Seagate 3TB USB 3.0 External $90

worked for me just now. $90 shipped via shoprunner is the lowest price I've ever seen.
Thanks OP!

You should be able to get it for $91 at Staples. Add it to cart along with some other item to get it over $100, then use code 95542 to take 10 bux off.

If you need a pen refill, this might come in handy.

anyone know what the warranty of the drive inside is?
thanks

Are these the enclosures with ST3000DM001 inside? If it is, these are awesome drives, best 7200rpm 3.5" I've ever had.

One newegg commenter says it is that drive, but that's hardly reliable...
(a guy on youtube seems to have shown it too)

Last edited:
Are these the enclosures with ST3000DM001 inside? If it is, these are awesome drives, best 7200rpm 3.5" I've ever had.
If this is the one they sell at Best Buy, it's the same drive. I've got 11 of these guys running right now. Damned fine HDDs.

Those Barracuda drives are terrible and will probably fail somewhere between 24 and 36 months from now.

For better or worse the current gen has a better rep than comparable western digital drives. It's sad you basically have to jump to enterprise level to get anything better.
Those Barracuda drives are terrible and will probably fail somewhere between 24 and 36 months from now.

For better or worse the current gen has a better rep than comparable western digital drives. It's sad you basically have to jump to enterprise level to get anything better.

I go for Seagate SV35 series drives (ST3000VX000). Rated for like 8700 hours of constant use.

Wooo back in stock again!

$89.99 shipped after code!

Until youve got empirical evidence based on a large scale study of 100,000+ drives then I'm afraid your FUD is much like wailing babies in a restaurant - things to keep quiet of no real value.

Because "I once had a XYZ brand drive die on me" anecdotal noise doesn't cut it.

Last edited:
Until youve got empirical evidence based on a large scale study of 100,000+ drives then I'm afraid your FUD is much like wailing babies in a restaurant - things to keep quiet of no real value.

Because "I once had a XYZ brand drive die on me" anecdotal noise doesn't cut it.

Anyway at $90 if the drive lasts me two years I'll be happy...

Looks like I got incredibly lucky getting it just as they added more stock and before they jacked the price.

The Hot Deals subforum has been responsible for really increasing my storage the last few months. First it was the $69 2TB Seagate Desktop drives from Best Buy a couple months ago, and now a 3TB ... sweeeeet!

This is the first HDD I've ordered for myself from Newegg in a couple of years and there was some hesitation involved, but I figure since it's a retail drive it will have some additional protection in shipping versus a bare drive.

Last edited:
My gf order one from Staples... came about to about $98 bucks shipping+tax included. They shipped her a WD 3TB Elements drive instead as they ran out of the Seagate 3TBs after they took her order.

I'm surprised you feel like you have to retaliate and mock my post. You sound like an angry Seagate stockhbolder. It's common knowledge how hard drives from Seagate started failing when they moved the production to China. If you're going to pretend to know, first actually find out what's going on.

It's common knowledge how hard drives from Seagate started failing when they moved the production to China.
Sorry, but no. It's not common knowledge. I'd be careful about even calling it knowledge, as there doesn't appear to be any factual basis to it. A statement such as that pretty much requires citation.

ymmv but i picked up an external Seagate Backup Plus 3TB at 'best buy' a few months ago thinking the drive inside would be a Barracuda ST3000DM001 (7200rpm) but no, inside was the lessor model ST3000DM003 (5900rpm).

on an unrelated note i would have to agree about Seagate's dubious reliability, at least from my experience so far. including the slower 5900rpm drive above i also have (2) of the faster Seagate ST3000DM001 drives. they both are only 5 months old and one of them just failed last week practically overnight - im in the process of RMA'ing it now. now, i realize all drives can fail but this Seagate is the only hdd i've had over the years that started out working perfectly for months and just failed. i did manage to backup my data in time but just barely.

Newegg has crap packing for hard drives.. they just throw them in a box with a single bubble bag.. Not necessarily fatal for one drive, but when they do that with a bunch of drives, forget it.

Wish ZipZoomFly hadn't killed itself. They had the best shipping for hard drives. Large foam forms that could hold several drives in their own little self-contained, cushioned spaces.

Newegg has crap packing for hard drives.. they just throw them in a box with a single bubble bag.. Not necessarily fatal for one drive, but when they do that with a bunch of drives, forget it.

Since this is... or was... a retail boxed drive, and an external at that... no real big problem with Newegg's shipping.

hi: I'm not trying to take the light away from seagate; I'm trying to compare the 3tb seagate at about $109.99 (as low as $99.99 at Staples) with the Toshiba Canvio 3tb external hdd (also at Staples)

What HDD is likely to come inside the Canvio 3tb hdd? Anyone have experience with this? Anyone care to venture a comparison between this and the Seagate 3tb hdd?

Also: The Toshiba Canvio comes with bundled NTI backup software. Any good for a freebie? Does the Seagate come with backup software of any usefulness?

Thank you for replying.

Back