Seeking your input

warthorn

n00b
Hello [H]!

My name is Matt, I go by warthorn at a few forums, mainly EVGA -- been folding with them since early on.

I'm here to ask you all to take a peek at this thread we're working on over there. The purpose of the thread is to demonstrate that many of us fold for the same reasons everyone else does. If you read it, you will also see that I acknowledge there are members on our team who no doubt only got started because of the incentives, but the thread will try to change that by showing them the inspiring (or funny, or epic-win) reasons that folders from all teams got into the cause.

So, if you want to share your reason for folding and help motivate some folders, that would be great; if you're one of the smaller number who are angry about folding promotions, here's a chance to help change the motives of people who only want incentives, rather than just denouncing them. Finally, to echo the thread, I was hoping other teams would start similar daily threads of your own. It could be a boon to your daily production and help keep members active. If anyone here starts a "Why We Fold -- Daily [H] Edition" (lol) it would be great to cross-link you.

PS, I reached out to your team privately first and didn't have good luck. I do not know if this thread will stay up long but I hope enough of you read it and see the good intent before then.

It seems to me that our existing Why We Fold thread is sufficient. It's great that you are trying to show that your teammates fold for purely altruistic reasons and I can see why you would want to do so with the rep that your team has, but we don't have anything to prove.

Good luck with your thread. I hope it achieves everything you want it to. To me, your biggest problem is that you are preaching to the choir. Yor teammates that check the forums regularly are probably not the ones just doing it for the bucks.

I do not know if this thread will stay up .

Where would it go? We don't delete threads here like the evga mods do.

That is true regarding those who visit regularly (a large number). I'm not sure how to more specifically target anyone else though. They probably have to visit at least sometimes to find guides and get help.

We also have had a "why" thread for awhile, the main difference is this gets updated once per day. It's like a daily theme to keep everyone going.

BTW, our mods do not delete threads unless they are spam, obscene, etc. I only mentioned it since the replies I got from my initial contact here were disturbingly acerbic. My apologies if it [thread deletion] isn't common practice @ [H].

You guys are more than welcome to come hang out here at our forums, even if you fold for that "other" team :)

Parja folds for you guys, and we still love him as he is a regular here. Our forums cater to a more mature audience, so it is often like having a non stop party going on here.

Speaking just for myself, I doubt anyone who knows what Folding is for should need motivation. If EVGA was simply trying to get more people to fold, not just to switch to their team, great, the cause benefits. When the cash ends, the people who would have done it for free will continue, the rest will stop.

However, with the way their cash program is designed, I feel that the whole program stinks of their advertising division more than any altruistic goal. Folding is one thing, regardless of the team someone folds on, the research benefits. By requiring people to join the EVGA team, it creates tension and break up in existing tight knit teams, teams that were selflessly trying to contribute to science, all for the benefit of putting the EVGA name at the top of the team score boards.

If EVGA just wanted to help science, great, offer cash to everyone who registers their key regardless of team. The bucks still do their job to promote EVGA products, and new folders will probably join their team anyways. As advertising, this could be even more effective because I buy MSI currently, but if I had 50 EVGA bucks, I would probably switch to EVGA when I buy my 6970. As it is now, amongst folders, EVGA probably generated as much animosity to their brand as good will, hope they feel it is worth it.

Last edited:
If EVGA just wanted to help science, great, offer cash to everyone who registers their key regardless of team. The bucks still do their job to promote EVGA products, and new folders will probably join their team anyways. As advertising, this could be even more effective because I buy MSI currently, but if I had 50 EVGA bucks, I would probably switch to EVGA when I buy my 6970. As it is now, amongst folders, EVGA probably generated as much animosity to their brand as good will, hope they feel it is worth it.
Ignoring the fact that EVGA does Nvidia and not AMD cards...

Ignoring the fact that EVGA does Nvidia and not AMD cards...

I figure that the current climate favors EVGA reconsidering that position, also, Folding has confirmed that an OpenCL client is in the works. :p

His poitn is, you cant use EVGA Bucks to buy a 6970 because EVGA is not a AMD partner, they are nVidia only

Speaking just for myself, I doubt anyone who knows what Folding is for should need motivation. If EVGA was simply trying to get more people to fold, not just to switch to their team, great, the cause benefits. When the cash ends, the people who would have done it for free will continue, the rest will stop.

