Sennheiser HD 650 Open Ear Headphones $339 FS B&H Photo

Not at Amazon though, right? If they're going to be that price again soon and for any length of time, that's great, but that's crazy! You used to be able to sell them used for more than that! I paid $400 for mine when I got them and would never have dreamed we'd see prices this low. They're every bit as good today as the day they came out....wonder what Sennheiser is up to? Maybe the next generation is in the works....I'll say this much, they were well worth the $400 in my view.

Figured to just bump this since it was already mentioned, Amazon currently has the HD600 for $279.00 and the HD650 for $326.81.....good time to jump in for the last headphones you'll ever need not named HD800 or with the words "planar magnetic" or "electrostatic" in their description :p

lol at this cause i tend to jump from set to set, but since i got my 650's i haven't even touched my 990s, or my shure 1540s probably gonna sell em. 650's (even without $999 cable) are by far my favorite and likely the best sub $1k cans you ll find...although ive been eyeing those Telsa T1's =P

HD600's were $239 and $245 within the past couple weeks, if it were me I would be looking for them to drop under $250 again before I bought.

They were that price just a couple days ago. I almost bought them. Best thing to do, if you are interested in any of the Sennheiser line of headphones, is get setup to receive notifications on price changes. They are running deals all the time. It's good to keep an eye on MassDrop also. I'm getting both my pair of KRK Rokit Powered 5 Monitors and also the Philips SHP9500 Headphones tomorrow.

I really suggest trying these out before buying. the clamping force was too strong so it was uncomfortable to wear these for an extended period of time. really detracted from the enjoyability. also the note was too soft, even through a amp and DAC. I went with hd700's afterwards and the difference was worlds apart.

I really suggest trying these out before buying. the clamping force was too strong so it was uncomfortable to wear these for an extended period of time. really detracted from the enjoyability. also the note was too soft, even through a amp and DAC. I went with hd700's afterwards and the difference was worlds apart.

This information is largely erroneous. You can make the HD6x0 line clamp as tightly or lightly as desired. The earpieces are mounted on metal slide arms. If you simply extend the metal arms all the way you can easily and safely flex them to adjust the clamping force. The plastic headband is NOT the place to adjust clamp force with the HD6x0 line, it will return to it's original shape after flexion, the metal arms however are very easy to adjust. No need to spend 2-3x as much on HD700's if fit is the issue.

This information is largely erroneous. You can make the HD6x0 line clamp as tightly or lightly as desired. The earpieces are mounted on metal slide arms. If you simply extend the metal arms all the way you can easily and safely flex them to adjust the clamping force. The plastic headband is NOT the place to adjust clamp force with the HD6x0 line, it will return to it's original shape after flexion, the metal arms however are very easy to adjust. No need to spend 2-3x as much on HD700's if fit is the issue.

that's fine, but i'm not willing to bend a premium headset to achieve comfort. it was ultimately the combination of that (or lack thereof) and my disposition against the sound signature that made me move. I find the HD700's more exciting and enjoy the larger soundstage.

Last edited:
that's fine, but i'm not willing to bend a premium headset to achieve comfort. it was ultimately the combination of that (or lack thereof) and my disposition against the sound signature that made me move. I find the HD700's more exciting and enjoy the larger soundstage.
This is one of the more facepalm worthy comments I've read.

What do you think your head was doing when you wore them? Unless they crushed your skull when you put them on, your head was bending them anyways. It's not like you bend the extension arms back and forth in your hands every day, you flex them gently a few times to get the clamping force just right and you're done.

What do you think your head was doing when you wore them? Unless they crushed your skull when you put them on, your head was bending them anyways. It's not like you bend the extension arms back and forth in your hands every day, you flex them gently a few times to get the clamping force just right and you're done.

i agree somewhat, but i don't think its facepalm worthy. id image that for some people getting a $400 pair of headphones is a HUGE deal and that if they are less than spectacular they might feel like its not worth doing anything to, ie bending a little or modding, etc etc...theyd rather return them and go another route...so i can see the recommendation to get the 700's. each persons head is different, personally i don't have an issue bending the shit outta my headphones,cause frankly they were designed for it. but i doubt its worth finger pointing when someone else doesn't want to. The 650s are by far the most comfortable headset ive worn buts thats me.

sorry to offend you.

like i said, it wasn't only the clamping force that drove the switch. the 700's instantly disappear out of the box. but more importantly provide me with a far more enjoyable listening experience.

Last edited:
i agree somewhat, but i don't think its facepalm worthy. id image that for some people getting a $400 pair of headphones is a HUGE deal and that if they are less than spectacular they might feel like its not worth doing anything to, ie bending a little or modding, etc etc...theyd rather return them and go another route...so i can see the recommendation to get the 700's. each persons head is different, personally i don't have an issue bending the shit outta my headphones,cause frankly they were designed for it. but i doubt its worth finger pointing when someone else doesn't want to. The 650s are by far the most comfortable headset ive worn buts thats me.

thanks, i recognize bending is not uncommon but i didn't sign up for it.. just a matter of personal preference i guess.

thanks, i recognize bending is not uncommon but i didn't sign up for it.. just a matter of personal preference i guess.

I think the pushback on your thought process is humorous; you value initial fit comfort more than 300usd; that's all; the clamping soured you on the 650s. That's not *wrong* just different view point value.

I personally wouldn't use that as deciding factor; but I bought a Schiit Valhalla over a Project Sunrise amp for similar reasons. (open design would have been a bonus to me)

Prices on these are insane. Pick them up while you can, kiddies. Cans this good for under $300 is a damned steal, provided you really care about sound quality. Just be sure to feed them a decent signal, at least.

I picked up the hd650 pair from Adorama through Newegg. Wont ship til next week due to Passover.

They will supplant my HD595 pair that has been in service for ~10 years.

650s are great. I used just a magni for an amp for awhile and a soundcard for a dac but eventually upgraded to a modi dac for better sound and yes it makes a difference. 200$ is pretty cheap too and it works wonders. These are amazing for games and just about everything else.

Back