Seagate 7200.12 wrong label

cpthk

Weaksauce
I read the news that people in asian report that their drive have wrong label problem.

They were trying to get ST3100528AS, but the software actual read ST3100523AS. They called up seagate, and seagate only told them it was the wrong label problem and does not affect the functionality of the drive.
I was wondering does anyone on the forum have the same problem?

Here are some pictures of proof.

P01-03-09_2255.jpg

P01-03-09_2254.jpg

P01-03-09_2252.jpg

HDTune_Benchmark_ST31000523AS.png

I can support what Seagate is saying. The 500GB 7200.12 drives are in the same situation. There are ST3500510AS and 518AS models out there. Both perform exactly the same. Seagate support told me that it has to do with different part numbers available to OEMs and retailers. I wouldn't worry about it.

I'm going to guess that it's due to the 3rd party labels due to the country of sale? Most of us here are North American so we should not be affected with this.

It is kinda a fub that would upset consumers, but the model numbers should perform the same.

Yeah, things like these and mistakes start always to bother people even though it should be the same performing product, it's natural. But may make a bad image of the company.

I'm going to guess that it's due to the 3rd party labels due to the country of sale?

What? The picture of the drive label is a standard Seagate label that clearly is not what the drive reports itself as.

Back