Seemingly a scratch on D800 mirror

Weenis

I said WEENIS, not...
So I about shit my pants today. I was putting my strap (snagged a black rapid sport slim.. normal straps blow..) on my d800.. went well then I popped a different lens on. Camera slipped out of my hands and hit me in the jimmy. So as per always I checked it and was like " DA FUQ"!?!?! theres this 1 inch long scratch across the mirror. I know the grip hitting my pants couldn't have caused this obviously... it's uniform and recessed and theres absolutely nothing on my pants that could do that.

Called amazon and they're next daying me a new body. After doing a bit of research some people say that it's the rear of the mirror shining through... but looking at it from different angles with the mirror moved it still looks like a damn scratch.

I'm not taking a chance though.. anyone else with D800s notice this?

Nothing to worry about. The scratch may show on the viewfinder, but it doesn't affect the sensor so your photos will be fine.

The D800 is the biggest QA fuck-up in the history of Nikon, in my opinion. I am pretty sure I have some kind of scratch or smear on my mirror as well. Apparently nobody in the factories gave a shit, on top of the huge auto-focus debacle.

I know it won't affect the sensor.. it just pisses me off as its an 3000 dollar camera..

Regardless amazon is taking care of it and overnighting me a new camera.. so worst case scenario it is the same but I had a few hundred free actuations..
they apparently have a "camera concierge". The first lady who got me on the phone saw the price of the camera and literally said "oh shit it's expensive" lol

That'd definitely piss me off. I got some dirt on the sensor of my 6D, in a corner spot where the UI elements of the Live View display essentially covered it up, and I got scared- but at least it went away with an in-camera sensor cleaning.

Back