Seeking Core i7 Build Advice

Venthos

Weaksauce
Well, I think I'm finally going to pull the trigger on a new system from the ground up. My current box is old enough that with everything I'd *have* to replace, it makes reasonable sense to just buy a few more parts to complete a full new build from the ground up so that I have two functional computers.

The major points of my current computer that I'll be replacing:
-ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe
-AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+
-2GB DDR 400 (PC 3200)
-BFG Tech 8800GTX OC

and to answer the sticky:

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Gaming

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
Trying to keep total build within $2,000 - $2,500 but quality of parts is more important than nickels and dimes.

3) Where do you live?
Metro-Detroit area of Michigan

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. Please be very specific.
-Mid-Tower Case (Looking at: Lian Li PC-V1000Z)
-PSU sufficient enough to handle SLI should I upgrade later (Looking at: Corsair 1000HX)
-Intel Core i7 CPU (Looking at: Intel Core i7 940)
-GeForce 280 Card (Looking at: eVGA GeForce 280 GTX SSC Edition, possible FTW edition)
-X58 Motherboard (Looking at: eVGA X58 Motherboard)
-6GB+ of DDR3 Memory (Looking at: CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1333)
-Main/System Hard Drive (Looking at: 150GB Western Digital VelociRaptor WD1500HLFS)
-Good sound card (Looking at: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty)
-Good DVD Burner (Looking at: Samsung SATA SH-S223Q)

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
I will be reusing one hard drive ("junk/storage" drive), my keyboard, mouse, and display.
-Seagate 7200.10 SATA 320GB (ST332062)
-Logitech G15 Keyboard
-Logitech G5 Mouse
-Dell 2407WFP (24" Widescreen; 1920x1200)

6) Will you be overclocking?
No

7) What size monitor do you have or plan to have?
As above, Dell 2407WFP (24" Widescreen; 1920x1200)

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Planning to buy everything by the end of the week

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? etc.
SLI Support - While I won't be using it now, I'd like to have the functionality there for later. RAID or crossfire are not needed. But, I know I'm very limited with the X58 anyway that no matter what I choose I'll be getting a full featured enthusiast/overclocker's board. I'm fine with that.

--

My main dilemma is the Case and PSU. I would PREFER a module PSU but it is not required. My main goal is to get a PSU that is comfortable enough to handle 2x SLI of a GeForce 280 should I go that route in the future. Right now I'll just be getting the one GeForce 280 card, though. The problem is that it seems most of the ones I'm finding that have sufficient cables are huge 1000w+ like the Corsair 1000HX or the big PC Power and Cooling one. The mid-tower case I'm looking at COULD fit one, but i'd basically have to use the annoying extension bracket and have half the PSU hanging out the back.

I'm willing to change up the PSU or the Case to accommodate. Though I do like the case, so if I could find a (preferred modular) PSU that is small enough to not require the extension bracket yet would support GeForce 280 SLI I'd be set.

The other issue is I'm not ENTIRELY set on a GeForce 280 model. I'm confident I want to keep it eVGA to go with my eVGA motherboard, but it's a toss-up between the "SSC" edition and the "FTW" edition. Seems like a $100 difference (taking into account rebates) on NewEgg, though. So, SSC seems to be the better buy.

I'm open up entirely to input/advice on any part of my "list". I'm not set in stone on anything really. I just picked based off of quick reading of reviews, these forums, and prior brand loyalty for the most part.

Any help at all would be much appreciated. I've been stuck all afternoon going back and forth on GFX Card, PSU, and case... The PSU/Case delimma has been a killer. haha.

Your main concerns...

I think any and all GTX280 dual; SLI modular PSUs are longer than the standard size PSU. So, you'll have to use the bracket. Another option is buying a smaller PSU for now, and upgrading it later on if and when you do upgrade to SLI. For instance, the EA650 is on sale for $50 w/ free shipping right now, and thats a stellar deal that would be more than enough for your current build. This way, if you never upgrade to SLI, you wouldn't have wasted any money. However, if you do, this model is so cheap that it shouldn't bother you, considering the cost of 1KW PSUs, lol. You could also sell it later on down the line if you replace it.

Speaking of selling old things, you'll probably better off selling your old GPU and using that money towards a newer generation GPU than goin SLI, since you only have a 24" monitor, which can be handled by a single card (GTX280 and HD4870X2).

No real need to keep the same brand between board/vidcard -- none at all.

Comments on your parts list...

The 940 is only 266Mhz faster than the 920 -- not really worth the $270 price premium, IMO.

I'd go with a Gigabyte or MSI -- but I have no real reason. Maybe because I've read more about those two boards than the others, lol.

Since you're not OC'ing, you could actually stick with DDR3-1066 and not notice a performance difference. However, not that many 1066 6GB kits out there. The cheapest one is Crucial, and doesn't have heatspreaders (which shouldn't be an issue since you're not OC'ing). The next cheapest is G.Skill F3-10666CL9T-6GBNQ -- same specs as the Corsairs, but $25 less. I'd save the $25 and go with G.Skill. My buddy just used two of those kits in his 965EE build, and they work great.

The VRaptor is only slightly faster than modern 7200RPM HDDs. For example, the WD6400AAKS, which uses 320GB platters and only has 16MB cache, can transfer data at an avg rate of 90MB/s @ 12ms; while the VRaptor can do 98MB/s @ 8ms. No, the 4ms faster seek time does not improve performance that much -- at least not enough to warrant its price premium, IMO. So, I'd suggest sticking with the Samsung Spinpoint F1 series, WD Caviar Black (AALS) series or WD6400AAKS, or 'cuda.11th gen.

Another good soundcard I keep hearing about is the Asus Xonar.

Back