Security Cameras?

Tooterfish

Limp Gawd
I spend a lot of time away from home, sometimes up to 6 to 9 months a year on average. I have a security system but I'm looking for something that would give me a little more sense of security. Has anybody played with a security cam setup that I can access anywhere online? I would like to monitor my driveway especially, as my security system does not alert me if somebody is messing with my car, or looking in my windows.

They have IP cameras which basically have a built in web server in the camera so you can access the video remotely. Typically, you hook them up to your Internet router and it mostly works after the port forwarding.

There's a really wide variation, though, from under $100 to a few thousand, depending on image quality, night vision, zoom, and software. Your budget really determines what kind of quality you can expect.

The crappy ones are maybe 640x480 or so for big areas so stuff is blurry. The good ones can go up to 5MP+. If you want to record, most of them require a 24/7 PC with some software doing the recording on the same LAN. One of the problems that occurs if you want to look at the live video is that it may be choppy and unresponsive if your upload speed is bad (e.g. <512kb up from a cable modem).

Many have triggers these days too, so they can email/upload to FTP a picture if there's movement or any number of events.

I've been toying with this idea as well as a big time fugitive in my town has been recently released from jail. He will chain rob entire neighboorhoods in a single night and it's only a matter of time till he does mine.

These are things I've thought that would be cool:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/electronic/c7b4/

This is good if you just want to have a look around the house, but not sure if it can be set to just record an area.

These look interesting too:
http://www.++++.com/products/?sku=54269&vpn=TPE-S44 & TV-IP501P&manufacture=Bundle Deals

POE so only one cable needed.

Or if you want to stick to RCA (more universal imo as you can get a PVR of choice or build your own)

http://www.spygadgetonline.ca/mini-wired-color-camera-smoke-detector-p-69.html

They have lot of interesting cams on that site including tiny ones you could probably hide. I'm new to this myself, been researching what is the best bet for my house.

Rarely, if ever, do you catch someone in the act realtime with security cameras. Most cases it's after the incident do you realize something happened. Then you use the camera system to review recordings.
Around the perimeter of your house, you can install flood lights that are triggered by motion at nighttime.
Then also install a camera system set to record on motion, and possibly send out alerts to you whenever a motion alarm occurred. Then again, you might get spammed ridiculously ALOT as lighting and weather can trigger frequent motion recording based on the sensitivity settings.
So you're back to reviewing stuff after the matter of fact.
But much better than nothing.

Use a free DDNS service for access to your LAN from remote locations. Then either VPN in and type in the local address of the video server's GUI player or do a port forward straight to your camera system's GUI player (depends how you wanna do it).

Oh yeah, hide your video server well. You don't want the thieves to steal your evidence.

Yeah the point is not to really catch them in the act, but to have solid evidence. OF course if you can catch them in the act even better.

And yeah hide the server very well... I would put it in it's very own locked room. Also put cameras in location where it's physically hard to reach. By the time they see and break them, you'll have enough evidence.

Check out the Foscam FI8918W. It is at times sold as cheap as $70 shipped after tax (recent thread on slickdeals), and has:

Near 360o panning as well as up and down
Can record motion alerts to a NAS
Can send instant alerts along with six screenshots (1 per second) to your email
Can be viewed and controlled live on your laptop or cellphone over the web (cellphone w/ appropriate app)
Has respectable night vision, although blurry at night for objects in motion
Wireles G
640x480 @ 15fps or 320x240 @ 30fps
Wide angle lens, but with various cheap aftermarket lenses that screw in for narrower or even wider field of view at dealextreme for just a couple bucks
Two way audio w/ pretty decent speakers, although a bit tinny

5769265349_d4614f7567_z.jpg

I have since added a wider angle lens to two of the cameras to capture more of the room, and added two more cameras, one over the entrance to see packages and send motion alerts whenever someone approaches my door, and another for the living room.

Great for keeping an eye on my cats, and perving on my maid as she's on all fours cleaning under the couch.

Last edited:
These are things I've thought that would be cool:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/electronic/c7b4/.
I was very excited about the Rovio as a way to interact w/ my pets and be able to roam around, but it is an inferior product and like most reviews the idea is far superior to the actual execution. You don't want the current generation, its a big letdown. Hopefully they improve the navigation, steering, camera quality, and give it nightvision in the next edition or a competitor.

In any case, I wanted to add that cameras should be considered ADDITIONAL security, not primary. A monitored (even if self-monitored) home security system with window and door sensors should be the primary defense.

