SED flat screen technology

pbXassassinX1524

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey guysm I open my in box this morning and I found this CES things from Crutchfield in there, so I'm browsing through the TV parts and I saw this little preview of flat-panel technology that blew me away, and I'm hoping in the future we see computer monitors with this implemented in them, although it will probably cost an arm and a leg here's the clip on it. What do you think?
"The American debut of Toshiba/Canon's SED display technology generated serious buzz and was one of the most difficult demos to get into. SED stands for Surface-conduction Electron-emitter Display. It is a revolutionary flat-panel design, which combines the best aspects of LCD (easy-to-manage size and weight, and low power consumption), with the picture quality advantages of a top-notch tube (CRT) TV: excellent response time, natural color, and deep, rich blacks. In fact, the SED panel almost looked like someone had taken a top-quality tube TV and flush-mounted it so that only the screen and bezel were visible.

The prototype we saw was a 36" widescreen set with 720p resolution. Production models (which should begin appearing in very limited numbers by the end of this year) will be in the 50"-55" range, with resolution of 1080p. SED contrast ratio is rated at a mind-boggling 8600:1. The technology is similar to having 2 million tiny picture tubes. An array of electron emitters (one for each pixel) creates images by firing electrons at the phosphor-coated screen.

For the picture quality comparisons, the SED was flanked on the left by a similar-sized plasma panel, and on the right by an LCD. Video material consisted of a series of high-definition clips fed from a prototype HD DVD player. SED's superior color and black level were immediately apparent. Probably the most striking feature was SED's amazing pixel response time (how fast each pixel can switch on and off). When strings of alphabet letters scrolled quickly across the screens, individual letters remained clear and distinct on the SED, while some blurring was visible on both the plasma and LCD. With an incredibly quick claimed response time of 1 millisecond, SED can keep up with sports and other fast-action video, creating a smoother, more natural look.

Toshiba and Canon are positioning SED as the new "high-end" flat-panel TV technology. Based on this demo, it appears to be the real deal! " - Crutchfield

Introduction to SED

steviep said:
I can't wait for the $25000 price tag :D
Actually, SED will be far, far easier to manufacture than LCD and plasma.

Applying inkjet printing technology to develop a high-performance electron emitter and a screen-printing method to produce matrix wiring, we are improving production technologies to manufacture large-screen panels at low cost.

steviep said:
Alright, $15000... lol
Any new technology means $$$
Only the electron emitter layer is truly new technology, and even that part has been in development since the 1980s. All other components are common features in every single CRT.

Sure, the first few models may be a bit expensive, but once production ramps up (during 2006), prices will drop rapidly.

Yeah, if it's easier to manufacture that's good news for the manufacturer's profit margins not so much for the consumer (at least at first).

I'm at a point with technologies like this in the consumer arena where I'll beleive it when I see it. OLED has been promissed now for about five years and it's still only seen in some cell phones, a couple of digital cameras, and maybe if we're lucky and actual full size display this year. I'll bet you that it'll end up being at least a couple of years before SED has any sort of a significant presence in the market. This sort of thing seems to always take longer than it's supposed to because there are simply too many forces of resistance both on the industry and the consumer sides of the equation.

Still I guess it's great there is an alternative, though I doubt that this technology will have what it takes to unseat plasma. For example, if you're in Circuit City, and you can buy a plasma for $3000 or an SED for $12000 and the only real incentive is that on scrolling text the edges are sharper (the only real benefit since plasmas are already fast enough for full-motion video) I somehow doubt that there will a whole lot of SED sales anytime soon. The only way SEDs would be successful is if they debut at around the same price as existing plasmas.

You can't compare OLED and SED in such a way. OLED is a completely new technology, and there are still fundamental issues (longevity of the colours; the organic components decay still too fast, and power usage with larger displays). SED (and FED) is simply an evolved CRT display, which is a very, very old technology.

It's likely that the first SED displays will be sold for around the price of similarly sized plasma/LCD displays.

Back