searching through text files

creedAMD

2[H]4U
Hey, I have 1000's of text files that I want to search through to see which ones have a certain text in them. Is there a program that I can download that will search all of the files for me? They are all on the same hardrive but different folders. Like I'm looking to see which ones have the text "I rock" in them as an example.

Thanks!

Robert

Also try Windows Desktop Search, I like it better than Google Desktop

What's wrong with search ?

Right click on drive or folder and - select "search" - put the filter for the file types you want in "all or part of the file name:" i.e. *.txt

and in the "A word or phrase in the file:" put the word or phrase.

Am I missing something??

What's wrong with search ?

Right click on drive or folder and - select "search" - put the filter for the file types you want in "all or part of the file name:" i.e. *.txt

and in the "A word or phrase in the file:" put the word or phrase.

Am I missing something??
You're missing the fact that the old built-in Windows search tool is very very slow, compared to Google Desktop or Spotlight or whatever.

You're missing the fact that the old built-in Windows search tool is very very slow, compared to Google Desktop or Spotlight or whatever.

I know it's slower, but the OP did'nt indicate that it needed to be fast.

I just did a search on my slow laptop hardrive that found 3463 *.txt files in 55.8 gig of data with the word test in them, in a matter of 3minutes and 35 seconds. It's realy not that slow unless you are going to be doing it several times a day.

I wasn't able to get windows to find the text at all in files using that method, the file was an .est file for custom software so maybe that has something to do with it. Windows Desktop search worked like a champ.

I know it's slower, but the OP did'nt indicate that it needed to be fast.

I just did a search on my slow laptop hardrive that found 3463 *.txt files in 55.8 gig of data with the word test in them, in a matter of 3minutes and 35 seconds. It's realy not that slow unless you are going to be doing it several times a day.

Back