Self-Guiding Bullet Could Strike from a Mile Away

I thought obesity was an epidemic in America. :rolleyes:

I personally think it's what has being done to the food more than the amount of food consumed, well, to a degree. The food is being artificially tarnished and that is exactly the food poorer people must consume on a day to day basis due to their lack of purchasing power. (hormones, preservatives, artificial flavors, dyes, etc)

Also, millions starve in other countries so....:rolleyes:

Oh...... when I saw the title, I was thinking..... Curving bullets from Wanted! I was disappoint.

"[The bullet] has an optical sensor embedded in its nose for the detection of a laser on its target, Sandia said in a release today."

That sounds like it's laser guided to me, which is nothing at all like "self guided." Sounds like the bullet is going to go wherever the weapon-mounted or third person's laser is pointed. We already have several forms of laser-guided munitions, so I'm wondering where the "news" is here. Is is because it's smaller?

The guy writes for CNet, so he is probably completely clueless about the subject matter. He left many basic questions unanswered, and I doubt it was because the information was unavailable.

Also, everyone seems to be getting caught up on its (lack of) accuracy at one mile.

This doesn't seem like it's meant to replace sniper rifles. It seems like it's meant to improve (indirect?) regular infantry fire at longer distances...

Ah, much better article. Here we go.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/01/31/sandia_steerable_bullet/

There are still unanswered questions, but indeed it is meant to improve regular infantry's accuracy.

"Jones said the round could be fired from a smooth-bore barrel that could be attached to the standard M2 heavy machine gun used by armed forces around the world. A swift barrel change would let army squads use the round to take out distant static or slow-moving targets, by lofting the shot high and then guiding it in by laser."

So, it will likely be indirect with a large number of rounds fired, as I expected. Nothing about this seemed to have anything at all to do with snipers.

By the way, within eight inches at one mile is very impressive for what it's designed to do -- and it obviously isn't designed to be deployed by a solo sniper or sniper team.

Been around for decades. Seen it in a movie called "Runaway" with Tom Selleck and Gene Simmons.

Made Gene Simmons a crack shot :)

As a long distance shooter, 8 inches at 1 mile is damn impressive. Snipers can't do that on a moving target at 1000meters (0.6 miles). Especially when a moving target has a smaller profile (half that of a frontal human profile standing). Remember, when someone is walking horizontally, you are aiming at his side.

Normal .50 cal round has around 2800fps-3200fps from the muzzle. So it's about 2 seconds for the time before impact at a mile. A LOT can change in 2 seconds.

so now I can hold my gun sideways, "gang-sta"-style and have it actually hit my intended target? Sweet!

Totally old news, I saw this on CSI last year ;)

In other news, this is pretty freaking cool :)

VERY old news, I saw this on Runaway from 1984, powered by Gene Simmons!
Gene84.7.jpg

VERY old news, I saw this on Runaway from 1984, powered by Gene Simmons!
Gene84.7.jpg

Wasn't there an old flick which used guns that once you aimed the bullet would hit the target? And I mean OLD, not the gun from The 5th Element the arms dealer sold.

That's the one! I was thinking more along the lines of Tom Selleck but hey Gene Simmons is cool too I guess ;)

That's the one! I was thinking more along the lines of Tom Selleck but hey Gene Simmons is cool too I guess ;)

haha, yeah, Gene was the one with the guided bullet gun.
I love the size of the bullets themselves: :D
heat-seeking_bullet.jpg

Didn't they have bullets like this in that movie Fifth Element? Maybe the ones in the movie were cooler. Seems to take the skill out of it. Though I'd much rather have bullets in an unmanned drone like this, less chance for collateral damage.

Yes they did, but those bullets were even better. You "Marked" your target and then could point the gun any direction, even 180 degrees away, and it would still hit wherever you had marked.

The scene where this was demonstrated was when Zorg was paying off the Mangalores with his newest gun. That was just one of the many features he demonstrated to them.

Call of Duty is creating a generation of young people with such terrible aim that the military now has to come up with bullets that include aim assist.

Old news. An artillery shell is nothing more than a glorified bullet and they have had laser guided ones for decades. I was even peripherally involved in firing one.... It did not go well. Cost $100,000 and it was so far off target nobody even saw where it landed. Took a 2-days of searching to figure out what happened to it. Fortunately I can say with all honesty that it wasn't even vaguely my fault.

Yay, more money spent to invent something to kill people instead of something helpful.

Back