Seagate Momentus 100GB SATA/150 7200RPM 8MB 2.5" NB HDD $53+ Shipping

[H]unter

Weaksauce
2nd Deal post so go easy...

$53 + ship at geeks :cool:
Link

it is a REFURBISHED item. any opinions on refurbs from seagate for notebooks?

I really want to upgrade my laptop from a 5400RPM.

I picked up one of these last time time around and it is still working great. The seagate factory refurbished drives are rebuilt very well.. it looks brand new when you get it. I've dropped mine several times and it is still working lol.

Refurbished can mean a lot of things, not necessarily it was ever defective in the first place. I've seen people yank out drives and return them just because it made the "tick" sound where it does thermal recalibration as all modern hard drives do. Customer said "it's defective" and demanded a return/RMA so, I sent it back knowing it was perfectly ok to begin with (passed the SeaTools advanced diagnostic 4x with flying colors) but whatever. Customers are typically ignorant idiots anyway, this one was no exception.

Companies get such hardware back, run the exact same test I did using the exact same software I did, realize it's not defective and then put a "Refurb" sticker on it and toss it in a bin. They lose a lot of money on that sort of situation in the long run, but it's part of the cost of doing business I suppose. 95% of the refurbished stuff people buy was simply returned because it was either too complicated for your average consumer or the device in question was simply beyond their ability to understand on any level.

I remember the day the first iMacs hit the market: the CompUSA here in Las Vegas was swarmed by people buying them (and I mean the big tube style iMacs, in the 5 ridiculous colors, back around 1998 or so). They had 411 of them that came in on a semi-trailer and they sold every last one of them in under 4 hours.

Of course, within 72 hours of that they had 341 of them returned as being "too complicated" and nothing like the TV commercials advertised with Jeff Goldbloom: "10 minutes from the box to being online..."

Oh those were the days... :)

I remember the day the first iMacs hit the market: the CompUSA here in Las Vegas was swarmed by people buying them (and I mean the big tube style iMacs, in the 5 ridiculous colors, back around 1998 or so). They had 411 of them that came in on a semi-trailer and they sold every last one of them in under 4 hours.

Of course, within 72 hours of that they had 341 of them returned as being "too complicated" and nothing like the TV commercials advertised with Jeff Goldbloom: "10 minutes from the box to being online..."

Oh those were the days... :)

That's just sad

Back