Seagate 750G SATA @ BB $279.99

PixPirate

Limp Gawd
Scored the Seagate 750 Gig SATA 3.0, 16MB Buffer, 7200.10, NCQ, ST3750640AS-RK, 5yr warranty, from BestBuy for $279.99 (Before tax) using the 'Back to School" 30% off coupon. Regular price is $399.99. See the thread on that coupon for details (http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1083483).

Thought this deal deserved it's own thread. Some BBs are bastards about honoring that coupon, so YMMV. Coupons are good thru 9/9/06. Good luck!

thePP

Thanks OP. I was not able to find the coupon at any of my local stores so I found some on EBAY. I am going to try for the 750 as soon as my coupon arrives.

Wow, that's a pretty good $/GB for a top-of-the-line HDD capacity. Any bets on when a 1 TB HDD will be sold (and at what price)? :eek:

[H]ard|Nate said:
I just did this deal over lunch. Got it for $290 after dang taxes. Is $0.39/gig decent?

Not the absolute best price/gig out there but when you consider how new it is, overall capacity, and speed it's a fantastic price.

Thanks for the confirmation, I am at 1.14TB(manufactured stated) with all my other drives. I was going to wait for the 1TB models, but they will command a price premium for awhile when they are introduced. Everyone should go out and try to get those 30% off coupons, I should stop looking at things to buy. I have had an expensive month.

[H]ard|Nate said:
I just did this deal over lunch. Got it for $290 after dang taxes. Is $0.39/gig decent?
$0.39/GB is not very good at all given that one can get HDDs for $0.25/GB easily if one is willing to deal w/ rebates. But top-of-the-line HDDs always command more overall $ and per GB.

As a point of reference, when the 500 GB HDDs first came out, $0.50/GB was considered a good price.

The only problem I have with trying to justify one of these from BB is that for nearly the same overall cost, I can get it online. For instance, ZZF has it for $335 shipped. I live 35 miles from the nearest BB, so thats about $13 in gas, 6% sales tax on the drive, 2 hours of my time driving back and forth, and $3 for the BB coupon from ebay. Ends up being only a $20 savings (or $0.027/GB).

Wow I didn't know ZZF had it at $335 that's a nice deal by itself, and a lot less hassle.

Yea, 37 cents a gig is not great, but for the "flagship" drive it's pretty good. Compare to a high-end SCSI or FC 15K drive for fun. Heck the 141G/15K drives that we buy for our mainframes from IBM go for $2999 each, that's like 21 DOLLARS per Gig! So .37 sounds pretty good!

But you can find consumer drives for as little as .25/Gig or even a bit less. I got a 400G from Outpost a couple of months ago for 99.99 which was exactly that. PATA tho.

thePP

Back