Seagate 320GB 7200.10 fail rate?

frankyk

Gawd
I heard that the 7200.10 drives have high fail rates, is this true?

If so, why?

I've not heard this.

I have 8 of these drives running 24/7 just fine.

mine's running for 24/7 for abt 5 mths..

still doing fine..

Likewise. My 8 have been running fine for about 4 months now 24/7 in my fileserver.

I've got 2 running since they came out, perfect and perform well. I would bet that there are alot of novices out there that are using bad PSUs.

Seagate makes the best drives on the market IMO.

I would say the high fail rate is false...many applaude their LOW fail rate.

I have 13 of the 7200.10s, not a 1 dead new or now after serveral months of use.....

Hi have two myself and I have fitted oodles of them to clients machines, not had a problem yet.:)

i remember reading the same thing. i have two of them in raid 0 on my nforce 4 , no problems

these drives are faster than the WD variants, but *less* reliable per say, no problems for me yet though

Often times I will hear mixed reviews about products, some people say yay, some people nay, but about Seagate? Heard not a peep of nay. This could be the first :eek: Or not :p

I've never had a seagate fail on me, but I've replaced WD's, and Hitachi's. This doesn't really make them more reliable as I've had the other drives longer than I've had my 4 seagate 7200.10

Lately I've only been buying Seagates because of their 5 year warranty. I continuously back-up my important stuff to my my file server which has a RAID5 array. So, it is not that big of a deal to me if a drive dies. I just like the abiltiy to get a free replacement if one does.

~PJ

I have one 500gig 7200.10 in my HTPC, Hard Drive analyser (or whatever it's called) is now reporting that the quality of the drive is 34% and I should start to think about replacing it. It's uptime is 50 days! :eek:

I sold another 7200.10 (unopened) to my friend a few days ago, he has SMART telling him that the disk is about to fail and should be replaced.

i have had two 7200.10 320GB drives since they came out, both are fine.

see sig.

i have a 320GB 7200.10 and 2 x 750GB 7200.10 and neither has given me a peep of trouble.

Unless that guy on Anandtech can back up his claim with documented cases, then it's just his opinion.

the previous generation of Seagates are pretty bad, ie those before 7200.10.

They were hot and had high failure rates and that was why i avoided them. But after the 7200.10, they were the first Seagates i ever had.

None of your reports are statistically significant. Usually I'd recommend StorageReview's drive reliability survey, but they appear to be so out of date that they don't even have the 7200.10 listed as an option!

I've had 2x320 7200.10 and 2x500GB 7200.10 Seagate drives, never had any issues. Keep them properly cool and I'm sure they will last awhile.

IMO they are awesome drives, especially for the $.

I've not owned 7200.10s, but my 7200.7s have held up pretty well over the years. I'm also thinking about getting some cheap 7200.9s for my NAS.

I have one 500gig 7200.10 in my HTPC, Hard Drive analyser (or whatever it's called) is now reporting that the quality of the drive is 34% and I should start to think about replacing it. It's uptime is 50 days! :eek:

I sold another 7200.10 (unopened) to my friend a few days ago, he has SMART telling him that the disk is about to fail and should be replaced.
I guess you have pretty bad luck huh

the previous generation of Seagates are pretty bad, ie those before 7200.10.

They were hot and had high failure rates and that was why i avoided them. But after the 7200.10, they were the first Seagates i ever had.
previous generations were pretty damn good IMO!

I had 8-10 7200.9s and 1 of drives croaked on me. (after 3+ years running 24-7) However I bought a couple of them in China at an electronics market for cheap, and so it is possible it was one of those (the place I bought it from was Shaddy at best).

I have 6 7200.10s and they have all been flawless so far.

Back