However, with the way their cash program is designed, I feel that the whole program stinks of their advertising division more than any altruistic goal. Folding is one thing, regardless of the team someone folds on, the research benefits. By requiring people to join the EVGA team, it creates tension and break up in existing tight knit teams, teams that were selflessly trying to contribute to science, all for the benefit of putting the EVGA name at the top of the team score boards.

very good points there. minus the fact that EVGA doesnt make AMD/ATI cards and that nvidia's doing their own part to remove any of EVGA's competition by getting rid of XFX and bankrupting BFG. which were their only primary competition.

Sadly this thread has gone far off topic.

The point here was to move on and focus on all of us as an overarching folding community rather than rehashing the motives or design of the bucks stuff. Rehashing that in this thread accomplishes nothing.

Is anyone actually interested in contributing to the thread, either by signing up or by suggesting something that would make it useful? Your stories would be nice to hear on a given date and would have double impact as visitors from another team.

Well with respect to the reason that I fold... I'm looking at going into medicine or biomedical research. Although protein folding is not exactly the area that I am most interested in (I'm more interested in a different part of gene expression), it is certainly an important part what makes our bodies work or, if it is abnormal, a part of what makes our bodies malfunction. Although I can't claim to be able to analyze the bioinformatics (yet), I like that I can at least help though something as simple as running a program. Besides, who knows? I might have to actually utilize distributed computing in the future, and how can I expect other people to do it if I'm not willing to do so myself?

Also, as noted, there's already a "why we fold" thread on here somewhere.

Last edited:
We have the same type thread here, it goes clear back to '04.

It has the [H]ard bard's musings.

I think we are content with our thread.

We have the same type thread here, it goes clear back to '04.

It has the [H]ard bard's musings.

I think we are content with our thread.

pretty much sums it up..

that and i just dont want to have anything to do with team evga what so ever..

I have nothing against evga or any of the other teams. I think it's a good thing that your doing, and hopefully a mature thread discussing a real problem will be good for evga's board as a whole.

I'm pretty indifferent to the why's and how's of evga's success. They ramped up production to unheard of levels, and created a wave that increased production all down it's path. I don't think that's a bad thing at all.
Whatever the reason, the real winner is folding@home, and the work they are doing to better humanity.

The point here was to move on and focus on all of us as an overarching folding community rather than rehashing the motives or design of the bucks stuff. Is anyone actually interested in contributing to the thread, either by signing up or by suggesting something that would make it useful?
Welcome - I agree 100%; I am pretty much convinced that no one who is reading this thread is willing to fold for bucks. I think we can put that issue behind us.

Let's please focus entirely on the positive - if you won't fold for bucks, what are you willing to do for evga bucks? Would you strangle a kitten? Tip over an old lady? Steal a candy bar?

Personally - if you gave me a bunch of evga bucks, I think I would be willing to post photos of myself doing the moonwalk in a thong.

Yeah, I saw the other thread you guys already have. Our forum has one that dates back as well. I'm not sure how else to get my point across...... My goal was to create some solidarity between our teams instead of rehashing the same complaints. I've posted this same thread at OCN and am trying to get my account at Maximum PC to work to do the same. Not to give you a life story but trying to help people move past their differences is in my nature; I suppose it is genuinely hard to look past your usual ways since you guys don't know me and don't see my post in that context, and only have my words and association with EVGA to go by. At the very least I would like you to understand that I personally do not receive any bucks and was with my team since before there were any giveaways or other promotions. The only thing I get out of folding is the satisfaction of doing it with teammates who I consider friends, and sweating my balls off every night in an unventilated room.

If anyone would like to share your reasons for folding in the thread I linked above, so that people outside [H] could see a great first-hand example of how decent you guys are, and how similar your reasons for folding, and how you guys are willing to extend (and accept) an olive branch, that would be great and would benefit a lot of people. Otherwise I'll leave you guys be on this topic, I'm clearly not having any positive impact here. Thank you for the more encouraging non-passive aggressive and non-sarcastic comments from several of you. I thought kirtar's reply was especially cool and hope my friends from EVGA stop by here and read it.

