Seagate 750 GB drive shipping!!

StorageJoe

Limp Gawd
Late Friday, Seagate announced that their new 7200.10 family of barricuda drives is available for immediate shipment. Based on perpendicular recording technology, this is the first desktop drive to hit the 750 GB capacity. Available in both PATA and SATA.

pn# ST3750640AS & ST3750640A

A quick Froogle search yielded

750 GB model - ~$550
500 GB model - ~$375
320 GB model - ~$150

Wow. I wonder how long I'll have to wait to get one at about $300? :)
My SFF HTPC needs one of these bad.

Cool... but the number of retailers with them actually in stock appears to be... well... zero.

When can we expect price drops for the 500gb? Im currently eyeing one or two 400gb for my next build + server upgrade, but if the 500gb come down Id certainly like that.

Any other vendors selling this drive? I'd like to buy one today if they are availible.

And why the hell are they still selling PATA drives, seagate said last year that thier 500 is the last of the PATA generation.

EDIT: ETA IS 5/1/06 So I think we'd have to wait till then, perhaps preselling competition would heat up fast. Looks like the heat is on already with $492 for the sata version at some vendors.

Does this perpendicular recording technology have a performance benefit? I know drives normally get faster with platter density increases, but is some form of additional processing required to understand it? I regret that I'm not very well informed when it comes to this...

^^^ ockie some rack mounts still use ide for mas storage like the xserve raid

^ tee jay latency is about 4 ms, same as non perp drives

real benefit seems to be the amount of data you can hold on a single disk, which I really only see a benefit for databases and such as consumers might only fill that space with video or perhaps large image files/film capturing.

TheOmniscientCreator said:
Meh...and I thought 120GB is big :eek:
LOL that was the whole pitch when I got one for my birthday years ago, "120 is huge I can install all my games with room to spare on it" Now I need bigger :(

Finally a drive with decent amount of space. Hopefully the price will come down.

any other manufacturers coming out with something similar in technology/capacity???
We need competition and choice to bring down the prices!

I am SURE seagate and all other HD makers are loving the torrent swarms of the intarweb :D

This thing beats out my 4 drives put together :(
3x 200gb
1x 120gb
I feel small :(

E-penis--

Ultra Wide said:
any other manufacturers coming out with something similar in technology/capacity???
We need competition and choice to bring down the prices!

Toshiba was doing this research as well and i think hitachi- either way it is something ALL drive makers will be doing soon enough.

My only question is will it be faster than

4x 250GB RAID 5 or 3x 250GB RAID 0

if not I will likely still be buying array drives.

Sweet, now hopefully the 400 GB 7200.8's will drop a bit in price and I'll just get a few of them.

Terrabyte drives are just around the corner now :eek:

Funny how IBM announced back in 2000 in Computerworld Magazine that they had the technology to make 1 Terabyte drives, sell them for $100 and make plenty of profit.

When Blue Ray comes out, if you would only be able to rip (if we will be able to) about 10 movies to a 1 Terabyte drive.

Not buying any storage for a while unless any of my current drives go out.

tdg said:
Sweet, now hopefully the 400 GB 7200.8's will drop a bit in price and I'll just get a few of them.
Exactly. I'm only excited for these because they'll drop the price of more reaonsable drives

I love these capacity jumps. It just makes the multiTB RAID I'm planning that much cheaper.

2 of these in a SFF box would be very nice...

Dual Core CPU
1900xt
2GB ram
1.5TB
All in your Lap... to take to a lan whenever....

Why couldnt this tech be out 20 years ago? Our kids will be living the good life <3 I grew up with a 25 lb 75MHz Pentium and it Sucked lol

While this is all amazing and all, i think the real interesting part is when they pass this technology onto the smaller capacity drives. A Single platter 200 GB HDD coming soon would be awesome ;)

Sweet Bouncing Jesus on a pogo stick that's a lot of room for pr0... errrr.. documents.

Back