And as God once said, "LET THERE BE LIGHT". Thieves, like roaches, like to operate in darkness. So I just use dusk-to-dawn lights, but you can also have motion sensor lights installed inexpensively. Vehicle alarm systems can also page you now or send you an email when they go off.

They can still get your stuff, but w/ security cameras, bright lights, and a big ADT sign in the lawn its just not worth it and they will go for easier pickings. You don't have to outrun the bear, just the other people at the picknick.

I installed ZoneMinder at a few locations and ended up installing it at home. All the hardware I'm using is pretty low cost, I don't think any camera was over $100. The 8 port DVR cards were $80 locally.

If you want anything higher than 640x480 it's not cheap.

Some of the ZoneMinders I installed replaced China DVR (about $200 8 port no hard drive) and the quality looks better.

I've been looking for a great wireless outdoor security camera for some time but have never found any good ones and have tried a couple off of ebay too.

Here's what I want:
Wireless (Wireless N...yeah, has to be)
High resolution (1280x800:30FPS or more)
Great Night-vision capabilities (50+ meters)
Weather proof/water proof
Very small and inconspicuous (maybe even easily paintable to match house color)
Audio

Here's the closest I've found matching what I would like in a security camera. The only problem is the price is twice as much as I think it's worth. I'm never happy...lol

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290535679191&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Awesome suggestions thanks! I like the IP cameras, looks like I'll save a ton of money setting up my own system rather than having ADT put one in at a ridiculous monthly fee.

I've been looking for a great wireless outdoor security camera for some time but have never found any good ones and have tried a couple off of ebay too.

Here's what I want:
Wireless (Wireless N...yeah, has to be)
High resolution (1280x800:30FPS or more)
Great Night-vision capabilities (50+ meters)
Weather proof/water proof
Very small and inconspicuous (maybe even easily paintable to match house color)
Audio

Here's the closest I've found matching what I would like in a security camera. The only problem is the price is twice as much as I think it's worth. I'm never happy...lol

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290535679191&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Uh, good luck. All that for around 400?

They can advertise IR out to any range, but the general effective IR range is maybe 15 meters. Beyond that, these cameras just don't have the juice for it. If you really need the long range, you probably have to get a separate IR/white light that's either always on or turns on with motion detect. They do sell some IR lights that blend in quite well but they're not cheap.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Uh, good luck. All that for around 400?

They can advertise IR out to any range, but the general effective IR range is maybe 15 meters. Beyond that, these cameras just don't have the juice for it. If you really need the long range, you probably have to get a separate IR/white light that's either always on or turns on with motion detect. They do sell some IR lights that blend in quite well but they're not cheap.
That is one thing I had been meaning to add. Anyone have recommendations on IR floodlights for the yard? :)

I'd like some facing out into the street to help the cameras get a more crisp saturated picture, but can't have traditional floodlights facing toward the street blinding drivers.

Worst case scenario, perhaps I could ductape the kajillion remotes I have all together and glue the volume up buttons down and have the ultimate DIY IR floodlamp. :D

lol @ the remotes, I can totally picture that. They need 2 AA's, but you can always just give it 12 volts from an adapter. People within 10 miles will wonder why their TVs keep going louder all the time.

I would go with actual flood lights and have them set on a motion detector. Just make sure it does not go off every time a car passes by. I'd point the censor to near your house/driveway and try to calibrate it so it's not affected by the sidewalk. I've seen tape used to make the "view" angle accurate. The bright light alone may possibly deter thieves. I'm thinking of doing the same with my house, have some pot lights all around and have each row on their own sensor.

I'm about to setup my first cam system for a client, and what I read here has been alot of help - thanks so much :D

I say go for those Chinese branded DVR boxes with network access. Easy to set up and under 400. I installed an Aposonic and it was decent quality.

Awesome suggestions thanks! I like the IP cameras, looks like I'll save a ton of money setting up my own system rather than having ADT put one in at a ridiculous monthly fee.

If you have ADT and want cameras... drop them for Vivint and get their camera package. Being able to monitor your system from your smart phone is awesome. Having the data be offsite as well is rad too and a nice piece of mind. Who knows if your NAS or computer storing your video is gonna get stolen? The only problem I've had is heavy weather will make my cameras go nuts. Snowstorms would sit and make my email box get spammed with my outdoor facing cameras.

I was thinking, most outdoor cameras are very expensive, and the indoor ones would probably not survive through the winter if put outside, even if they are isolated from the rain/snow. The sheer cold would probably cause them to crack.

