2[H]4U
September 2007 NPD Sales Figures:

Xbox 360 -- 527.8K
Wii -- 501K
DS -- 495.8K
PlayStation 2 -- 215K
PSP -- 284.5K
PlayStation 3 -- 119.4K

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/14856/September-Xbox-360-Tops-Hardware-and-Software-Sales/
http://www.joystiq.com/2007/10/18/september-npd-xbox-360-takes-the-lead-halo-3-to-thank/

I think its safe to say Halo 3 had a little bit of an effect.

The xbox360 sales have increased more then 200% in 2 months (xbox360 July = 170 units sold). It even manage to surpass the Wii's sales, even if its is only for a month.

What can we say about the Wii. Why are these things selling like crazy? Well, I did enjoy Metroid Prime 3.

Its sad to see the PS3 sales decrease from last month considering sales usually increase for the holidays starting in September. Maybe people were waiting for the price drop.

ps3 is a failure. There's no other way to look at it. A year after release (almost) and the PS2 is still outselling it.

ps3 is a failure. There's no other way to look at it. A year after release (almost) and the PS2 is still outselling it.

I still think it's too early to say PS3 is a failure. If Gamecube and it's "Profit ALL through the generation" taught us last time, even coming in third doesn't necessarily equate to failure.

That said...WOW, I didn't expect PS3 to get so badly *manhandled* by 360. I mean fuck, dude, it's like 360 detached the hard drive with a USB cable and proceeded to pistol-whip PS3 to a bloody pulp for the month! *DAMN*. With 360 *easily* having hte best games lineup for the holiday season, this could become a trend for the balance of the year (though I do expect the price drops on PS3 to help it at least move a few more units...)

I think that is safe to say.

Anyway it will be interesting to see how halo3 helps it in the next few months as well.

I'm wondering if MS will drop the price of the 360 again to compete with the ps3 some more and try to take some more steam off it in the US.

Anyway it will be interesting to see how halo3 helps it in the next few months as well.

I'm wondering if MS will drop the price of the 360 again to compete with the ps3 some more and try to take some more steam off it in the US.

I really hope so. If there's one thing that would really help out the "HD generation", it's a goold old fashioned *Price War* :D

Bring on the $299 Premium and the $349 Elite, thank you very much! And while you're at it, bundle in some fucking Wifi love, if Nintendo can do it with the $129 DS and $249 Wii, MS can damn well do it with the 360, any flavor.

I really hope so. If there's one thing that would really help out the "HD generation", it's a goold old fashioned *Price War* :D

Bring on the $299 Premium and the $349 Elite, thank you very much! And while you're at it, bundle in some fucking Wifi love, if Nintendo can do it with the $129 DS and $249 Wii, MS can damn well do it with the 360, any flavor.

Just lower the price of the wi-fi

I think the xbox360's $50 price advantage + 2 free games included + the great holiday game lineup put MS right where they want to be. This will allow MS to drop the price heavily once the PS3's big exclusive titles start releasing next year. So, right now the xbox360 has the software advantage and next year MS can have the price advantage. I don't think they need both. Although they do for now, even if the price advantage is only $50.

Comparing the PS3 40GB (releasing November 2nd) to the xbox360 20GB Holiday Bundle.

i dont know about where you guys are, but here at Best Buy we can get a Premium with HDMI and Forza2 and Ultimate Alliance for $349

Those numbers say alot.
Looking at last months numbers 360 sales more than doubled, Wii sold 100,000 more :eek:, PS3 continued the same steady loss from July.
Weird how Halo 3 did not really effect the other consoles (Wii:100k more; PS3:about same loss as previous month), unless you expected PS3 to go up, but I dont recall anything major released recently on that console. (Its only an 11k loss over the previous month.)

Thats crazy how Wii went UP despite the mad advertising for Halo 3 everywhere. I wonder if Prime 3 did in fact make the sales go up. August numbers were like 220k+ for what, 3 days? (Aug 29?)

Nintendo is getting PAID.

The software sales are even more interesting. Taken from the teamxbox article:

"In spite of the unprecedented success of “Halo 3,” Xbox 360 continued to drive third-party games sales across all platforms. PS3 and Wii had ZERO third party titles in the top ten console title list for the month, while Xbox 360 weighed in with 3. Since November, third party partners have seen their titles hit the top ten 27 times for Xbox 360, compared to 2 for PS3 and 1 for Wii. "

I find this the most interesting. It shows why the xbox360 is getting lots the 3rd party support and will continue to in the future. Also interesting to see the xbox360 have ~75% of all software sales because of Halo 3.

i have to assume the fact that MS addressed the dependability issues for the 360 had to factor in as well, i haven't seen anyone that has one of the new consoles with the added cooling go RRoD on them, not that it hasn't happened, but if even 3% of the new consoles did, it would be minuscule compared to past iterations of the 360, which would help it's rep greatly, i know my newly redesigned 360 hasn't missed a lick yet

If Nintendo stays in the black, then I hope to god they focus on more innovative things down the line...

picture the successor to the Wii now... low pricepoint and improved everything... unlike the PS3... seemed like a downgrade as far as games went...

