Seeking recommendations for second headset (for work). Koss UR-55s from BB?

semisonic9

Gawd
I need a second set of headphones for work.

Currently rocking some old Koss SB-40s, which I bought 3-4 years ago off a recommendation on here. (Is Spaceman still around?) I'd like to swap them out for something newer. This is primarily for listening to Pandora while performing boring sysadmin work. My workstation doesn't have a sound card. Also, I'd like to keep these inexpensive in case they grow legs and walk off one day.

I'd like a decent, inexpensive set of over-ear headphones. They don't have to be a "noise isolation" set, per se, but good passive isolation is a pro. No USB. A long-ish cable, is a plus. Solidly built, and preferably with the cable coming out one side of the headset.

Best Buy has a midnight sale going on, and our company gave us some gift cards our for Christmas that have been gathering dust. I should be able to get these Koss UR-55s for like $0-15. Reviews are on the upper "meh" range, though. BB also has these Sony MDR-XB500 "Extra Bass" headphones on sale, which get good reviews there and on Amazon. Personally, I'm not wild about base. I prefer overall sound quality. Clear mids, highs, and treble.

What else I should look at? Anything under $50 is fair game. Preferably from BB, because I'd love to burn off these crap gift cards already. But not a deal-breaker if not.

~S

Last edited:
UR55's are good. I'd get those. How big is this midnight sale?

UR55s are the best headphones under $50 at BB. The only other consideration is the JVC HA-M750 but that ones sound is not for gaming.

Bottom line is Sony is just not going to be what you want for gaming at this level. Maybe the V600 but that would not be my choice. Koss are pretty tough headphones.

Last edited:
UR55's are good. I'd get those. How big is this midnight sale?

It was decent, but it ended at 8am EST.

I think the UR55s were $35, sale price.

Unfortunately I was at work until 6am (the joy of being a jr sysadmin), and my gift cards were at home. I forgot to order when I got home. :(

For $35, I might just snag these JVC HARX700s off Amazon. And bank the gift cards for another day.

~S

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back