So instead of having cameras outside, they could be indoors, but if they are visible it would be a pretty big eye sore, not to mention people would think you're paranoid or something. So instead, they could be hidden in pictures and other items. To run the wire, a hole could be drilled in the wall close to the ceiling and the wiring dropped. Once the install is done, crown molding is installed to hide the wire and the hole.

Just need to figure out ideas for ways to hide a few cameras. Anyone have ideas for that? The only thing I can come up with is a picture with a person in it and the camera is placed at the eye, or a picture with circles. something where the lense won't be obvious. Wireless is probably a bad idea. Smart robbers probably carry wireless cloaking devices that generate tons of RF noise and kill the signals, not to mention if someone manages to hack the wireless and can spy on you. :D

I really like those IP cameras! My wife and I are trying to decide between getting an ADT home security system, a system of surveillance cameras, or both. Here are my thoughts. I think that we will be just fine with an alarm system. There will be sensors on most windows and doorways that will warn you of an intruder. My wife thinks that we should get a bunch of cameras and that will deter any kind of burglar. I think cameras will only capture the crime and do no good. The police will only see the video after the fact. Or, we could get both and really have a heightened sense of security. Any thoughts/feedback?

Check out the Foscam FI8918W. It is at times sold as cheap as $70 shipped after tax (recent thread on slickdeals), and has:

Near 360o panning as well as up and down
Can record motion alerts to a NAS
Can send instant alerts along with six screenshots (1 per second) to your email
Can be viewed and controlled live on your laptop or cellphone over the web (cellphone w/ appropriate app)
Has respectable night vision, although blurry at night for objects in motion
Wireles G
640x480 @ 15fps or 320x240 @ 30fps
Wide angle lens, but with various cheap aftermarket lenses that screw in for narrower or even wider field of view at dealextreme for just a couple bucks
Two way audio w/ pretty decent speakers, although a bit tinny

5769265349_d4614f7567_z.jpg

I have since added a wider angle lens to two of the cameras to capture more of the room, and added two more cameras, one over the entrance to see packages and send motion alerts whenever someone approaches my door, and another for the living room.

Great for keeping an eye on my cats, and perving on my maid as she's on all fours cleaning under the couch.

I'm interested in giving this system a try.

Can you tell me, is it one of those systems that just shows live video feeds and alerts you, or takes a snap shot when motion is detected, or does it also record the footage to a hard drive?

I just use USB webcams for my security system. I have them connected to a separate computer with a VNC server. This way I can view it from my main PC, my phone, etc. A motion detector that alerts my phone would be a nice addition though. I could call the police the second someone breaks in while I am away. I could easily set it up to to detect motion through a PC app and have initiate a macro that uses skype to call my cell number.

I spend a lot of time away from home, sometimes up to 6 to 9 months a year on average. I have a security system but I'm looking for something that would give me a little more sense of security. Has anybody played with a security cam setup that I can access anywhere online? I would like to monitor my driveway especially, as my security system does not alert me if somebody is messing with my car, or looking in my windows.

Last edited:
Talking about alarm systems, ADT, Brinks and all the other nationwide companies are a rip off. They charge you what the system is worth, charge you double what the monitoring is worth and make you sign a 3 year contract.

Here's an alarm panel:

http://www.homesecuritystore.com/p-...050&zmam=55691497&zmas=1&zmac=2&zmap=PC1864NK

And that's by no means the cheapest place to buy it.

You can get monitoring for $25/month or less.

If you aren't comfortable installing it yourself find a good local alarm installer. They can provide monitoring for a reasonable price.

I have a friend that uses old digital cameras hooked to a pc that monitors his drive.

He did something like this. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2333218,00.asp

Put the camera up in the window and spray painted it black to make it not stand out.

You can also use web cameras with the software below.

http://www.simplehelp.net/2006/09/2...tion-detecting-and-recording-security-camera/

http://www.yawcam.com/
How are webcams for this purpose? They seem to have good cost/quality, but they need to be wired which limits installation.

Hi everyone! I am so glad that I found this thread. I don't necessarily need a camera but my husband and I moved to a new neighborhood in February and we were feeling pretty comfortable until about 2 weeks ago. There have been 3 break-ins in 2 weeks! The best thing I can think of to protect us is a security system. I need some advice because I haven't done much research on the different types of systems. I have heard of adt home security indianapolis . Does anyone have any experience with their alarms?
Thanks for any help you can give me!

Anyone have a recommendation for HD cameras that would perform well in a nightclub? I called Axis AB and the person I spoke to seemed less than motivated.

I believe the goal is to take good quality stills.

Back