Seagate Cheetah 10k 73GB

Relentless3O

Limp Gawd
My old WD600 HDD failed on me yesterday. I am purchasing a seagate cheetah (73GB) off of overstock.com. I just realised (they did not state, found after doing research) that it is an SCSI storage device. Then I went "oh sh1t. Im gonna need an SCSI card." First off, how much do these things go for new/used. Second, are there specific types of SCSI cards out there, like different adapters and the such, and could I use this HDD to install my OS (Linux/Windows XP, Havent decided) on? Is there a driver disk I should use? I have a another 120gig SATA HDD that I have made a driver disk for. Should I just use that for my OS and the SCSI for storage? Oh yeah, here it is. Seagate Cheetah Link (Overstock.com) and heres
a link to stats and the such. This is for a desktop by the way. Is it worth buying the SCSI card or should I just return the HDD when I recieve it, and but a used raptor or something?
Speaking of which, if I should buy a raptor, WTB Used Raptor! PST! :D

Any U160 card will work with that disk.

I have an Adaptec 29160 and cable for sale...cheap.

It will be seen by any major OS as a SCSI disk without any problems.

On a side note...how do you mix up SCSI with anything else? :p

I'd return it. It's a half-height drive, which means that it's about a half inch taller than your normal 3.5" hard disk. For the cost of a card and the drive you could probably get a 120 gig IDE/SATA disk

I dont think so, I got it for 60 dollars shipped...XD Im probably going to buy a used card, and I didnt buy it for storage capacity (Have a seagate 120gig for that, and can get some other IDE HDDs if I need to). I bought it for the point of making my OS and games (BF2/WoW) Play better/faster.

used U160 cards can be had for pretty cheap if you do decide to keep it. The card that feigned is offering up is a solid, reliable controller.

Having said that, the drive will run pretty loud and very hot. I'd likely go for a raptor if I didn't already have a scsi card or if heat/noise were a concern.

Well damn, where do you guys think I could get a used 74gig raptor for 60bucks? I mean, Im buying a new monitor soon (next couple of days) and I dont think someone would sell me one for 60-100 dollars, even if I was extremely desperate. Think if I did a trade of some sort?

if you keep it you'll also need a 68pin lvd cable and a terminator

Generally SCSI drives are very reliable. I'm not shure that speed of your unit will match speeds of newer 7200 rpm SATA drives (even though it spins at 10k rpm) since it is older U160 model, and since SCSI's are not optimised for desktop use.

If you can get controler (U160 will be more than sufficient), cable and terminator for low price, I'd say hook it up.

Someone called dibs on the other one =\ Whatever, im just gonna try and trade that for a 74gig raptor, or a 150gig raptor + 30 dollars or so.

Do keep in mind though - as fugu said it is a half hight drive which means it will very possibly not fit in your hard drive bracket and if it will it will occupy 1 and half slots. 1.6" SCSI drives are dirt cheap nowadays because most SCSI users are looking for higher density and are moving toward 1" drives (like your typical desktop drives). I remeber way back when I had a full hight 40MB drive in an old 286/16 I had. That drive was the size of two CD-Rom drives. The largest hard drive I have personally seen is the monster below. This is a 10MB hard drive - I've removed the cover and heads on this one and is still nearly 12" long. I've get a few of these - with the heads and covers still on it it about 16" x 12" x 6" !! The drive you have will be quick but it may be a tad noisy and you will have a delay at power on for the SCSI controller to detect the drive.

Also just saw this in the hot deals - Refurb 74gb raptors for $105
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1012461
bigdrive.jpg

-sigh- Everytime I find a good deal, it turns out to be horrible. LOL. I guess I will try and do my best with this drive that is coming. I just really wanted a raptor, maybe I can trade this and some money for a 74gig.

Another thing to consider is if the drive is SCA (or 80 pin) in which case you will need either a 68 pin apapter or an independent SCSI server chassis with a proper U160/U320 backplane. Good luck.

Back