Last edited:
When I moved my mouse over the link and saw the EVGA link something strange happened. My fingers tensed up and i wasn't able to click on the link. So I proceeded to the doctors and apparently I have the [H] disease. EVGA, care to find a cure for me? lol

ROC

Yeah, I saw the other thread you guys already have. Our forum has one that dates back as well. I'm not sure how else to get my point across...... My goal was to create some solidarity between our teams instead of rehashing the same complaints. I've posted this same thread at OCN and am trying to get my account at Maximum PC to work to do the same. Not to give you a life story but trying to help people move past their differences is in my nature; I suppose it is genuinely hard to look past your usual ways since you guys don't know me and don't see my post in that context, and only have my words and association with EVGA to go by. At the very least I would like you to understand that I personally do not receive any bucks and was with my team since before there were any giveaways or other promotions. The only thing I get out of folding is the satisfaction of doing it with teammates who I consider friends, and sweating my balls off every night in an unventilated room.

If anyone would like to share your reasons for folding in the thread I linked above, so that people outside [H] could see a great first-hand example of how decent you guys are, and how similar your reasons for folding, and how you guys are willing to extend (and accept) an olive branch, that would be great and would benefit a lot of people. Otherwise I'll leave you guys be on this topic, I'm clearly not having any positive impact here. Thank you for the more encouraging non-passive aggressive and non-sarcastic comments from several of you. I thought kirtar's reply was especially cool and hope my friends from EVGA stop by here and read it.

sorry to make you the middle man of all this. its nothing against you or 99% of the team. what we have a problem with is EVGA basically buying points. and thats not something we stand for. we have spent our own hard earned money with no help from any companies to get to number 1 in F@H. only to be taken out of the number 1 spot by a team buying points. until that stops there will always be bad blood between our teams.

(speaking for myself and not the team though im sure i speak for a lot of people here)

The purpose of the thread is to demonstrate that many of us fold for the same reasons everyone else does.

I don't think anyone here doubts that some people for EVGA fold for the right reasons.

If you read it, you will also see that I acknowledge there are members on our team who no doubt only got started because of the incentives, but the thread will try to change that by showing them the inspiring (or funny, or epic-win) reasons that folders from all teams got into the cause.

I wish you all the luck with this but forgive me for being a cynic and saying that's not possible. As long as the bucks and prizes are there, some people will fold only to get the bucks. Until EVGA decides to cut out the program completely, no one will know (but we'll certainly speculate until proven otherwise - no offense). Sadly I doubt EVGA will kill off any of those bonus programs, so we'll never know. I do hope one day I can be proven wrong in my cynicism but we'll see. ;)

Here's an idea, just put a link to our "Why we DC" thread in your OP at evga. That way evga members can see why [H] has been folding, with posts from this forum dating back 6 1/2 years.
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=759393
Not ideal (not so much a two-way interaction nor a daily reminder), but a good start... I'll add it later tonight. :) Thank you for the idea.

Again, also appreciate the other non-sarcastic comments, thank you for those.

I agree that it isn't ideal, but it seems to me our teams have some fundamental differences that would be hard to reconcile without drastic changes. I think it might be about the best you're gonna get.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

nice idea....most of the [H]orde probably wont join in, however linking to the thread we have may be the best alternative

Agree and appreciate that at least this much has been accomplished by visiting here. I added your Why we DC thread, as well as some similar threads from OCN. Thanks guys.

I'm going to try to hang out here more often, hopefully some day we will find even more in common. For example, I like letters that are bracketed. They look [C]ool. :D

Agree and appreciate that at least this much has been accomplished by visiting here. I added your Why we DC thread, as well as some similar threads from OCN. Thanks guys.

I'm going to try to hang out here more often, hopefully some day we will find even more in common. For example, I like letters that are bracketed. They look [C]ool. :D

Heh, id have to say that at least 100% of us here fold for a cause or for a reason, maybe selfish reasons, I myself fold for a selfish reason, my own health... I know alot of people over at EVGA, and all of them fold to find cures as well and I hope that the rest of EVGA feels the same way, at some point, as the rest of us do.

Warthorn I hope that all works well for you and the thread you have made, maybe giving EVGA another look at how things are done.

Back