Seagate 7200 160gb laptop 2.5 inch harddrives at dell for $129

Is this a good deal? I want to upgrade my e1705 to a decent sized 7200rpm drive. Is 200gb the largest you can buy for a laptop currently?

Yea 200 GB is the largest you can buy in a 7200RPM drive. 250GB is the largest you can get in a 2.5in form factor, at 5400RPM.

Seagate warranty is for 5 years which makes this a good deal....picking up 2 for my EverEx and waiting on the RAID updated BIOS :cool:

Hmm, I just ordered a Dell Vostro 1500. It comes with a 120gb 5400 rpm drive. Will the 7200 be noticeably faster?

Seagate warranty is for 5 years which makes this a good deal....picking up 2 for my EverEx and waiting on the RAID updated BIOS :cool:

I wouldn't be so sure on that. These are drives sold to an OEM. Warranties normally differ in this case.

I wouldn't be so sure on that. These are drives sold to an OEM. Warranties normally differ in this case.

i had a rma recertified seagate drive that had a sticker on it that said 90 days warranty. i checked seagates site and it said 5 years :D.

still isnt' expired. i'd say these are 5 years based of that experience :)

I would have disagreed as well but after seeing matrix's post, maybe seagate is better than that. I bought a fujitsu drive through dell and when it failed, fujitsu said it was an oem drive and I'd have to get my warranty through dell.

All of the OEM Seagates on Newegg's site sport a 5 year parts and labor warranty, I'm quite sure the same goes for Dell OEM....the only thing is you have to deal directly with Seagate, Dell offers no support unless it is in a Dell laptop.

Just ordered two, free shipping, but have to pay state tax....ship on Friday and will be here on Wednesday. Now if EverEx would get off of their dead ass and release the RAID BIOS update, I'd be a happy camper. ;)

Or you can get a 250GB drive AND an external, all for $180.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8360775&st=western+250gb&type=product&id=1177113149231

The internal drive is the 2.5in SATA WD2500BEVS 250GB drive. Pop in that drive, put your old one in the enclosure. Bam. Biggest drive you can get right now.

wow good price. newegg has just the drive for $190. then again, newegg means no tax in my state, but even with tax, bby's deal is $5 for the sleek enclosure.

damn I was going to hold out for a 200GB >150 but this might be too good to pass up...i guess i could use the existing 80gb as an external and call it a day

Or you can get a 250GB drive AND an external, all for $180.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8360775&st=western+250gb&type=product&id=1177113149231

The internal drive is the 2.5in SATA WD2500BEVS 250GB drive. Pop in that drive, put your old one in the enclosure. Bam. Biggest drive you can get right now.

This and this websites state that HD has 2mb cache, not 8mb of the WD2500BEVS. I couldn't find the cache size directly from WD however. I don't know how big of a difference that would make though.

This should be the PMR one, they only sell no more than 100gb for the NCQ one, I think.

The link given by OP is for dell outlet, and I found it on Dell EPP with same price, I wonder if it's exactly the same (quality, etc)

This and this websites state that HD has 2mb cache, not 8mb of the WD2500BEVS. I couldn't find the cache size directly from WD however. I don't know how big of a difference that would make though.

I did this for my notebook. The model # says WD2500BEVS. Check WD's website. They do not make a 250GB notebook drive with 2MB of cache.

taken from another website:

You know, I purchased one of these as well and received it today. I received a complimentary 90-day warranty described for RECONDITIONED products. God dammit, this drive is reconditioned!!!!!!

I repeat, this deal is for a reconditioned drive!!!!!!!
i just talked to dell part sales, the first guy i talked to seemed like he knew what he was talking about and said if the site doesnt say refurb, then its not a refurb i asked him about the warranty and he said he wanted to cross check and somehow i got transferred. this time a female picked up, seemed like she had no idea what she was talking about and she it wasn't a refurb and it had a one year warranty. i asked if she was sure and she said absolutely (please note, i'm pretty sure she would have said absolutely to anything i would have asked her, seemed like an airhead). i think i'm going to wait for some more people to get their hard drives before ordering. i hate to get a reconditioned one and have it fail, esp. on my laptop. (although i guess the chances of a refurb failing is the same a new one?)

1 year warranty? ugh thx, I'll pass.

taken from another website:

1 year warranty? ugh thx, I'll pass.

all they have to do is check the serial at seagate to see how much warranty is left. and yes the chance is the same for the drive failing

im gonna keep an eye on this thread. when some of you get it, can you check the warranty on seagate.com?

some odd info, but interesting. I just bought a Dell 1505 out of the outlet, it had a 120gb 5400 Seagate in it. I tried to check the warranty remaining, and it said " This product cannot be processed for a return. Please contact the original place of purchase."

i wonder, maybe there is no seagate warranty.

Well he bought himself the whole system, I guess the warranty should be on Dell. Now has anyone checked the 160GB 7200 RPM drive bought on Dell's A&E at Seagate website?

I just received an automated telephone call from Dell informing me that the item is now on backorder and will ship 7/27 and I ordered the first day....I have the option to cancel the order, but since the deal is now dead at least for the time being, I believe I will let it ride.

if u get the 160, its an amazing price for it. id wait for it too.

but i also wouldnt be surprised if dell canceled the order.

it just seemed to good to be true, a pricing error perhaps.

anyone in here know any other WWW that has a good selection of 80+ GB 7200s, besides egg?

Back