Secret Wal-Mart Sale Includes $99 HD DVD Player

Must be some different boxes with different cables included. My model only had the RCA cable and was labeled on the box that it was made in China. Some people have reported that they saw A2 boxes that were made in Japan. I'm wondering if some of that stock included the HDMI cable?

I made the half hour trip to the Walmart store in Salem, Oregon, figuring it was the most likely "local" place to actually stock HD-DVD players. Due to traffic delays, I got there at 8:05 am and noticed one guy loading three HD-DVD boxes into his trunk (in the store there were other people that had 2-3 also, so much for the 1 per person limit). It looks like they started with an end display of about 20. When I picked mine up off of the shelf there were about 8 left. By the time I checked out at the electronic counter there was 1 left (about 8:15). I did get a copy of Transformers & Batman from the display case.

The funny thing is that the staff seemed surprised and unprepared that there were about a dozen people milling about in the electronics department right after opening. They hadn't set out the $14 promotional HD-DVDs either, though they had them at the counter and we could purchase them. Overall, you could tell they were thinking "WTF is going on?" :D

For me, the A2 is a good match to my HDTV. I bought a 32" 4:3 Hitachi CRT about 5 years ago on an open-box special at Circuit City (a 42" flat panel at that time was $4k). So 1080p does not even matter on this TV. It's my understanding that a decent 1080p TVs will just use a 3:2 pulldown on the 1080i signal anyway. The TV only has component inputs (no HDMI on this set) for high def but it's my understanding that the whole "copy protection that forces 480p" thing isn't even being used now. My trial movie this morning after I plugged everything in looked nice and crisp, kind of like the high def feeds I've seen over cable for several years.

For those interested in the 5 free HD-DVD offer, you can click to get the PDF at this X-Box 360 page (yes, it also applies to Toshiba HD-DVD players).
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/x/xbox360hddvdplayer/hddvdnow/offers.htm

Got mine and watching it now.... upconverts nicely. Blockbuster didn't have any HD dvd's :eek:

Got mine this morning as well. No HDMI cable in my box either. TV is an older CRT HDTV with component connectors and I haven't been able to get any of my movies to upconvert to 1080i. TV only supports 480i/480p and 1080i. Any idea why I can't get any of my movies to play at 1080i?

Thanks...

Got mine this morning as well. No HDMI cable in my box either. TV is an older CRT HDTV with component connectors and I haven't been able to get any of my movies to upconvert to 1080i. TV only supports 480i/480p and 1080i. Any idea why I can't get any of my movies to play at 1080i?

Thanks...

Sorry for the 2nd post, but I am not allowed to edit my posts. Just thought of something else I will check on. Is it possible I am having this issue because I am running my component cables through a switch? I have one of those Pelican multi-system switches as I only have 2 component inputs into my TV.

Thanks...

Just to clarify, upconversion of standard DVDs (480p) will only work if you are going through HDMI.

Component inputs keep things at their regular resolution, so standard DVDs will display at 480p but HD-DVDs will display at 1080i (or 720p if you choose that).

Just to clarify, upconversion of standard DVDs (480p) will only work if you are going through HDMI.

Component inputs keep things at their regular resolution, so standard DVDs will display at 480p but HD-DVDs will display at 1080i (or 720p if you choose that).

Thanks for clarifying that! I suspected as much, but couldn't find that info anywhere?? Time to pick my 5 movies then.

Cheers!

I got the Wal-Mart laptop. I removed most of the crapware and spent some time on a few Vista tweak sites this weekend. Nice little cheap machine I must say. This will be the machine I lug to work every day. The screen is great. All I need now is another gig of RAM and I think this think will work out nicely.

You guys are lucky I live in Wisconsin and there is this silly law that says retailers have to mark up items a certain %.... so that cheap laptop everyone else got was about 150 more

You guys are lucky I live in Wisconsin and there is this silly law that says retailers have to mark up items a certain %.... so that cheap laptop everyone else got was about 150 more

Wow, your state told retailers to screw you :eek:

Back