September 2007 NPD Sales Figures:

Xbox 360 -- 527.8K
Wii -- 501K
DS -- 495.8K
PlayStation 2 -- 215K
PSP -- 284.5K
PlayStation 3 -- 119.4K

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/14856/September-Xbox-360-Tops-Hardware-and-Software-Sales/
http://www.joystiq.com/2007/10/18/september-npd-xbox-360-takes-the-lead-halo-3-to-thank/

The xbox360 sales have increased more then 200% in 2 months (xbox360 July = 170 units sold). It even manage to surpass the Wii's sales, even if its is only for a month.

What can we say about the Wii. Why are these things selling like crazy? Well, I did enjoy Metroid Prime 3.

Its sad to see the PS3 sales decrease from last month considering sales usually increase for the holidays starting in September. Maybe people were waiting for the price drop.

I think the biggest story is attach rates. The 360 continues to dominate in that regard. The Wii anecdotally is the least played of all the consoles and therefore the one with people buying the machine itself but not much software. That was bourne out by the report from the nielson raiting company confirming that the wii is the least played.

Bodes well for continued 3rd party support for the 360.

I still think it's too early to say PS3 is a failure. If Gamecube and it's "Profit ALL through the generation" taught us last time, even coming in third doesn't necessarily equate to failure.

That said...WOW, I didn't expect PS3 to get so badly *manhandled* by 360. I mean fuck, dude, it's like 360 detached the hard drive with a USB cable and proceeded to pistol-whip PS3 to a bloody pulp for the month! *DAMN*. With 360 *easily* having hte best games lineup for the holiday season, this could become a trend for the balance of the year (though I do expect the price drops on PS3 to help it at least move a few more units...)

The GC was profitable.

The PS3.... isn't.

;)

Are the software numbers out yet?

1. Halo 3 (all three SKUs - Xbox 360) – 3.3 million
2. Wii Play w/ remote (Wii) – 282K
3. Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (DS) – 224K
4. Madden NFL 08 (PS2) – 205K
5. Skate (Xbox 360) – 175K
6. Madden NFL 08 (Xbox 360) – 173K
7. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (Wii) – 167K
8. BioShock (Xbox 360) – 150K
9. Brain Age 2: More Training in Minutes a Day (DS) – 141K
10. Heavenly Sword (PS3) – 139K

1. Halo 3 (all three SKUs - Xbox 360) – 3.3 million
2. Wii Play w/ remote (Wii) – 282K
3. Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (DS) – 224K
4. Madden NFL 08 (PS2) – 205K
5. Skate (Xbox 360) – 175K
6. Madden NFL 08 (Xbox 360) – 173K
7. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (Wii) – 167K
8. BioShock (Xbox 360) – 150K
9. Brain Age 2: More Training in Minutes a Day (DS) – 141K
10. Heavenly Sword (PS3) – 139K

3.3 MILLION. In 7 days. Wow.

I think that makes a little over 600k for Bioshock now, and 386k Metroid Prime 3.

Wow at Halo 3 though. I wonder if those were all the fans. Be interesting to see how much of a dive it will take for October. Maybe ONLY 500k :eek:...:) Man, thats insane.

i think everyone on Live with a friends list knew the Halo numbers would be huge, for a couple weeks or whatever everybody in my friends list was "Playing Halo 3"

also consider how much MS is bringing in by Live, read an article saying that something like 80% of 360 owners were on Live and 60% of those bought an average of 2 movies and 3 games a month or something like that......if you do the math...they are raking in 7+ digit figures on something they have very little other than marketing in....they dont even host the games played online.....it's genious

Those numbers say alot.
Looking at last months numbers 360 sales more than doubled, Wii sold 100,000 more :eek:, PS3 continued the same steady loss from July.
Weird how Halo 3 did not really effect the other consoles (Wii:100k more; PS3:about same loss as previous month), unless you expected PS3 to go up, but I dont recall anything major released recently on that console. (Its only an 11k loss over the previous month.)

Thats crazy how Wii went UP despite the mad advertising for Halo 3 everywhere. I wonder if Prime 3 did in fact make the sales go up. August numbers were like 220k+ for what, 3 days? (Aug 29?)

Nintendo is getting PAID.

September NPD was a 5 week month. That explains the Wii increase.

It also makes the PS3 numbers look even worse.

something tells me one week didnt make or break any of them....there's a continuing trend

The GC was profitable.

The PS3.... isn't.

