seagate 7200.7 really loud chirping

xdkimx

Limp Gawd
i jus got this seagate drive 2 days ago and it randomly chirps very loudly.. i took the drive out of the case and connected it right next to me to make sure it was this drive..

this cant be natural do i need to rma it or is this suppose to happen right when i get this drive? my wd raptors very quiet while this seagate makes all the noise.. i thought it would be the other way around :p

You might want to run some of the diagnostic software from the Seagate web site. Or just call them and see what's up, becuase that does not sound normal. Back up your data as well to be safe.

hm i tried using the drivewizard they have to format and create a partion and the noise didnt come up yet but i cant imagine how this would fix the sound

when i do the diagnostics all the tests passed i really dono wut can be making this noise.. maybe the shipping ppl didnt handle it well or something n it broke i dono

hm as for losing my data the drives completely blank :D also jus a storage drive so the os isnt even on it

i dono tho ppl 2 people on the newegg review seemed to have similar problems http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/FeedBack/CustRatingReview.asp?Item=N82E16822148040

"This may be my last Seagate drive for awhile. I'm pleased with the price, but this thing is possibly the loudest drive I've ever owned. During intensive writes, it sounds like someone scraping their fingernails across a chalkboard. No more 7200.7's for me."

"hard drive is fast, but loud. very loud actually, would not expect this from a seagate... i'm not sure if mine is defective but it works great, just the noise."

RMA it, it's broken. My seagate 120gb 7200.7 is just shy of silent, always. Return it or regret it when it breaks the rest of the way.

Sounds like it's fubar'd. HDD making a racket almost always means it's about ready for the kill wall.

I have 3 of them 7200.7's, none make any noise at all, 1 is a 200 gigger in my xbox, the toher 2 are 300 giggers in my basement file server, they are very quiet.

When people talk about hard drive noise and stuff it's hard to guage because a lot of the time it's not even the drive making the noise but the fittings or loose parts in a case. The 7200.7s as a model are known to be very silent while spinning but when accessing data to be a tad crunchy. But, that's just normal with them. The beeping you describe...why risk your data on a brand new drive you paid good money for? Have Seagate take care of it.

Back