't buy any hard drives from TigerDirect.

TigerDirect must have monkeys in the shipping department. I take that back - monkeys would probably do a better job of packing a hard drive to ship. :mad: Never again for me....

ordered one of these on Saturday. Arrived here packed very well without problems. Popped in the drive and it works like a charm. Very pleased! Not sure all the complaining, I haven't had problems with TD. Maybe they just like me though :)

ordered one of these on Saturday. Arrived here packed very well without problems. Popped in the drive and it works like a charm. Very pleased! Not sure all the complaining, I haven't had problems with TD. Maybe they just like me though :)

Maybe that's the problem. If you order more than one at a time they don't bother to package it since they figure the drives will cushion one another. :D

The only thing protecting my drives was the air in the box. Oh well, so far they've all been running w/o errors since last night. Tonight I'll run the diag against them before I actually rebuild my RAID5.

Maybe that's the problem. If you order more than one at a time they don't bother to package it since they figure the drives will cushion one another. :D

The only thing protecting my drives was the air in the box. Oh well, so far they've all been running w/o errors since last night. Tonight I'll run the diag against them before I actually rebuild my RAID5.
My single drive arrived in the Pink Friday box with just some crushed paper packing (the industrial kind, not random newspaper) above it, but the drive was on the bottom of the box. I'm sure it's OK, but I'll be checking that tonight. I forgot that I didn't bring any of my spare SATA cables with me when I moved, so I'm grabbing one from my brother. LOL

Well the one from newegg I got was wrapped in thick bubble wrap.... except for the one ENTIRE edge which could get beat up so easy....works fine though.

this is the email I got:

Thank you for ordering the Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB (TSD-1500AS) Hard Drive from TigerDirect.com.

Due to the amazing popularity of this great product, your order has experienced an unusual delay in shipping. Although every attempt is made to maintain inventory of each product we offer, occasionally we may run out of certain items. The good news is, your item is now in stock and is expected to be shipped within 24-48 hours.

Shortly, you will receive a shipment confirmation to let you know that your order is on its way to you. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this delay may cause and we are making every effort to expedite the shipment of your order.

So I guess that means I don't have to wait till 2009 to get it!

Got the two I ordered from Newegg today. Drives were packed in bubble wrap and popcorn was in the box for added goodness. My drives love Newegg, Tiger not so much... lesson learned.

this is the email I got:

Thank you for ordering the Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB (TSD-1500AS) Hard Drive from TigerDirect.com.

<blah, blah, blah>

So I guess that means I don't have to wait till 2009 to get it!

Yep! Same here, but my order still shows backordered.

Yep! Same here, but my order still shows backordered.

Same here.. I received the same email saying sorry for the delay, but it will be shipped. So hopefully this means it will ship out tomorrow.

Got mine today from Newegg.com, Seems that the new firmware versions are out. I got cc1g firmware, problem free so far.

Got mine today from Newegg.com, Seems that the new firmware versions are out. I got cc1g firmware, problem free so far.

I ordered two drives MWave's ebay account and also received cc1g firmware drives. There is cc1h firmware available, I shot an email to Seagate support to see if the update is necessary. I have not received a response yet. Drives have been working fine with no issues since yesterday in a Raid 1 array.

You think that's bad?

I never thought that someone could pack hard drives worse than Newegg. I'm never ordering another hard drive from Tigerdirect again. There's five in that box.

tdharddrives.jpg

Consider yourself a lucky duck. I bought 2 and it didn't come with ANY bubble wrap whatsoever. I even video taped the unboxing because I could tell they were just floating in there and I'd be surprised if neither of them were damaged.

You think that's bad?

I never thought that someone could pack hard drives worse than Newegg. I'm never ordering another hard drive from Tigerdirect again. There's five in that box.

tdharddrives.jpg

HOLY SHIT, they got retards working there.....

Mine was well package via newegg with a full box of packaging peanuts and a well wrapped bubbled wrapped hard drive.