;)

Valid point, but who knows, it might be, down the line :). I'm just saying--3rd place isn't necessarily a place of loss, it *can* be a place of profit, which is, in the end, what the game is really all about.

i told my brother to get a 360....that all the good games would be going that way....but he got a PS3 60Gb for like $270 + shipping (Best Buy employee private auction), so i guess if time shows the 360 to be superior he will be able to sell it without losing and pay for the 360:D

A number of good games have or will come out in October... so it will be interesting to see what happens.

I just wish there was at least 1 worth playing on the PS3... so far nothing is jumping out as a must have game.

I just wish there was at least 1 worth playing on the PS3... so far nothing is jumping out as a must have game.

Games on PS3 I'd like to play:

Warhawk
Heavenly sword (even if it is a God of War ripoff, LOL)
Kinda sorta Motorstorm

That's about it, though, and not one of them is a system seller for me. I'll say MGS4 goes without saying, but...I still wouldn't buy a system for it unless it was $299 or less. And the Slim model, I just can't stand that obese monstrosity right now. It's bad enough I have to cope with the bulk of 360 :p

People probably waited for the new price cuts for PS3's. I would have waited if I wanted to buy a PS3, but I don't want one.

Very impressive numbers by Microsoft! 500k+ sales in a month that's not November or December is pretty fantastic, and that goes for Nintendo, too.

I _suspect_ this marks the end of the Wii's dominance. Japan is down to ~100k Wiis per month at this point, which isn't bad given the size of that market, but does indicate that saturation is a real possibility here in the US, too.

Sony's dead last, and I'm not sure how they expect to dig themselves out of the hole at this point. Blu-Ray is in a much weaker position than it was last year, the PS3's library has not improved much, and price cuts don't seem to be having much of an effect (perhaps because they're coming with feature reductions?). There are a few promising titles coming out next year, certainly, but the momentum has shifted dramatically away from the console.

I'm not surprised by the numbers, at all. I knew with the price drop and the release of Halo 3 the Xbox 360 sales would really increase. Still, with that said, it's crazy to see Halo selling 3.3 MILLION, while the number 2 game is just over at 282 thousand, which is by no means bad... but Halo 3 just dominated.

Hardware wise the 360 and Wii are very close, as well as the DS. With the 360 outselling the PS3 5 to 1, and the Wii, despite it's weaker hardware, doing so well, it's safe to say price point is a big factor (not that we didn't already know that). I think Sony was banking on being able to get away with such a high price, because of a loyal fanbase, due to the past success of the PS and PS2. When they made comments about how the price should be higher and people are lucky it's such a deal, I think they really felt it was going to be the clear winner right from the start.

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see the numbers over the course of the Holiday shopping season, and see who is able to keep sales up over the next few months.

3.3 million in such a short amount of time is amazing, good to hear Halo 3 sold well, as expected.

I _suspect_ this marks the end of the Wii's dominance. Japan is down to ~100k Wiis per month at this point, which isn't bad given the size of that market, but does indicate that saturation is a real possibility here in the US, too.
I don't see how you can conclude that at all.

The Wii is still going strong and steady. The 360's massive surge in the one month that the fastest-selling game in history *barely* got it over the Wii's mark for the same time period.

Expect 360 sales to fall back down below Wii sales levels immediately.

Halo 3 sold more in a week than the rest of the top 10 did in 5 weeks.... COMBINED

just let that simmer for a bit

I don't see how you can conclude that at all.

The Wii is still going strong and steady. The 360's massive surge in the one month that the fastest-selling game in history *barely* got it over the Wii's mark for the same time period.

Expect 360 sales to fall back down below Wii sales levels immediately.

I don't see how you conclude that at all. :)

Seriously though, keep in mind that halo was out for 1 week, not the entire month. If wii beat 360 the same way it was beating it before halo 3 came out during the first few weeks of that month, then during that last week 360 absolutely murdered the wii if it made enough to catch up in one week alone. Halo is gonna last more than a week.

I don't see how you conclude that at all. :)

Seriously though, keep in mind that halo was out for 1 week, not the entire month. If wii beat 360 the same way it was beating it before halo 3 came out during the first few weeks of that month, then during that last week 360 absolutely murdered the wii if it made enough to catch up in one week alone. Halo is gonna last more than a week.

It's a bit early to call the death of the Wii since it's still the best-selling console in the PAL and JPN regions.

But there definitely has been a downturn in sales. Personally, I think it's just the lull before Christmas and the lack of games but in two months, we'll be able to tell more about it.

Downturn?
What numbers are you guys looking at? Sales went UP.
They sold 400k Wii's in August, and 500k in September.

So uh, yeah. Wheres the downturn?

Downturn?

There is no downturn. The "downturn" was a very, very slight drop on a weekly basis.

360 sales blew through the roof, thanks in large part to Halo. Wii sales stayed steady on a weekly basis.

Downturn?

5 weeks in September vs. 4 weeks in August. And the Wii has taken a huge hit in Japan over the past month.

Back