It amazes me because every time I've orderd from them in the past everything (excluding for 3, single-item orders) came with 500,000,000 lbs of packing pnuts (though never any bubble wrap, not even around a CPU or HD) However I've noticed single-items tend to just be reboxed, like the Wifi Card, HD, and laptop I've ordered... though the card and laptop were in their own protective boxes themselves, I still dont see an excuse for not atleast throwing a sheet of bubble-wrap on each side...

You must have been the only one that ordered one that was packaged properly. Mine was just bouncing around in an empty box with nothing else in there except the hard drive. It works but damn.... I guarantee you that if the drive died and you sent it into Seagate on an RMA like TigerDirect sent it to us the warranty would get denied. I've has hard drives totally die and the hard drive manufacturers still expect you to still send the dead drive in properly packaged or they will deny the RMA. I bet Seagate would shit a brick if they saw the way these drives are being shipped by TigerDirect. :eek:

Not trying to resurrect this thread from 3 days ago but it seems that it has almost turned into a "how was your hdd packaging" thread. :p

Just got Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB HDD from newegg today (free UPS shipping).

box came in decent shape, there was one side that was a little smashed in but nothing to complain about yet. im sure UPS were so kind and gentle with it :rolleyes:

PIC-0140.jpg

PIC-0141.jpg

PIC-0142.jpg

PIC-0143.jpg

PIC-0144.jpg

Overall pretty good packaging newegg
icon14.gif

All mine came identical to the ones above.

Remember, some times your not ordering from Tiger Direct, your ordering from the closest warehouse to you.

I got my drive from TD.

Like others. Bad packaging.

Running diags now.

Model: 9JU138-302
Firmware: CC1J

I use SpinRite from Gibson Research.

I would love to know of one that works as well in windoze or linux though so I don't have to tie up a PC for hours...

I heard good things with SpinRite, but I don't have it.. so i'm using SeaTools from Seagate.

BTW, Seagate's changing their warranties on consumer drives: 3 years down from 5 years. This will apply after 1/3/09.

I heard good things with SpinRite, but I don't have it.. so i'm using SeaTools from Seagate.

BTW, Seagate's changing their warranties on consumer drives: 3 years down from 5 years. This will apply after 1/3/09.

noo! so if i buy one before then does it have 5 years?

thats the main reason i go with them, others have 3 or 1 yr..

well seagate can blow me. when i build my 15 drive raid 6 array i'm more than likely gonna get someone else just because :)

well seagate can blow me. when i build my 15 drive raid 6 array i'm more than likely gonna get someone else just because :)

If Seagate is lowering their warranty and nobody else has anything better... Does it really fucking matter who you go with, then? I went with this Seagate because of the performance difference in this series compared to the new series of WDs, which is what I usually get. I usually replace my drives before 3 years... Hell, to be honest, though, I have drives from the '90s from WD, Maxtor, and Seagate that all still work and I've never had to use a warranty claim [knock on wood].

If Seagate is lowering their warranty and nobody else has anything better... Does it really fucking matter who you go with, then? I went with this Seagate because of the performance difference in this series compared to the new series of WDs, which is what I usually get. I usually replace my drives before 3 years... Hell, to be honest, though, I have drives from the '90s from WD, Maxtor, and Seagate that all still work and I've never had to use a warranty claim [knock on wood].

WD offers 5 year with the Black and RE series. The question is of course, is the premium worth it to you. I'm sure the answer will vary from person to person. This gives WD a monopoly on 5 year consumer level drives though. Even if the Black series is an enthusiast product, it's not a server product.

the price is back and td still has 15% cashback. but now if you buy two and pay with paypal, you'll be just over $200, so you get $20 back. that comes out to less than $100 per drive.

noo! so if i buy one before then does it have 5 years?

thats the main reason i go with them, others have 3 or 1 yr..
Q. What about products purchased before Jan. 3, 2009? Will Seagate still honor the warranty offered at time of time of original purchase?

A. Yes, any Seagate customers who purchase(d) products prior to Jan. 3 will be covered by the warranty in place at the time of purchase.
http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/warranty_&_returns_assistance/product_warranty_matrix/

Back